Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
Slap...most of Warden's doctrinal ideas can be traced directly to the Luftwaffe's doctrine of 1936. He also ignores the fact that airpower cannot control terrain, secure a population, or do any number of other things that may be required for actual winning. Can it buy you space? Sure. Can it be extremely effective if you have proper intelligence (which we often do not)? Again, sure. But Warden seems to feel that kinetic airpower is the solution in any and all places. You really might want to read Colin Gray's "Airpower for Strategic Effect" for a wider context on this.
Steve,
I have read it and if you remember I was the person that found Gray's report and posted the link to the PDF download when it first came out.

1-So from memory Gray also points out that America HAS TO BE A HIGH TECHNOLOGY POWER as it relates to our primary warfare method....does he not point that out in the publication?

2-He also points out that one of the things that Airpower has to do in the future is generate the desired Political effect on the ground by using Airpower.....does he not say that somewhere in the document? That is nothing but restating what Warden has said for years.

3-If you look at the PDF I posted from his (Warden's) presentation in Canberra he states as he has done so for years. First you start with the Peace plan you want, then you develop the War plan you need to accomplish those Political objectives and then and only then do you decide if Airpower can accomplish those desired objectives. He does not say nor has he ever said that Airpower is the only solution.