Page 30 of 239 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine: military (Aug '14 to mid-June '15) closed

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    And what you are clearly missing is that the West, since the start of this conflict in March, has been in the weaker position. Sanctions have not and will not reverse Russia's gains in Ukraine. Contrary to your prediction, the destruction of the Malaysian airliner has no discernable impact on the conflict's outcome. Russia physically occupies Crimean while its proxies remain sufficiently strong in Donbas. That's called leverage - something the West clearly lacks in Ukraine and has not been able to gain. The cycle of action and counter-action escalating the tensions between the US/EU and Russia outside of Ukraine have their limits too. The Ukrainians know this - they also know given their economic and political situation, they cannot wage a perpetual war against Russia no matter how much U.S. hawks want to arm them with American weaponry.

That Russia had and continues to have the upper-hand given its geographic proximity and large amount of military materiel in the region, no one at all should be surprised about the outcome of this conflict. And what have the Ukrainians gained from fighting it besides a burdensome reconstruction projection in the future or the loss of thousands of lives? Is the Ukrainian government any more stable or independent? You are calculating the gains and losses using the February status quo as your baseline - hate to break it to you but the Russian intervention has changed that calculus, and not in favor of Ukraine. That's the point of the whole operation in the first place.

Ukraine's de jure claims in a negotiation will mean less over time so long as the de facto conditions favor Russia. That you continue to push for escalation knowing that Russia holds all the cards is very short-sighted and will only cost Ukraine more lives, treasure, and land in the long run.
    Again AP--so you consider negotiation over the long run as what "containing" this new form of Russian neo imperialism?---you still are not recognizing the sheer existence of this movement inside both Russia and within Putin.

If in fact a strong immediate economic sanction series ie cut off from SWIFT, cut off from 90 day lines of credit, hitting Gazprom immediately as well, and no stock sells had been done immediately after the Crimea annexation---- we would not be where we are today with the ongoing in your face annexation of southeastern Ukraine, the blatant kidnapping of an Estonia national CI officer to prove to Estonia that Russia is still the ruler over Estonia, and now the doubling in violation of ceasefire agreements of Russian troops in Moldavia in the last two weeks.

Really look at the current three fronts Russia has us dancing on---and what was the response to the last two of the three by the US/EU/NATO---nothing in reference to Moldavia and Estonia--right? Putin watches this like a hawk to see our responses and when nothing comes what do you think he thinks---"home free keep moving" until someone seriously calls me out---right AP?

You still do not get the use of POWER as an end goal and yet you seem to imply well let's let Putin change the last 25 years so he "can feel accepted" among the superpowers.

So what is the new "mantra" of politics? ---"we will swap land" for an alleged new form of "peace" so Putin will sleep better at night now that Russia has returned as a superpower in Putin's eyes---come on AP think your comments through.

Was that not what drove Chamberlain in 1938 and what did it get Europe in exchange in the end? Again another great example of "negotiation success--right?"

Historically there are times where hard economic responses can take the place of force-that is actually the concept behind "soft power" but in this case the US/EU did nothing at first-so really a fake response and Putin foresaw that move believe me----this was one of those moments and it basically failed and no negotiations are ever going to return the Crimea nor the coming creation of "New Russia" regardless of what you write.

You still are not admitting the existence of Russian fascism and what is driving their new form of neo imperialism nor even discussing what Russian neo imperialism is--how it has directly evolved as Communism waned--and how it has structured itself inside Russia and how it is now driving Russian foreign policy.

That my friend is the key in understanding Putin's moves and at the same time his paranoia about the US and western values.

Fascism under the guise of neo imperialism coupled with nuclear weapons and the recently voiced will to use them---we have not encountered at all even during the Cold War---and that my friend is a deadly combination.

Do not think for a moment--China is not watching how this plays out in reference to our will to pivot in the Far East--it is all connected.

By the way AP--this is how the "New Russian Army" is treating ethnic Russians in their "New Russia". Kind of looks like a dictatorship if one asks me or better yet like a country "conquered" by the Soviet Army in 1945---does not seem to be the expressed will of the ethnic Russians that Putin so claims he is "defending" does it?

