Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default As always, money is where the fight should be oriented.

The conflict minerals that we use in our cellphone still finance the war in Eastern DRC. But US took the lead to fight against it!

In order for these initiatives to have a real impact in the Eastern Congo, the governance issues must be addressed, particularly feasibility, reliability and security problems. The lack of administrative capacity in the country, the integrity of the administration and the militarisation of production sites should take priority. From an industry perspective, international coherence is required to avoid distortion of competition. European and Asian companies should be subject to the same regulations as U.S. companies.
    http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/key-is...7C9808EC50F%7D

Default As Casandra said..

Don't shoot the messenger, especially if he brings bad news.
    Some in Kinshasa and elsewhere said that those who said that fraudulent elections would have bad consequences were just black crows...

First, there are rumors that the Congolese military is on the verge of splitting. Reportedly, the president’s circle is suspecting some military elements from the western parts of the Congo of having allied themselves with Kinshasa’s neighbor to the north, Congo-Brazzaville. Military units from the western region are believed to be colluding with the former Air Force Chief of Staff of the Democratic Republic of Congo, General Faustin Munene, who is accused of having masterminded a failed coup in Kinshasa more than a year ago and who has been in hiding in Congo-Brazzaville.
    Second, there are fears of a rebellion. General Munene left Congo in October 2010 to allegedly link up with the thousands of former officers and soldiers of the “Forces Armées Zaïoises,” the army that was loyal to deposed dictator Mobutu Sese Seko. Munene is also suspected of having struck an alliance with the current Congolese army Chief-of-Staff, General Didier Etumba.
    Third, since the beginning of the year, self-proclaimed president Etienne Tshisekedi has reportedly started promising to soon pay $150 to all military elements, no matter what the rank. The lack of salary for soldiers is a serious problem in the Congo. As recently as January 9, two army brigades in Bukavu, South Kivu protested a more than a three-month pay delay. Three soldiers and two civilians were injured. Given the destitution of many soldiers, it is not unlikely that some military elements could be motivated by the promise of pay to shift their loyalty to Tshisekedi – a scenario certainly worrisome to President Kabila as he begins his new five-year term amid ongoing tension over organized massive fraud cases.
    http://www.enoughproject.org/blogs/m...bversion-congo

Council Member

If I am correct, the US Army is still training Congolese soldiers. What impact does this have on the current situation?

Default rein du tout

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    If I am correct, the US Army is still training Congolese soldiers. What impact does this have on the current situation?
    A good question and a sad answer - Nothing. How do you train a military without a salary, without having had a meal since yesterday and, could potentially make twice the amount of money without lifting a finger ?

It really doesn't matter who trains the Zairois. I did it in 1984 and continued to try along with the Belgians, Chinese, Egyptians, French, Germans, Israelis, and to some extent the South Africans before leaving.

The next generation is a direct result of war and rape. Where could one go from there
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Hey M-A,
    Never recall anyone worried about Mobutu being reelected, or, Etienne coming to power. Seems most were just concerned with getting by the next day. The military pay and rations issue has plagued just about every African leader greedy for wealth and power.

I will wait for you to take power and I will join you in K-town as your American advisor

Why not ? Everybody else has done a great job of screwing things up til now !

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger, especially if he brings bad news.
    Some in Kinshasa and elsewhere said that those who said that fraudulent elections would have bad consequences were just black crows...

Default good idea

I will wait for you to take power and I will join you in K-town as your American advisor
    Yeah, let's start the independant state of Kasai again with Kananga as capital of the world! My program... Free diamonds for everyone.

More seriously, here is the link to the last expert panel report. To be read with attention. Sometimes it contradict itself between 2 chapters...
    They are little more serious than enough and come to worrying conclusions too by the way.
    http://www.un.org/sc/committees/1533/egroup.shtml

Yes, the US army contracted a private security company to train 1 batallion and is trying to get a second one trained. But as Stan already mentioned it, it's a little hoppeless. For the reasons he gave: no money, no equipment, no effective chain of command, low motivation, high level of criminality, total impunity...
    Last exercise was basically an air evacuation exercie with the Congolese Air Force (please do not laugh too loud Stan).

Council Member

A good question and a sad answer - Nothing. How do you train a military without a salary, without having had a meal since yesterday and, could potentially make twice the amount of money without lifting a finger ?

It really doesn't matter who trains the Zairois. I did it in 1984 and continued to try along with the Belgians, Chinese, Egyptians, French, Germans, Israelis, and to some extent the South Africans before leaving.

The next generation is a direct result of war and rape. Where could one go from there
    So what's the point of the current training exercise? Is it to keep Samantha Powers and her people happy? To be seen to be doing something? What really is the rationale?

Quote Originally Posted by KingJaja View Post
    So what's the point of the current training exercise? Is it to keep Samantha Powers and her people happy? To be seen to be doing something? What really is the rationale?
    The difficult and short answer is: The State Department's Bureau of African Affairs (under the guise of "training and security enhancement" which normally is also in the (ahem... cough) mutual interests of the DRC). There's obviously a lot more to be gained than attempting to turn the Congolese military into a professional career path

The decision to renew assistance to the DRC never made it to Power's although she is often quoted about the human tragedy in the Congo. She would in fact be a good start, but I doubt even she could turn off the suffering of the Congolese.

The really bad news however is just who won the contract to perform this training. I have already had my fill of "lowest bidder to a govt. contract" and the folks responsible for Liberia and now DRC already shafted my programs several years ago.

We cannot train nor turn off the problems associated with the Congolese military until some very basic necessities are financed and met with some serious thought. Everything I see and read about tells me we are back in 1991 - armed and hungry soldiers is a bad cocktail.

On 17 January, 4 officers, including 3 generals have been arrested in Rwanda over the accusation of traffiquing conflict minerals between DRC and Rwanda.

Rwanda: Top army officers arrested for 'indiscipline'

They are being investigated over "acts of indiscipline" concerning alleged business dealings in mineral-rich Democratic Republic of Congo.

One of those arrested is the military intelligence chief, who has also advised President Paul Kagame on security issues.

Rwanda has denied past accusations that it plundered DR Congo's minerals.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16619867

Some said that it was an excuse to arrest them as they were preparing a coup against president Kagame. Unfortunately, I cannot post any quote of the Rwandese press as the new paper I am refering has been censored.

Any ways this takes place just 2 weeks after 600 kg of Caseterit were stopped at Goma border by police and provincial minister accused high ranked FARDC and civilian administration to be involved.
    This also takes place just after the UN expert panel released its report.

Conincidences you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hey M-A,...I will wait for you to take power and I will join you in K-town as your American advisor
    Better late than never but can I come too?
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Sur Carl, you can join. But be aware that the project includes the delocalisation of all institutions in Kananga, just like in the old belgium times.
    So we'll be sure none of the congolese politicians can escape.

Sur Carl, you can join. But be aware that the project includes the delocalisation of all institutions in Kananga, just like in the old belgium times.
    And, Carl, we need a twin turboprop for short and quick landings

M-A,
    Where are we going to put all those politicians ?

Stan asked:
    Where are we going to put all those politicians ?
    Ascension Island or West Falkland.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    And, Carl, we need a twin turboprop for short and quick landings
    I can do that. In fact just so we keep in practice, that should be the norm.

If any of them make it into the bush, I knew a guy who was in good with the Pygmys. He could probably get us some good trackers.