Below are some statements made by U.S. general officers and the Secretary of Defense on Russia's involvement with the Taliban in Afghanistan over the past 12 months.

The statements reveal nothing more than diplomatic outreach and an attempt to include the Taliban in a reconciliation process. However, when the subject of direct material aid arises, there is a wall of silence.

Are the Russians arming the Taliban? Is there evidence of advanced Russian small arms being used by Taliban fighters against NATO forces? If so, is it possible that such arms were say sold to the Iranians and then transferred to the Taliban?

Thoughts?

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis on March 31, 2017:

We have seen Russian activity vis--vis the Taliban. I'm not going to say at this point if that has manifested into weapons and that sort of thing, but certainly what they're up to there in light of their other activities gives us concern.
General Mike Scaparotti, SACEUR on March 23, 2017:

I have seen the influence of Russia of late, an increased influence in terms of association and perhaps even supply to the Taliban.
General John Nicholson on February 17, 2017:

The Russian involvement this year has become more difficult. First, they have begun to publicly legitimize the Taliban. This narrative that they promote is that the Taliban are fighting Islamic State, and the Afghan Government is not fighting Islamic State, and that, therefore, there could be a spillover of this group into the region. This is a false narrative.

They also have initiated a series of meetings in Moscow to which the Afghans have not been invited for the first several meetings in which to discuss the future of Afghanistan.

...we have reports of support to the Taliban. But anything more than that, sir, I would ask to discuss in another forum.

[On Russia indirectly helping Al Qaeda by way of the Taliban]...the Taliban are the medium for many of these other terrorist groups to operate because of the convergence of these groups. So your logic is absolutely sound, sir.

...there is some classified reporting that I would request to share with you in another venue. But we are concerned about, in general, support. And I will just leave it at that.