#BreakingNews Russian terrorists and their local allies force all residents in #Horlivka btw. 20 and 60 to join them.
    http://www.unian.net/politics/961003...mooboronu.html
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-09-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw
    Again AP--so you consider negotiation over the long run as what "containing" this new form of Russian neo imperialism?---
    Again - stop using the term "neo imperialism" because it's not accurate. And two, if you do insist on using it, drop the 'new' before 'neo'. Neo already means new. Containment would be a good idea - since it worked during the Cold War, it's a strategy that can be adopted to today if Russia continues to insist on resisting integration into the international system. And your alternative to negotiations and 'containment' is what exactly?

yet you seem to imply well let's let Putin change the last 25 years so he "can feel accepted" among the superpowers.
    I've never said anything of the sort. Once again - stop making things up.

"we will swap land" for an alleged new form of "peace"
    Russia already has the land. What more do you want to sacrifice? More Ukrainian lives?

Was that not what drove Chamberlain in 1938 and what did it get Europe in exchange in the end?
    So - let's just jump to the Nazis and ignore, say, all the other numerous examples where U.S. Presidents negotiated with adversaries, including the Soviet Union, to de-escalate conflict. You won't do yourself any favors cherry-picking history.

You still are not admitting the existence of Russian fascism
    Yawn.

nor even discussing what Russian neo imperialism is
    I've spoken about Russian imperialism in the past in this thread - you're welcome to reference it.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

Again AP---never seem to see your own comments other than critiquing others--standard I assume.

If you have referenced ?Russian fascism in the past--then write about it in extensive form now for example---as it is the core of Russian actions.

In addition to that core there is an extensive and very uncountered from the west effective info war going on and at times even Putin uses it as his main backup arguments---thus the "doublethink" or what I call the "altered state of reality".

This is what is known as "doublethink"---you might though call it simply propaganda--now let me see your comments on the article and again your short response to Russian fascism.

AP---below goes to the heart of Russian fascism.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/20...LEy0gg.twitter

Then we can continue this somewhat tiring exchange as you really do need to get out of the US and "see" another reality out there other than books.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Again AP---never seem to see your own comments other than critiquing others--standard I assume.

If you have referenced ?Russian fascism in the past--then write about it in extensive form now for example---as it is the core of Russian actions.

In addition to that core there is an extensive and very uncountered from the west effective info war going on and at times even Putin uses it as his main backup arguments---thus the "doublethink" or what I call the "altered state of reality".

This is what is known as "doublethink"---you might though call it simply propaganda--now let me see your comments on the article and again your short response to Russian fascism.

AP---below goes to the heart of Russian fascism.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/20...LEy0gg.twitter

Then we can continue this somewhat tiring exchange as you really do need to get out of the US and "see" another reality out there other than books.
    AP--this video link will introduce you to some of the current Russian ideologs on the fascist side together with Girkin who was the first Russian leader of the DPR in the Ukraine.

Amazing video of Strelkov/Girkin & @A_G_Dugin & Malofeev all meeting at Putin's favourite monastery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhUMI

Perfect example of the Russian FSB info war side of the house inside Russia currently.

Five minutes after this video link hit the blog sites it was removed.

Once you again you are making stuff up. Simply because you have the habit of ignoring what other people are writing does not mean I do not have plenty of posts laying out my views.

You can go ahead and find and read my posts. I'm not going to repeat myself ad nauseam.

Yeah - but that's not "doublethink". 'Doublethink' is genuinely believing two contradictory statements simultaneously; i.e. 'the sky is blue' and 'the sky is not blue'. Deception operations targeted against one's adversary do not fall into this category. Do you honestly believe that Putin, et. al think that there are no Russian soldiers of any kind in Ukraine?

You can paint all of the separatists as mindless fascist drones under the operational control of Russia - and you would be right, but only to an extent. And it doesn't excuse the self-proclaimed Ukrainian fascists on the other side. That the separatists themselves have different ideas of what the political outcome should look like is an indicator of some degree of autonomy. And that Russia has consistently rebuffed any calls for annexation (including the embarrassing moment of ignoring the Donestsk independence referendum shortly after accepting the Crimean one) is also an indication of Moscow's limited objectives and ad hoc strategy. With multiple parties on each side of the negotiating table, that's makes it difficult to form a consensus. Poroshenko has also indicated his desire for a negotiated political outcome that includes some measures of autonomy for the eastern regions - what that looks like in practice and whether it will be sufficient remains to be seen. So - yes - for Ukraine, the way out is to negotiate an end to the conflict. That they are in worse position now than in February, and that their position will continue to degrade, is also a reason to negotiate. How many Ukrainians deaths are acceptable for your anti-Russian crusade? What's the post-conflict political environment look like? You have avoided these kinds of questions.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

Council Member

For those that believe that negotiations always tend to work this example from today referencing the agreed to prisoner exchange which Ukraine has held exactly to as negotiated.

