Thread: Gazing in the Congo (DRC): the dark heart of Africa (2006-2017)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Mike,

Where to start ?

Sent you a PM as some of my views are not exactly suitable herein.

What has changed since my time and recent sporadic trips to the region; little to nothing.
    Infrastructure and basic human needs are not being met and education is stagnant. While communication and internet has grown exponentially, the locals are no more capable than they were in the late 90s.

Way back when herein we sarcastically used the phrase “You can take the man out of WAWA, but you can’t take the WAWA out of the man”. Regardless of what the West did and paid for (for political reasons) little would change and we paid little attention to local customs and courtesies. No amount of cash was going to change the local habitat (that money certainly wouldn’t go there and still doesn’t today).

I once sent an NCO away to the States for 18 months of both language and Infantry training. While he passed with flying colors, it didn’t take long before he returned to his old ways once back home. While most saw this as failure, I concluded that was exactly what would eventually happen.

If we are going to rule the place like the Belgian Congo, then be prepared for another 60 years of carrots and sticks with a painful and expensive venture. Otherwise, we would be better served by staying out.

Regards, Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 03-21-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    If you want to blend in, take the bus