Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

A brief read of this report sums up the frustration and confusion MONUC's leadership faces. I almost agree with Doss' statement. He has 20,000 men, huge expectations and a fuzzy mandate.

New York, 18 December 2009 - Mr. Doss also said that MONUC’s complex mandate had “sometimes raised expectations beyond the mission’s resources or capabilities.”
    Then we get to the meat of the matter

This was the price of peace.
    Mr President,

The Council has stipulated that MONUC support for the FARDC is contingent upon the respect for human rights, international humanitarian law and refugee law.

Unfortunately, with the recent round of integration and demobilization of Congolese armed groups the problem of discipline in the FARDC has worsened.

It is essential therefore that security sector reform address this recurring problem through a structured process of vetting and training and by ensuring that the security forces are paid regularly and on time.
    Certainly not rocket science. Pity, we knew this in 91.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default Christmas wishes to the UN

Congolese Style

Shortly following MONUC’s mandate extension through 31 May 2010 and indications that the mandate would be further extended 12 months beyond that date, the ever appreciative opposition sent some members death threats

In a new release, the mission, known as MONUC, said that three members of the UN Joint Human Rights Office and seven members of a local human rights organizations received anonymous death threats on their mobile phones on 24 December.
    And a little awareness advice to the parents...

... Jean Sayinzoga, the chairman of the Rwanda Demobilization and Reintegration Commission, warned parents to prevent their children from participating in the ongoing war in Eastern DRC between dissidents of the FDLR and between the Congolese army (FARDC) and its allies.
    He was obviously addressing the all volunteer force?

Council Member

Ash Center, 1 Feb 10: Innovations for Post-Conflict Transitions: The United Nations Development Program in the Democratic Republic of Congo
    ....This report examines the organizational dimensions of the UNDP office in the DRC, and analyzes its most important program innovations. Section I describes the difficult country and regional contexts in which the office operated. Section II explores the unique institutional vision and leadership by which the UNDP emerged as a key agent in the DRC. Section III analyzes innovation and scope of procurement and delivery. Section IV discusses Security Sector Reform—disarmament, demobilization and reintegration—as keys to post-conflict development in the DRC. Section V offers conclusions based on the findings of the report.....

I welcome correction or criticism, especially from Tom (the regional SME), but it seems to me that guns-for-bikes is better thought out than gun-for-cash.

Cash seems likely to get re-invested in better guns or spent on drugs, ladies of negotiable affection, etc. Bikes can be the basis for several service industries (all manner of delivery services and travelling tradesmen), support to commuting further than walking is practical for, and creates the need for a supporting industry (bike repair). Sort of like the priciple behind 'micro-loans'.

This having been said, all of the reservations about re-use of the swapped guns, broken/worn-out guns being swapped, accuracy of reporting by the reverend, etc are, sadly, beyond dispute.
    Last edited by Van; 03-22-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Failed to close a paren.

Default Better to find and turn off the flow of weapons and ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I welcome correction or criticism, especially from Tom (the regional SME), but it seems to me that guns-for-bikes is better thought out than gun-for-cash.
    I’ll wing this one without too much criticism based on a decade of living there (Tom can chime in when he is well rested).

First off, an armed Congolese has little use for trading a firearm for a bike or cash. Both are obtainable at gunpoint (got to think like they do if you hope to make any sense of this). Cash is however a better incentive than say a bicycle.

Cash seems likely to get re-invested in better guns or spent on drugs, ladies of negotiable affection, etc. Bikes can be the basis for several service industries (all manner of delivery services and travelling tradesmen), support to commuting further than walking is practical for, and creates the need for a supporting industry (bike repair). Sort of like the priciple behind 'micro-loans'.
    Cash in the Congo is rarely spent on better weapons, and alcohol and ladies are too easily obtainable. Purchasing “better” weapons is not a task for the common individual. Of all the people I met and worked with, I never met one interested in commuting, delivering services or for that matter, working.

This having been said, all of the reservations about re-use of the swapped guns, broken/worn-out guns being swapped, accuracy of reporting by the reverend, etc are, sadly, beyond dispute.
    Tom has a valid point – the traded weapon(s) will not be destroyed and the bartering cycle will merely start all over again.