Meaning providing the mercenaries with official government prisoner lists--check, providing list of mercenaries held--check, have released mercenaries--check---but of the 1200 listed and the unknown number of civilians being held only 600 or so are back.

Then this today pops up.

#BreakingNews DNR terrorists canceled exchange of prisoners, which was planned for today.
    500+ stay in their hands.

For those that believe that negotiations always tend to work this example from today referencing the agreed to prisoner exchange which Ukraine has held exactly to as negotiated.
    No here has claimed that 'negotiations always tend to work'. Care to cite anyone? Or are you making things up again?

Meaning providing the mercenaries with official government prisoner lists--check, providing list of mercenaries held--check, have released mercenaries--check---but of the 1200 listed and the unknown number of civilians being held only 600 or so are back.
    So what you're saying is that there has been progress made, but it hasn't been perfect and immediate, and there is some work still to be done. Is that sufficient cause for the Ukrainian government to resume offensive operations? Is it an indicator that the separatists will continue hostilities? Or is it an indication that under the conditions, implementation is difficult and sometimes unpredictable? If you have spent as much time 'out there' or 'over there' as you claim is needed to be an expert, you'd understand this.

Council Member

AP---instead of defending your own words that at the end negotiations are what happens you are now saying what negotiations do no good?

You did not respond to the previous questions on Russian fascism which I assume take to much time than defending negotiations does.

Another article that you need to read but will not--goes to the paranoia of Putin.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...cle?CMP=twt_gu

By the way AP here is a comment from a Russian that I did not pay to write what he did ---but again it references the concept of "altered state or reality". That you seem to push back on---notice my previous comments---it is extremely dangerous when a fascist state has nuclear weapons and really believes it's own propaganda.

In today's Novaya Gazeta, former Putin spin doctor Gleb Pavlovsky claims Kremlin "psychologically infected by its own propaganda"

With such a state it is virtually impossible to negotiate with as they only understand Power nothing else--that though is where we differ again is it not?

AP--you do realize the term "money is a weapons system"--right?

And you would I assume also accept the statement that countries can be in fact at "war" economically?

AP---another perfect example delivered today by Russia to the above sentence.

BREAKING- #Ukraine's gas transit body Ukrtransgaz says #Russia has started limiting gas supplies to Poland to disrupt reverse flows.

AP ---even Putin's current actions goes against his own announced Foreign Policy Concept of 2013---and you still think Russia is acting what "rationally"?

Russian Foreign Policy Concept that President Putin approved on Feb. 18, 2013.

That document sets out Russia's principal foreign policy objectives, including the following: "promoting good-neighborly relations with adjoining states and helping to overcome existing and prevent potential tensions and conflicts in regions adjacent to the Russian Federation."

The document also declares Russia's commitment to developing bilateral and multilateral relations with other states based, among other things, on respect for their sovereignty and territorial integrity as well as the predictability and non-confrontational nature of Russian policies

AND after you Google and find the entire Putin approved Foreign Policy Concept of 2013---even signed by him---just where does it mention "spheres of influence" and or "buffer states"?

There is absolutely no mention of those two words---even when it is translated into English.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Council Member

AP--there is an interesting pro Russian viewpoint in the recent Foreign Affairs referencing the fact that it was US and western liberals that provoked Putin's Crimea and eastern Ukraine adventures.

The argumentation s actually similar to yours, but then fell apart with this particular sentence which has been proved to be completely false.

So much for "trying to understood Russian complaints".

Besides, even if it wanted to, Russia lacks the capability to easily conquer and annex eastern Ukraine, much less the entire country. Roughly 15 million people -- one-third of Ukraine’s population -- live between the Dnieper River, which bisects the country, and the Russian border. An overwhelming majority of those people want to remain part of Ukraine and would surely resist a Russian occupation. Furthermore, Russia’s mediocre army, which shows few signs of turning into a modern Wehrmacht, would have little chance of pacifying all of Ukraine. Moscow is also poorly positioned to pay for a costly occupation; its weak economy would suffer even more in the face of the resulting sanctions.

