Quote Originally Posted by Stan Reber View Post
Greetings WM !

Having served in 9 embassies in various capacities I can tell you that the CT is a good example why DoD and DoS will never be joined at the hip. There were indeed folks with PhDs and some who even thought they were PhD material.

That meant precious little during civil wars and upheavals. It would be that very same PhD (know to some as JJJ) who sent my boss on a hopeless mission only to later disregard factual reporting. JJJ would later show to have his passport stamped crossing the Rwandan border, and ask "Tom, what's that smell?" "That would be death Jon" Tom replied. JJJ never returned on our watch

DoD and DHS had difficulties, but far less than with State. Most surrounded personnel. The majority of the NCOs are "on loan" and now outside of their environment and PMOS. So if DHS was trying to retain and at times reward her personnel, I didn't see it.

Regards, Stan
Having only served in and around two country teams my experience is limited but I can tell that here in the Philippines the Country Team does work. There is an extremely effective CT organization which is probably a function of the right combination of personalities focused on the right mission priorities but it is certainly an example that can cited as working. The DoD-DoS relationship as well as the DoD-and other agencies relationships are very, very good.