The reverend much like several organizations tend to over-rate their so-called foothold or status with government officials in the DRC. Such relationships rarely work without cash and are at best short-lived adventures.

Unfortunatelly I would like to support both Tom and Stan, but I would like that such projects goes fine with results.
    Reallity shows that the arrest of Gedeon, the may-may leader in what was called the triangle of death (le triangle de la mort) in Katanga had more impact than this project.
    Also, I would like to add that the reverent or the church which did that, did it with Kabila support.
    The same exercise of DDR through the church was done in 2008/2009 in Kinshasa. It appears that the church and the program was lead by Kabila spirtuam mentor and that most of the weapons recovered were from FARDC.
    Not talking of the fact that they were paying 200$ per waepon turned back and that a weapon on the border market with Angola was 50$.
    Some very mean people even said that it was a decoy to import illegaly weapons by Kabila government...

The main problem is not the weapon I believe but what we can offert on the long run for reintegration to young men (and women) that are not willing to go back to a ####ty life spent in surviving through farming.
    Main problem being they are illeterate and alccolic most of the time (and drug addict also).

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    ...Of all the people I met and worked with, I never met one interested in commuting, delivering services or for that matter, working.
    One faulty assumption and a beautiful theory is ruined. What's Wilf's sign-off line again?

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    The main problem is not the weapon I believe but what we can offert on the long run for reintegration to young men (and women) that are not willing to go back to a ####ty life spent in surviving through farming.
    Main problem being they are illeterate and alccolic most of the time (and drug addict also).
    Being that Congo is Congo, there probably is no positive incentive or inducement to convince the people M-A speaks of to give up their life of crime. That leaves the other inducement, give it up or you will be killed. The ####ty life of a farmer looks better in that light. The problem of course is making the threat a realistic one. The UN mostly won't do anything and the FARDC either can't or is worse than anybody else.

I actually did know Congolese who were very good workers. The guys who worked for us were mostly go getters. A few were very good at stealing but we were able to keep that sort of thing in check, sort of. Some of them were pretty brave too. After the big fight in 2007, some of Bemba's men came to the airport and demanded of the guards that they unlock the hanger doors. The guards gave them a sob story but didn't unlock the doors. Bemba's boys unloaded a magazine or two into the hanger out of frustration but didn't hit anybody or damage an aircraft. I really respected those guards for doing that.

We were able to be pretty selective in hiring though. Everybody wanted to work for the airplane company.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Default Fighting in Mbandaka, airport lost and re-taken

The organisation said more than 200,000 people had fled the violence since a tribal dispute over fishing rights flared in October and a local witchdoctor led an attack on Dongo, 100 km (62 miles) north of Mbandaka, killing hundreds.

Equateur's Vice Governor Vincent Mokako said Mbandaka had been taken by surprise on Easter Sunday when 100-150 fighters attacked as people were attending mass, and that the civilian population was still hiding in its houses on Monday.

Analysts said a long-standing row between the Enyele, a sub-tribe of the Lobala, and the Boba, may have been hijacked by groups trying to foment trouble in the region, which was once favoured by government but is now an opposition stronghold.
    This is the link to the Reuters story the above quote came from.

http://af.reuters.com/article/drcNew...nnel=0&sp=true

This is the first I've heard of this. Tom, Stan, M-A, Michael, are you guys familiar with the groups involved?

(Moderator: I didn't know where to put this so I put it here. No problem)
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-10-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add quote marks and add Moderator tks

Mbandaka problem is not new and is like the Bororo problematic. An economical crises with competition over natural ressources goes crazy and ends up into a violent limited scale conflict.

What is important with this incident is that it takes place in the coming of the presidential elections. Kabila has lost a lot of his credibility and Bemba is in jail for war crimes... But some would like Bemba to come back.

I am interrested to know who are the analyst who see a shadow hand behind this. The only one I really see having the capacity to have such communication campaign is MONUC. MONUC is being kick out from DRC and need to prove they still are needed there.

More practically, you cannot see a protracted insurgency being every militia/armed groups in DRC. But it is clear that the autoritarian Kabila regime approach does not hel neither.
    I would recommand to have a look at the last ICG report on DRC.
    Last edited by M-A Lagrange; 04-10-2010 at 07:26 AM.

