Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Moderator's Note

On the 8th December 2011 this thread's title was changed from 'Congo-Rwandan War: the Ever Ready Rabbit', to Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa, which recognises that matters Congo (DRC) are the focus. Several smaller threads were merged into it too.

BBC, 14 Jul 06: DR Congo Backs "Guns for Bikes"
    A scheme under which gunmen in the Democratic Republic of Congo are given bicycles in exchange for their weapons is being extended due to its success.

Ngoy Mulunda, a pastor in the south-eastern Katanga region, says he has been given some 6,500 weapons in the past year, which he has destroyed...
    ICG Reports on DR Congo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-08-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Mod's note

One of the things they do here in the DRC, is turn in the old, rusty, no longer working weapon for whatever is being offered, be it a bicycle or a bounty. The usable weapons normally get turned in only under duress, as was the case recently with Gedeon' Mai Mai.

The pastor perhaps, is overselling his results.

There is also a tradition that turned in weapons get return to the market; that was the case for the weapons taken from the former Rwandan army. I would agree with Carl that the good reverend is marketing,

Best
    Tom

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by carl
    One of the things they do here in the DRC, is turn in the old, rusty, no longer working weapon for whatever is being offered, be it a bicycle or a bounty. The usable weapons normally get turned in only under duress, as was the case recently with Gedeon' Mai Mai.

The pastor perhaps, is overselling his results.
    While I hope, and yes I know that hope is never a good COA, that this weapons turn-in is not like similar ones in the US, where old and unusable weapons are returned, I cannot help but be encouraged by the fact that reports note "thousands" of weapons being turned over. Admittedly, in a nation where there are millions of weapons, thousands is a drop in the bucket, but it is a start. It also demonstrates that there is some "pseudo" higher order needs that are unrealized or could be exploited there.

Council Member

ICG, 5 Jul 07: Congo: Consolidating the Peace
    ....Congo has a window of only a few years during which the international community can be expected to remain committed to supporting consolidation of the peace process. By the end of 2007, the UN Mission (MONUC) will probably be under pressure to implement a significant drawdown, and donor support will likely be shifting to other post-conflict theatres. Without strong, clear signs of significant changes in governance, the window could close even more quickly. This report outlines the challenges that need to be addressed in the next two years....

Council Member

Ash Center, 1 Feb 10: Innovations for Post-Conflict Transitions: The United Nations Development Program in the Democratic Republic of Congo
    ....This report examines the organizational dimensions of the UNDP office in the DRC, and analyzes its most important program innovations. Section I describes the difficult country and regional contexts in which the office operated. Section II explores the unique institutional vision and leadership by which the UNDP emerged as a key agent in the DRC. Section III analyzes innovation and scope of procurement and delivery. Section IV discusses Security Sector Reform—disarmament, demobilization and reintegration—as keys to post-conflict development in the DRC. Section V offers conclusions based on the findings of the report.....

I welcome correction or criticism, especially from Tom (the regional SME), but it seems to me that guns-for-bikes is better thought out than gun-for-cash.

Cash seems likely to get re-invested in better guns or spent on drugs, ladies of negotiable affection, etc. Bikes can be the basis for several service industries (all manner of delivery services and travelling tradesmen), support to commuting further than walking is practical for, and creates the need for a supporting industry (bike repair). Sort of like the priciple behind 'micro-loans'.

This having been said, all of the reservations about re-use of the swapped guns, broken/worn-out guns being swapped, accuracy of reporting by the reverend, etc are, sadly, beyond dispute.
    Last edited by Van; 03-22-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Failed to close a paren.

Default Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (new title)

The head of the U.N. mission in Congo said on Saturday he was concerned about growing human rights abuses by the security forces, just days after the worst political violence since landmark elections last year. At least 87 people were killed in the opposition-controlled western province of Bas-Congo according to Interior Minister General Denis Kalume.