See AP the article initially seems to blast the West as being at fault and while it seems to be well written then it's logic falls apart with this single paragraph as the individual evidently in his haste to condemn the West overlooked Russian reality since MH17.

It seems he to cannot see Russian ethno nationalist neo imperialism as well.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articl...he-wests-fault

AP---instead of defending your own words that at the end negotiations are what happens you are now saying what negotiations do no good?
    Did I say that? Or are you again inventing meanings where none exist? I have never said that 'negotiations always tend to work' and I have never said that 'negotiations do no good'. You said those things.

Let me walk you through it - there's a range of outcomes in negotiations. On one end is failure for all parties, on the other end is perfect and just implementation for all parties. In between, there are dozens if not hundreds of possibilities. Do 'negotiations always tend to work'? No - not with 'always' as the qualifier. Many times, negotiations fail. Just like war.

You did not respond to the previous questions on Russian fascism which I assume take to much time than defending negotiations does.
    Like the time you take to actually read other people's posts and understand what they are writing?

With such a state it is virtually impossible to negotiate with as they only understand Power nothing else--that though is where we differ again is it not?
    Is it? Or are you again making stuff up and ignoring what I'm writing? By the way - that's rhetorical question. You are ignoring what I'm writing.

There is absolutely no mention of those two words---even when it is translated into English.
    So because a specific term doesn't exist in a specific document produced by a specific government, then that concept does not actually exist anywhere in practice? That's an interesting theory.

AP--there is an interesting pro Russian viewpoint in the recent Foreign Affairs referencing the fact that it was US and western liberals that provoked Putin's Crimea and eastern Ukraine adventures.
    Yes - written by Mearsheimer. He's in the realist camp; in other words, international relations is about power and interests and that interstate relations are inherently adversarial.

but then fell apart with this particular sentence which has been proved to be completely false
    What is "completely false" about Mearsheimer's block quote you provided? You have stated repeatedly that Russia is a second or third rate power with nothing to offer - are you going to dispute Mearsheimer's assessment that " Russia’s mediocre army, which shows few signs of turning into a modern Wehrmacht, would have little chance of pacifying all of Ukraine" and that "Moscowis also poorly positioned to pay for a costly occupation; its weak economy would suffer even more in the face of the resulting sanctions"?

It seems he to cannot see Russian ethno nationalist neo imperialism as well.
    Once again - you are making stuff up. I direct you to my numerous posts describing my views on the Russian government and the construction of the Russian state.

Council Member

AP--you claim you have written "alot" on the Russian fascism here--then expound in more detail pray tell.

You push back on anything and everything and yet you never seem to go into extensive detail so I can tear it apart line for line. That is an elegant way to tap dance around something solid---you went out on a limb with the thinking about negotiations and it got cut off by Putin's ceasefire which by the way---limited fighting directly with Russian troops was just occurring.

#BreakingReport Limited fights broke out around the besieged Ukrainian army position in #Debaltseve. - NSDC

#BreakingNews Ukrainian voluntary troops capture 2 Russian armed forces soldiers with a #MANPADS in #Luhansk oblast

You never did accept the idea of irrationality nor "altered state of reality", but I seems more than myself are seeing it and writing virtually the same thing.

Nice that others see it---no further need on you end to "see" it though.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...arfare/379880/

Council Member

AP--two more articles that you need to read in order to correctly answer some of my questions that you have to now tap danced around.

One on the Russian love fest with the European Extreme Right but you knew that already when you failed to respond in detail to my questions on Russian "fascism".

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/a...%99s-far-right

And two--an excellent understanding of Russia use of their new military doctrine "New Generation Warfare" ----but of course you have read that as well since I quote it often here as a critical one to fully understand when talking about Russian/Putin actions. Goes to the heart of Russian political warfare does it not?

http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/a...rilla-strategy

Council Member

AP--you claim you have written "alot" on the Russian fascism here--then expound in more detail pray tell.