Default some details

According to the minister of Communication and Media, the assailants were residual troops from the «Armée Nzobo ya Lombo» (village bandits), who claim to be part of the Mouvement de Libération indépendante des Alliés with Ibrahim Mangbama, as président, and his son Undjani, as head of military. The group was defeated by the 321 FARDC in Kungu. Among them it is said there are former DSP from Mobutu and DPP from Bemba.

I do not know if there is a shadow hand behind that but the mess left by LRA in the area can give idea to anyone. And you can fund a armed group with not even 50 000$ in DRC…

Hey Carl,
    I'm thinking much like MA herein

Most of the French articles use words like "temporarily occupied" and "disruptive" as if it was a power outage in Kinshasa (of which there were many).

Bemba was and perhaps still is a big deal in Equateur. He certainly was when I lived next-door to him (loved his .50 cal machine gun nest at the front gate ).

Not too sure about the witchdoctor twist. The Zairois were always a bit superstitious, but they mostly stoned and killed them (similar to killing someone in a car accident and taking revenge on the living driver/passengers).

Default Pictures,

Hey, I'm the nephew of Phillip Gonda, one of the people who ran Air Excellence, and was asked recently if I had any photos of the airport and the company, I have not been able to dig up much, searching around I wonder if anyone on here has any images of the airport at any time, please post them! thank you!

Default More than 150 women raped in Congolese village

Just watched this on CNN and my better half almost puked at the very thought (as well as my cold reaction to such a horrific set of events).

(CNN) -- Two armed groups raped more than 150 women in a village in the volatile North Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo in a four-day spree, a United Nations official said Monday.
    She no longer wonders why I turned down a lucrative tour with a humanitarian EOD element in the DRC

Truly, a sad state.

Hey Stan. How are you doing?

Last August, Jorban posted about the FARDC 1st Batt. Rapid Reaction Force the he was helping to train. Have you heard anything more about that? Has anyone else heard more about that? According to last years posts, the unit should be in Kisangani now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonda View Post
    Hey, I'm the nephew of Phillip Gonda, one of the people who ran Air Excellence, and was asked recently if I had any photos of the airport and the company, I have not been able to dig up much, searching around I wonder if anyone on here has any images of the airport at any time, please post them! thank you!
    Gonda

Welcome and my best to Phillip. I assume you are talking Ndolo and not Ndjili? Stan would be a good bet on pics as would Carl.

Tom

Hey Carl,
    OH... not too bad all things considered !

According to this link, things are just hunky dory in Kisangani

... help preserve the territorial integrity of the DRC, and develop an army that is accountable to the Congolese people.
    And it didn't take long for this next question either...

Several members of the press and civil society asked whether U.S. Africa Command was building a base in the DRC.
    Regards, Stan
    Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Hey Stan. How are you doing?

Last August, Jorban posted about the FARDC 1st Batt. Rapid Reaction Force the he was helping to train. Have you heard anything more about that? Has anyone else heard more about that? According to last years posts, the unit should be in Kisangani now.

Hey Gonda,
    As a matter of fact, I hung out with your uncle and Julie most weekends making pizza and generally getting smashed - not much to do following a civil war and total evacuation

I'll have a look around, but I doubt I have much from that time when Air Excellence was up and running.

There are some Swedes from TAZ that also hung out with us, but I have no clue where they might be these days.

Where is your uncle these days ?

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Gonda View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Gonda

Welcome and my best to Phillip. I assume you are talking Ndolo and not Ndjili? Stan would be a good bet on pics as would Carl.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey Carl,
    OH... not too bad all things considered !

According to this link, things are just hunky dory in Kisangani

And it didn't take long for this next question either...

Regards, Stan

Now, FARDC have to become warriors... Which may take more time than training them to be soldiers.

Default When Hope is the Only Hope

The United States of America and the Democratic Republic of Congo are committed to a partnership to train and professionalize a FARDC battalion that will respect and protect the Congolese people...

"We are training an initial battalion," Garvelink added, "and hopefully that's a platform from which additional training of Congolese troops can be done by very well trained Congolese troops. So we hope that the training will continue and expand under the direction and leadership of the Congolese military itself."
    One battalion, just one, would be a miracle...we have now tried to do that off and on for half a century.

Bonne chance

Bon courage

Tom