But, human rights violations remain widespread, particularly in the country's militia-ridden east. Car hijacks and civilians killings are reported in the east of the province under insurgent control. One local health worker and another villager were killed this weekend by alleged FDLR hutu fighters and the health centre was looted. This violence outbreak is caused by the vacuum left after the 9th brigade was redeployed to the south from Katale to Kilimanyoka on the north axis.

The town of Ikela and its neighbourhood have been cleaned by police reinforced by armed forces. The insurgency started by a certain Nkoy Azoki alias Libanais has been defeated and the insurgents have fled to Opala for safety after two weeks of fight.

Troops have gathered in triangle comprised between Ngungu, Katoyi and Kibabi in Masisi territory (some 40 km West of Goma) and are supposed to plan a resistance to what they call a betrayal by President . They are mainly made of Mai Mai and Hutu warriors led by Major Bigembe and Colonel Mugabo. A new insurgency is imminent, a new way to win posts and money.

Carl, our alumni has been sending these to Stan and me. The Mai Mai go back to the early 60s; they were as I recall the first in the "modern" Congo to come up with the bullets into water business. Mai in Arabic means water and I believe that is true in Swahili as well' And of course the "Hutu warriors" are my old "friends". War in its various forms has been a constant for the Congo since 1994.

Best

Tom
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-08-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Mod at work

Default More Goma

More from Carl

Democratic Republic of Congo named a new government on Monday evening , the announcement was made on state television (RTNC) in Kinshasa. The new government comprises one prime minister, 39 ministers and 20 deputy ministers. The new government kept some ministers, such as Denis Kalume who retained the interior portfolio as minister of state, and brought in figures from parties which backed Kabila through the elections. Is the cabinet strong enough to ease social tensions in the capital town or deal with tribal warriors and insurgents in the east?

Fighting continues in eastern areas, where ethnic militia still operate despite the presence of the MONUC, the world's biggest international peacekeeping force. A MONUC/FARDC joint mission to assess security in Minembwe highlands did not reach destination because of bad weather, but Gen Amisi (FARDC chief-of-staff says all the so-called insurgents will forcibly be taken to Luberizi where 1800 troops are already waiting. Colonel Alexandre (a mai mai fighter) is also gathering his troops for integration in Katshungu-Lulingu; security will improve in both Shabunda and Lulingu (south Kivu).

Drugs, cannabis and alcohol are the main cause of unrest in Ksai Occidental. Lots of civilians and soldiers have been arrested in Kananga and the ops are to be extended to the whole province in order to dismantle the supply chains and eventually destroy cannabis plantations. Cannabis yields more cash than maize, so farmers prefer it regardless the devastating effect on the youth. The same phenomenon is observed in Bukavu. In Goma, locally distilled whisky is sold everywhere and it has a negative effect on motorcyclists and cause traffic accidents at any time.
    For maps of the area

Tom

"A new insurgency is imminent, a new way to win posts and money."

Whenever the FARDC (the regular Congolese Army) can't handle a revolt or armed flareup, which is almost never, the gov. is in the habit of buying the leaders of the revolt off with a high rank or command of a military district.
    So, if you are an ambitious leader with some men to command and you want to better yourself; you command your men to go forth and make trouble. They generally make trouble by murdering innocent people in the area.

Then, the gov. responds by giving the ambitious leader a high rank and a command in the army that was too weak to beat him.

Default Ala Zäirois (err, Congolese)

Drugs, cannabis and alcohol are the main cause of unrest in Ksai Occidental. Lots of civilians and soldiers have been arrested in Kananga and the ops are to be extended to the whole province in order to dismantle the supply chains and eventually destroy cannabis plantations. Cannabis yields more cash than maize, so farmers prefer it regardless the devastating effect on the youth. The same phenomenon is observed in Bukavu. In Goma, locally distilled whisky is sold everywhere and it has a negative effect on motorcyclists and cause traffic accidents at any time.
    Thanks for the post Carl !
    Even as early as 85 cannabis was the preferred crop. It however then had little effect on the locals, it was just business and the Peace Corps and other Groupies would buy whatever was available.

Sad, it appears to have replaced a Simba lager. Worse yet, the Zäirois back then rarely (intentionally) did something to harm younger children. As many as four generations in one household, but the kids were safe (relatively speaking).

