Thread: Fundamentals of the Battle Captain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Seems Commonwealth divvies up US XO functions between 2i/c and Battle Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    FYI, the role you describe is usually handled by the Company XO (2IC) in most units. The CO "commands" the company, and talks to the Bn CO when necessary regarding major issues, but focuses on fighting his company. The unit XO usually keeps BN informed with routine reports and traffic.
    Yes, and I was confused when I first encountered jcustis' posts on the Battle Captain - I was unaware the US had them in the Commonwealth sense, and I wondered if things had recently changed as a result of battle experience in Iraq and A-Stan. I now see that the US Army Battle Captain or USMC Watch Officer is the same as the Watch/Duty Officer at Bn/Rgt/Bge HQ in Commonwealth Armies.

I had known of, as you point out, the roles of both the Company CO and XO in the US system, and I was quite lost when I saw this thread about the "Battle Captain", and I assumed that some new innovation had been made in the USMC somewhat along Commonwealth lines, presumably as a result of recent battle experience. I had no idea that the US Army had "Battle Captains" (but I now know what the usage of that term in the US Army is).

In the Commonwealth system, there are 3 officers at Company/Squadron level:

The OC (Officer Commanding - 1i/c if you will - a Major) commands the infantry company or tank squadron in battle ("F" Echelon) and listens in, but only responds when very necessary to, the Bn/Reg radio net, while actively using the Coy/Sqn radio net himself to control the fight.

The 2i/c (a Captain, but sometimes a Major himself as well) takes care of the Coy/Sqn HQ and Admin (Coy/Sqn Logistics in general: the Company/Squadron Sergeant Major commands "A1" Echelon, not the 2i/c - my error - front-line resupply, casevac, and HQ defence, while Company/Squadron Quarter-Master Sergeant commands "B" Echelon - CQ/SQ - stores, etc.). I think the 2i/c listens in to both the Coy/Sqn radio net and the Bn/Rgt net. The 2i/c (or CSM/SSM) may lead an armed resupply body to, and casevac back from, the front line ("F" Echelon).

The Battle Captain (3i/c, if you will - an experienced Captain) accompanies the OC to the front line ("F" Echelon) and joins him in the battle. Think of the Battle Captain as a sort of Company S-3, maybe that's the easiest, but not the exact, way to describe his function. The Battle Captain is on the horn to both Battalion/Regiment HQ (sitreps) and decides which messages are for the OC's ear, and to Coy/Sqn HQ and sends orders for ammo/fuel resupply and casevac to the 2i/c. The Battle Captain deals with the Bn/Rgt S-3 and other requests for info, leaving the OC to concentrate on the fight. If the OC is killed, the Battle Captain assumes command of the Coy/Sqn until the 2i/c arrives from Coy/Sqn HQ. The Company/Squadron Sergeant-Major CSM/SSM takes command of Coy/Sqn HQ in that event.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 10-08-2007 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk View Post

The 2i/c (a Captain, but sometimes a Major himself as well) takes care of the Coy/Sqn HQ and Admin (Coy/Sqn Logistics in general: the Company/Squadron Sergeant Major commands "A1" Echelon, not the 2i/c - my error - front-line resupply, casevac, and HQ defence, while Company/Squadron Quarter-Master Sergeant commands "B" Echelon - CQ/SQ - stores, etc.). I think the 2i/c listens in to both the Coy/Sqn radio net and the Bn/Rgt net. The 2i/c (or CSM/SSM) may lead an armed resupply body to, and casevac back from, the front line ("F" Echelon).
    Very interesting. The role by the 2i/c above is performed by the company First Sergeant in Combat, and a combination of the XO and 1SG in garrison. I know certain light infantry units reverse that, with the XO running logistics and the 1SG up front. The XO in Tank/Cav/Mech units has a fighting vehicle, wheras the 1SG gets a HMMWV and an APC, and hangs with the supply sergeant.

I knew many foreign armies used Majors as company commanders. (the Iraqis do) I didn't know that they had two assistants in addition to the platoon leaders, I guess it makes sense.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Default Just to confuse the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    Very interesting. The role by the 2i/c above is performed by the company First Sergeant in Combat, and a combination of the XO and 1SG in garrison. I know certain light infantry units reverse that, with the XO running logistics and the 1SG up front. The XO in Tank/Cav/Mech units has a fighting vehicle, wheras the 1SG gets a HMMWV and an APC, and hangs with the supply sergeant.

I knew many foreign armies used Majors as company commanders. (the Iraqis do) I didn't know that they had two assistants in addition to the platoon leaders, I guess it makes sense.
    Until the LAV-25 and Styker arrived in rifle coys (until then both Light and Mech with either LAV-1 or M-113), the arrangment was more backwards. The OC, warning order in hand, formed the lads up on the line of departure, handed control of the company over to the 2i/c, then returned to the rear Coy HQ to work on the plan for the next mission. The CSM was at Coy HQ and took care of most things there. The CSM at Coy HQ was fine by me, but I could never get over the OC handing off to the 2i/c moments before starting the advance-to-contact, and heading to the rear to go to work on his next plan. WE didn't have a Battle Captain in the rifle coys until the arrival of the newer LAVs.

I think things are much better with the new arrangement.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 10-08-2007 at 03:53 PM.

This articles are truly fundamental. If you think about it is simple truth! Best of all I liked article 8 "rank is nothing, talent is everything" I wish people nowadays would realize it and I personally feel the same way. I know many people with no rank, but who are talented and will go far. On the other hand, there are many, who are highly ranked, but are absolutely boring in daily life, that's sad.

I had nearly forgotten about this. Jcustis did a great job on this work and as I head to a squadron I'm going to dust this off and hand it to my battle captain and NCO this summer.
    Example is better than precept.

Wow, it's been a while RTK. I had not noticed you returned a few weeks ago.

I have to admit, shamefully, that I'd I forgotten about this one. I would have dusted it off and shared it with the watch officers as they geared up for my last deploy, but...

I did have a few chats with them during dinner at the chow hall during some specialized staff training, but never went into this depth. They fared well enough though, and performed very well across the deployment.

I just ran across an article in the Marine Corps Gazette that I think is a good adjunct to these Battle Captain principles. It has been posted online here, and focuses on small unit combat reporting.

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/a...mander-and-coc