You push back on anything and everything and yet you never seem to go into extensive detail so I can tear it apart line for line. That is an elegant way to tap dance around something solid---you went out on a limb with the thinking about negotiations and it got cut off by Putin's ceasefire which by the way---limited fighting directly with Russian troops was just occurring.

#BreakingReport Limited fights broke out around the besieged Ukrainian army position in #Debaltseve. - NSDC

#BreakingNews Ukrainian voluntary troops capture 2 Russian armed forces soldiers with a #MANPADS in #Luhansk oblast

You never did accept the idea of irrationality nor "altered state of reality", but I seems more than myself are seeing it and writing virtually the same thing.

Nice that others see it---no further need on you end to "see" it though.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...arfare/379880/
    AP--more on the Russian far right---which are quite accepted inside Russia by the FSB and the Church.

http://anton-shekhovtsov.blogspot.co...s-mole-in.html

Council Member

Seems that the Russian FM cannot get their messaging in order--it is interesting in that the UN legal section stated that it is in fact possible to remove Russia from the UNSC last week if it does not maintain the guidelines of a UNSC member state.

From Interfax today--first time this type of annulment has occurred by Interfax in years:

09/10 20:49 Please annul the news item headlined "No possibility in UN Charter to exclude Russia from Security Council - Churkin" issued at 20:42:34 Moscow time

09/10 20:43 No possibility in UN Charter to exclude Russia from Security Council - Churkin

But then Churkin is just a messenger who often steps off the deep end with no safety net for his comments.

20:27Russia's UN Envoy Churkin: Dutch Report on MH17 Crash Investigation Inadequate
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Council Member

Seems even the Russian Border Security Command points to Moscow which appears to have lied about where the Estonia intelligence officer was arrested.

Both #Estonian and #Russian border guards signed an act after #EstoniaKidnap confirming it took place IN #Estonia.

pic.twitter.com/YfQYBpsaX9
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 06:51 PM.

There's a search function on this site for a reason. I recommend using it.

You push back on anything and everything and yet you never seem to go into extensive detail so I can tear it apart line for line
    Actually - you just ignore the things I write and then claim I haven't written anything. I have asked you many questions that remain unanswered; here are some examples: (1) what's the best end-state for U.S. security, (2) how will the conflict's escalation impact the U.S.-Russian dyadic, (3) if a BUK is classified as a weapon of mass destruction, why not all air defense missiles; (4) how is Russian behavior uniquely objectionable compared to other states who act similarly (including the U.S.), especially on the subjects of commitment to treaty obligations and nuclear strategy? You also make patently false claims - like the Ukraine conflict being the first in Europe since 1945 to change national borders.

you went out on a limb with the thinking about negotiations and it got cut off by Putin's ceasefire which by the way---limited fighting directly with Russian troops was just occurring.
    Is that why Poroshenko is pursuing negotiations and believes that the bulk of Russian forces have withdrawn from Ukraine? Or is he a Russian stooge too? Is he not close enough to the conflict or sufficiently experienced for you to consider his assessment credible?

And yeah - the Russians do have a powerful information operations machine and they're exercising it to full effect. But that the Russians have such a tool does not mean that the Russian leadership is "irrational" - in fact, it indicates the opposite. The deliberate construction of political 'reality' that not coincidentally is favorable to one's own interests is not a uniquely Russian endeavor either.

Council Member

See AP when the propaganda tends to be believed then those that are really two bit players in the power game tend to sometimes turn on their masters or cannot be trusted to continue "following orders".

In moment of honesty, chairman says Donetsk was only 'witness' of 3-sided Minsk peace plan agreement between Russia, Ukraine & OSCE 1/2

DNR declares Minsk peace plan "unimplementable". Kremlin no doubt livid at this show of finely-orchestrated dissent..

http://tvrain.ru/articles/dnr_zajavi...tokola-375210/

So much again for "negotiations".

Council Member

AP--some in the US tend AP to understand Putin better than say others in the US.

By the way AP from the same University that you derided the author who did the comparison of Putin to 1984

http://www.theeuropean-magazine.com/...ainst-the-west

AP---read thoroughly his views---they are far more accurate what anything you have written here.

Putin came to power as a pragmatic nationalist, skeptical of Western values and aims, but essentially convinced that Russia’s future lay in greater cooperation and economic modernization. Since his return to the presidency in 2012, he has demonstrated an ideological and political shift towards a more aggressive Russian nationalism and a belief that a distinctive and irreplaceable culture faces an existential challenge from Western values and political ambitions.

