Thread: GWOT Threat - Simple or Complex?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default A culture of dishonesty

I recall that when the US was retaliating for the attacks on our African embassies, bin Laden was on his Satellite phone telling the BBC that he had nothing to do with it. Shortly after 9-11 he denied having anything to do with the attacks then later admitted he did and the evidence is conclusive that he was responsible for the embassy bombings. The ease with which he lies to advance his interest and deceive his victims may just be a reflection of his religious bigotry, since we know little of his conversations with the fidels. Deceit also appears to be common in the statements of al Qaeda in its propaganda videos. Hezballah's Nazrallah spins like a top. Again I do not know about his interactions with his allies. I would think that there would have to be some level of trust in those communications in order to maintain the relationship. But, it is clear that these guys will not let the truth get in the way of achieving their objectives. I suspect that those who do not have a relationship with these people say things that may or may not be true depending who they fear most at the time. That seems to be the experience of some officers who have had to deal with them in Iraq, anyway.

I can think of numerous reports based on statements given by some one at a hospital describing all those killed or injured in a firefight with US troops, as civilians, when at best they didn't have a clue since the enemy does not wear a uniform or carry ID.

That being said, we do have to try and have a relationship with some of these people and work to establish trust. Getting to the honest answer probably requires some work.

I think that one of the problems in dealing with this culture is the low level of emotional maturity. Tantrums over cartoons is one indicator. Deceit is another. I once heard someone argue to Dr. Laura that a child would not lie. She quickly responded that children lie all the the time if they think it will help them avoid the consequences of their acts. It does take maturity to accept consequences.
    Last edited by Merv Benson; 02-08-2007 at 05:09 PM.