On a final note, I don't recall any of the locals driving without causing traffic accidents, and can only imagine doing said on distilled whisky.

Default Congo 7 Feb Sitrep from Carl

The new 60 member government, of which 9 are women has urgent tasks. One of its first tasks will be to tackle unrest causes by making security priority number one. Army, police and justice should be given relevant means for deep reformation otherwise all the other actions will be groundless. The government has new faces in it, but no one from rebel groups namely RCD and MLC.

Disarmament of foreign negative forces is a Monuc mandate. The Lords Resistance Army fighters are based in northern DRC (Congo) with a certain Vincent Otti who has decided to resume hostilities from southern Sudan where Joseph Kony (Lords Resistance Army warlord) is still hiding.

The reason for this change is that negotiations are stuck and Kenya has rejected a proposal to host them. Uganda might find it a good reason to cross the boarder into DRC (Congo) and hunt them down. Another group is an ADF/NALU coalition hiding at the foot of Rwenzori mount. The worst of negative armed group is that of Hutu (Rwandan) fighters scattered in the east from South Kivu to North Kivu, their sanctuary stretches at the edge of the Congo jungle. They often mix with Mai Mai tribal warriors ; the Alpha and Bravo mixed brigades are mandated to fight them.

Heavy shelling were reported yesterday morning in the area of Nyamilima-Ishasha to stop an attack of FDLR (Hutu hardliners) and Mai Mai coalition, the 8th military region did not confirm the fights. There is fear of reprisals among the locals who're alleged to cooperate with those negative forces.

Colonel Delemba of Baleine brigade was killed yesterday night when his residence was attacked by tribal warriors faithful to his rival, Colonel Lafontaine. Baleine brigade troops gathered in Bingi town (south west of Butembo) waiting for integration. Civilians have fled to neighbouring towns.
    "Army, police and justice should be given relevant means for deep reformation" means they need to be paid. Who gets paid and who does not is the real issue.

The LRA has been a growing threat in the past 2 decades or so; it is very much an armed cult that the Ugandan government and its supporters finally started to take on while my the guy who replaced me in Rwanda, Rick Orth, later served as DATT.

Best

Tom

Default Child Soldiers in DR Congo

5 years old and a general already! Alexander Haig has got nothing on this kid.

Seriously, I could have put this under the Congo SitReps from Carl but this one deserves its own thread. Child soldiers are a fact of life--and death--in Africa these days.

"They are fast. They are brave. They are everything a commander would want. So they are definitely still an asset to the mixed brigades". Who are they?

Child soldiers named by the CAAG acronym to mean Child Associated to Armed Groups. General Baraka, five years old, is a CAAG captured in Lubero territory and transferred to Goma tw days ago. Unicef has been asked to take care of him. He was commander of a mai mai (tribal warrior group) estimated at a brigade ; that's why Baraka' although a child, is officially known as brigadier General Baraka. He is hidden somewhere in Goma for security reason.

And if the 700 Club/Operation Blessing could do it while Stan and I were on the groumd in Goma, I guess the UN peacekeers can too. (And no, I did not make up the names):
    UN peacekeepers patrolling eastern Congo allegedly traded gold and weapons with the militias they were supposed to help disarm, according to leaked UN reports. An investigation by the BBC World Service, to be broadcast today, alleges that Pakistani peacekeepers based in the mineral-rich area of Mongbwalu bought gold from two rebel commanders nicknamed Dragon and KungFu.
    Best

Tom

Default Links?

Tom do you have links to the articles?

Have you read, A long Way gone by Ishmael Beah. It is an account of child soldiers written by a former child soldier in Sierra Leone.

T

Hey mate,

What you see is what I have from Carl. They are his old outfit's sitreps from the Congo. I will keep looking in the press tpo see if some open source news comes out.

