Thread: Building Indigenous Security Forces to match the realities of METT-TC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Building Indigenous Security Forces to match the realities of METT-TC

SWC folks,
    I showed this DRAFT (I've still not decided what to do with it) to Dave and Tom and a couple of others. I've attached a draft of something I've been thinking about for the last six months or so and wanted to get out prior to going into the redeployment black hole, leave and PCS to new schools and job. Not all of this is applicable to what we've done here working with the IA, but think of it as an outgrowth ref. thoughts on security forces. If it fosters some useful discussion then its all good - I think we're going to be doing this job awhile (if not here, then in other locations)

The purpose of this paper is to foster discussion on the organizational design, functions and capabilities of security forces in developing and transitioning states to counter the threats of enemies whose goals, strategies and tactics are opposed to long term security and stability. This is an important question for U.S. security because the expenditure of our own resources is better spent if it requires minimal maintenance and can serve to advance the relationships needed in the generational struggle we face in the Global War on Terror.
    Working as an advisor with the Iraqi Security Forces over the last year has caused me to consider the question of how do you help indigenous leaders to build something that may look and act differently from anything you’re used to seeing, are comfortable with, or is beyond your experience? How do you (you being the agency, command or group tasked) provide the analytical foresight to ensure that the security forces you are helping them build both meet the current needs, but are also adaptable/flexible enough to evolve to meet emerging threats? It is probable that we will be doing this more often in different capacities and on varying scales in different locations around the globe in support of the Global War on Terror (GWOT)......
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 02-09-2007 at 09:46 AM.