Who was the second ?
Hey mate,

I was thinking of Peter Whaley as the POL section rebel--and yes Peter did have a large bag of personal quirks to match his many bow ties, I fact I confirmed in living with him in Kigali for a year. One of the funniest things I ever saw or participated in was trying to teach Peter to shoot a pellet rifle. he had been back in the States on leave when a flock of several thousands of fruit bats infested our trees. These bats do not sleep all day; they scream and fight and crap constantly. One side of our house was turning white. I called Peter and asked him to buy a pump up pellet rifle, .22 Cal. He went to a sporting goods store and they sold him a .20 sheridan with .22 pellets. Peter came back on a Friday and Saturday we declared war on the bats. You could get a .22 pellet into the .20 rifle if you slammed the bolt home. After about 5 shots that got painful. Anyway Peter had never fired a gun of any knd in his life; he was lousy at first but he improved with beer and experience. That afternoon Ambassador Rawson came by to give us the initial reports on Kibeho; David was surprised to see Peter still wearing pajamas and a silk robe in the back yard with a beer in one hand and a rifle in the other. By the end of the day we had about 500 bats down. The flock departed never to return. That afternoon into evening Kibeho turned very bloody.

The other K-town embassy guy who was ok was the senior econ officer--at least he actually came and discussed things.

Estonia is way too cold for me...