Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (new title)

The head of the U.N. mission in Congo said on Saturday he was concerned about growing human rights abuses by the security forces, just days after the worst political violence since landmark elections last year. At least 87 people were killed in the opposition-controlled western province of Bas-Congo according to Interior Minister General Denis Kalume.

But, human rights violations remain widespread, particularly in the country's militia-ridden east. Car hijacks and civilians killings are reported in the east of the province under insurgent control. One local health worker and another villager were killed this weekend by alleged FDLR hutu fighters and the health centre was looted. This violence outbreak is caused by the vacuum left after the 9th brigade was redeployed to the south from Katale to Kilimanyoka on the north axis.

The town of Ikela and its neighbourhood have been cleaned by police reinforced by armed forces. The insurgency started by a certain Nkoy Azoki alias Libanais has been defeated and the insurgents have fled to Opala for safety after two weeks of fight.

Troops have gathered in triangle comprised between Ngungu, Katoyi and Kibabi in Masisi territory (some 40 km West of Goma) and are supposed to plan a resistance to what they call a betrayal by President . They are mainly made of Mai Mai and Hutu warriors led by Major Bigembe and Colonel Mugabo. A new insurgency is imminent, a new way to win posts and money.

Carl, our alumni has been sending these to Stan and me. The Mai Mai go back to the early 60s; they were as I recall the first in the "modern" Congo to come up with the bullets into water business. Mai in Arabic means water and I believe that is true in Swahili as well' And of course the "Hutu warriors" are my old "friends". War in its various forms has been a constant for the Congo since 1994.

Best

Tom
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 12-08-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Mod at work