Best

Tom

Default Lockheed Electras, Diamonds and Eggs

You know Tom, when we would constantly check those tail numbers at N'djili, I had some real doubts that the folks at Clarendon were listening. Who, afterall would believe that 11 or 12 Electras were flying round the clock with a manifest of eggs and milk, returning with (ahem) nothing

I actually still have those doubts, but no longer care

Back in our days, had you reported this general, I'd have ended up with (what was her name) 'Becka' (a new DATT) much sooner.

On a serious note, those camps in Goma were not sitting around waiting for UN food donations, and I recall extremely young children already handling firearms.

The heart of darkness she was and still is !

Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    You know Tom, when we would constantly check those tail numbers at N'djili, I had some real doubts that the folks at Clarendon were listening. Who, afterall would believe that 11 or 12 Electras were flying round the clock with a manifest of eggs and milk, returning with (ahem) nothing

I actually still have those doubts, but no longer care

Back in our days, had you reported this general, I'd have ended up with (what was her name) 'Becka' (a new DATT) much sooner.

On a serious note, those camps in Goma were not sitting around waiting for UN food donations, and I recall extremely young children already handling firearms.

The heart of darkness she was and still is !

Regards, Stan
    Stan,

I did hear later that we actually had an effect on the Angolan airlift when our stuff was compared with some other reports. But remember Op Blessing at Goma and those brand new (newly refurbished) aircraft? The 700 Club and Op Blessing actually ended up getting fined over that one by the state of Virginia for using a humanitarian organization as a front to smuggle gold and diamonds. Fiery Kate got on their track as well after we left and while I was in Rwanda--because they were hiring former SEALs as bodyguards, etc. One of them told her what they were doing in their "humanitarian" work.

I guess what gets me about the 5 year old general is that you could not make this stuff up. I know we saw youngsters with plenty of blood on their hands but a 5 year old? and a general?

Best

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 05-29-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Default Congo-Kinshasa: New Democracy Must Build on Local Leaders

Free elections in the DRC ? I thought, naw, this must be yet another Congo drill - reel 'em in, eliminate one's opponent's, Commandre, and all of his forces

An intriguing article from All Africa, A bit long-winded covering history from the late 1800s, but they do finally get to the point on page two.

With conflicts in the Democratic Republic of Congo cooling, and warriors aspiring to become democrats, the country’s new constitution is coming under increased scrutiny.

In a novel development for the DRC – where there is persistent worry that only a strong centre can hold the far-flung state together – power is split between national, provincial and even local institutions, write constitutional experts Olivier Kambala wa Kambala and Coel Kirkby. This is a development that should be welcomed, they say.

The new provinces will become operational in 2009. Each province is electing a provincial assembly, which in turn will elect a governor. The assembly will share power with the national legislature in many civil rights areas and can also draft its laws for a provincial development plan, regulate customary law, raise taxes and more. On paper, the Congolese provinces have similar powers to Nigerian states and South African provinces. This analogy inevitably invokes the dreaded “f”-word, federalism.

Right now the situation is different. First, Congolese citizens have participated in a few free and fair elections. Second, there is time to establish governing and administrative institutions before the new provinces are inaugurated. Last, poorer provinces have a constitutionally-assured share of national revenues. Nevertheless, this ambitious plan will face monumental challenges.
    More at the link

One of the reasons I regret leaving Congo in March, is that I won't be on the spot to see how all this is going to work out. Especially given the attitude of the people I was able to talk to.

They were very optimistic about the process, not about the individuals, but about the political structure, idealistic even. One guy told me, "We'll see how Kabila does. If we don't like it, in 5 years we'll vote him out". I hope it works out that way.

Congo-Kinshasa: New Democracy Must Build on Local Leaders
    The premise and flaw is in the title of the article.

Local leaders are determined by whom? The locals correct? The problem in apllying that to the DRC is that Kinshasa is an abberation in the "Congo" as the locals are a melange. The provinces when it is all said and done remain tribal and tribal alliance-based.

The DRC is not a country and this article just trots out the same old tired phrases to describe but at the sametime camouflage that reality. the authors writing safely from the UK and Canada for AllAfrica are not going to cross the PC line by stating such realities.

Best
    Tom