Thread: Ukraine: military (Aug '14 to mid-June '15) closed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From the Independent:

The Independent can reveal that the peace plan, being worked on by both Angela Merkel and Vladimir Putin, hinges on two main ambitions: stabilising the borders of Ukraine and providing the financially troubled country with a strong economic boost, particularly a new energy agreement ensuring security of gas supplies.

More controversially, if Ms Merkel’s deal were to be acceptable to the Russians, the international community would need to recognise Crimea’s independence and its annexation by Russia, a move that some members of the United Nations might find difficult to stomach.
    The incident with the Malaysian flight stalled the negotiations. Also - the Crimean events remind me in some way of the U.S. annexation of Texas. Just a thought.

Anyway, seems like the Germans are the only ones offering a solution that restores functional political relationships and doesn't involve killing more people. Fancy that.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    From the Independent:

Anyway, seems like the Germans are the only ones offering a solution that restores functional political relationships and doesn't involve killing more people. Fancy that.
    It's owner has been discussed before. Maybe this means that there is some truth behind it, maybe not. Who knows.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    It's owner has been discussed before. Maybe this means that there is some truth behind it, maybe not. Who knows.
    Sure. German government denies it of course - but that's part of secret negotiations. Exposing them before completion tends to sabotage them since they're dealing with sensitive subjects that otherwise could not be resolved in public. So which side is Lebedev on?

EDIT: I'm not familiar with any significant problems in The Independent's past reporting or credibility.
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 08-02-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

An interesting article in light that the large number of videos hitting the web indicating large numbers of Russian tanks, SAM10s, APC, GRADS and artillery have been crossings since 29 Jul coupled with Russian soldiers blogging from inside the Ukraine.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-invasion.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    An interesting article in light that the large number of videos hitting the web indicating large numbers of Russian tanks, SAM10s, APC, GRADS and artillery have been crossings since 29 Jul coupled with Russian soldiers blogging from inside the Ukraine.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-invasion.html
    Outlaw, once again for the US and the EU to accept that what is happening in eastern Ukraine is a Russian invasion would require a response. No balls for that in those places.

Council Member

JMA---fully agree--that is why I have said at the beginning of the Crimea event here in SWJ--the US should have called out the Russian INF violation as well as the failure to disarm under OSCE agreements.

Only now are they calling it out--still though not on the OSCE violations.

A solid read on the Russian INF issue. The article is interesting when one goes back and reads up on the new Russian nuclear doctrine since about 2012.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...r-11001?page=2

@JMA: I think those in question are mostly those with some German background whose ancestors, called by the Tzars, emigrated a long time ago to settle down in Russia. Germans made arguably the biggest contribuition to the Russian economy, culture and military in the last centuries of all other ethnic groups. The 'right to return' was very attractive to escape the economic ruin and political prosecution in their homelands, 3 millions used that possiblity from 1988 onwards.

Certainly a huge demographic gain for Germany, especially since the intergration was relatively easy. At most three out of so many isn't much.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    What is there to discuss?

Germany made a third major strategic blunder in the the last 100 years - the first two being starting two major wars and then losing them - by placing their national energy reliance on the supply of gas from Russia.

To fix this massive error in judgement the Germans will do anything, sell anyone out, even make a deal with the devil (as it seems they are doing).

It would be dangerous to trust or rely on Germany in relation to Russia right now.