So he is aggressively seeking not only to consolidate Russian influence in Eurasia but also to insulate it from what he regards as the negative influences outside its borders. Not a Russian “hermit kingdom” like North Korea, but connection to global economic and technological currents on his terms, without sacrificing domestic control and geopolitical autonomy. He may be – is – mistaken that this could be done, but this is at least a goal that is rational in its own terms.

Come on AP---"see and understand"---Russian fascism is the key--will take you back into the conversation of what constitutes a "rouge" country if you remember back that far.

Notice below the term "hot peace"--that is what you are seeing with his new military doctrine--New Generation Warfare.

However, Putin will not sacrifice his personal position or Russia in the name of ideology, empire, or personal crusade. So long as he still feels that the West is divided and irresolute – and no number of diplomatic statements will do anything to change this – he will continue to push and to needle.

He seeks not to invade the West, but to neuter it. At present, he knows that NATO is not eager for a fight and feels that the sanctions regime is both bearable and likely to ease once the fighting in Ukraine is over. Provocations like Kohver’s kidnap are intended to undermine Western morale and rhetoric (after all, it came just after U.S. President Obama delivered a stirring promise to defend Estonia).

This is what Putin’s “hot peace” will mean for the West: subtle and not-so-subtle efforts to weaken, divide, and distract. Strategic leaks of embarrassing information, cyber-attacks, military probes short of casus belli, business pressure and penetration, support for fringe political movements. Everything the West can imagine – short of war.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 09-10-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Council Member

AP--some in the US tend AP to understand Putin better than say others in the US.

By the way AP from the same University that you derided the author who did the comparison of Putin to 1984

http://www.theeuropean-magazine.com/...ainst-the-west

AP---read thoroughly his views---they are far more accurate what anything you have written here.

Putin came to power as a pragmatic nationalist, skeptical of Western values and aims, but essentially convinced that Russia’s future lay in greater cooperation and economic modernization. Since his return to the presidency in 2012, he has demonstrated an ideological and political shift towards a more aggressive Russian nationalism and a belief that a distinctive and irreplaceable culture faces an existential challenge from Western values and political ambitions.

So he is aggressively seeking not only to consolidate Russian influence in Eurasia but also to insulate it from what he regards as the negative influences outside its borders. Not a Russian “hermit kingdom” like North Korea, but connection to global economic and technological currents on his terms, without sacrificing domestic control and geopolitical autonomy. He may be – is – mistaken that this could be done, but this is at least a goal that is rational in its own terms.

Come on AP---"see and understand"---Russian fascism is the key--will take you back into the conversation of what constitutes a "rouge" country if you remember back that far.

Notice below the term "hot peace"--that is what you are seeing with his new military doctrine--New Generation Warfare.

However, Putin will not sacrifice his personal position or Russia in the name of ideology, empire, or personal crusade. So long as he still feels that the West is divided and irresolute – and no number of diplomatic statements will do anything to change this – he will continue to push and to needle.

He seeks not to invade the West, but to neuter it. At present, he knows that NATO is not eager for a fight and feels that the sanctions regime is both bearable and likely to ease once the fighting in Ukraine is over. Provocations like Kohver’s kidnap are intended to undermine Western morale and rhetoric (after all, it came just after U.S. President Obama delivered a stirring promise to defend Estonia).

This is what Putin’s “hot peace” will mean for the West: subtle and not-so-subtle efforts to weaken, divide, and distract. Strategic leaks of embarrassing information, cyber-attacks, military probes short of casus belli, business pressure and penetration, support for fringe political movements. Everything the West can imagine – short of war.
    Now AP you can see how this statement from Putin fit the article.

#Putin again repeats his claim that the #Ukraine crisis was, "engineered and developed by some of our Western partners."

Irrational or rational thoughts by a leader who espouses the first strike use of nuclear weapons?

Council Member

AP---these proposed sanctions will in fact get and have gotten Putin's attention ---thus the "playing" with the gas deliveries to Poland and Slovakia this week.

Putin Oil Deals With Exxon, Shell Imperiled by Sanctions - Bloomberg via @BloombergNews

http://bloom.bg/1wg8DoV

Now these are problematic for Russia.