I'm not being facetious when I say this, but we had a large number of reservists/guardsmen who got divorced/lost their jobs as a result of being mobilized, and one would think they would make ideal candidates for running the "civilian side" of the war in Iraq.

Unfortunately, the kinds of organizations they could possibly work for are primarily interested in folks who've just graduated college and can have their "mush-brains" formed in that organizations' image. There are also certain "hoops" these organizations set up to jump through in order to get hired that are completely unrealistic and are there primarily to deter people from applying.

Or maybe someone can tell me a good reason that a reservist SME in CA, Transportation or Intelligence with a Secret or better clearance needs to go through over a year's worth of vetting (accompanied by various stages of being unemployed) to be told NO, you aren't 23, 6'4" (or alternatively, you don't have breasts and a vagina) and have the right "school tie" to work for our organization, so we've let the position go empty.

I have a solution for the politicos: Start firing people. Start at the top, and don't stop until the correct people are in the jobs on the bottom, actually advancing US interests and not their own.