Thread: Training for Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think for key commanders and staff we will have to. There are 2 problems:

1) We do not want to confuse soldiers with multiple scenarios. Once they start focusing on Afghanistan then they start almost 'total immersion'.

2) For key commanders and staff the sooner the process of building knowledge on AFPAK society and culture the better. Problem is we have a very very high turnover of key staff before we deploy.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rat View Post
    Problem is we have a very very high turnover of key staff before we deploy.

RR
    Are the new guys at least going to get there for the training?

Hi Guys,

RR, overall, I think it looks pretty good, although I have a few reservations.

1. the overall culture first aim point is good, but there is a lot of validity to specific aim point. I would suggest that, in the overall cultural awareness training, you concentrate mainly on the cluster of semi-nomads: segmented kinship lineage, strong honour systems, warrior cultures, strict gender divisions, strong oral culture, etc. Normally in Anth, that would mean pastoralists, but there is a segment that is horticultural (e.g. the old Goths ~ 400 ce, Scots borderers, etc.) that parallels the Afghans of Helmand. That type of concentration (nomads and semi-nomads) should cover most of the areas that you are liekly to deploy to over the next 20 years or so.

2. I notice that you are going to have Captains training the troops. Are the Sgt Maj's going to be at that training as well? You're going to need your SNCO's and/or WO's to "translate" a fair chunk of the material.

3. Are you going to build in something in the ISTAR training on how to talk with the Yanks? They're the ones with most of the air power and a fair bit of the artillery, and I fully expect them to still be operating in Helmand in 2010-11. Indeed, in the last 6 months pre-deployment, you should know which US units will be operating in the area, so it would be worthwhile to try and set up either liasons or some type of "joint" exercise.

More later...
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-14-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

Staff turnover - most captains and majors rotate every 2 years in August. Of the current bde staff we are expecting just over half the majors to move on next year and just under half the captains. In the units it is the same for battalion staff and company commanders. Accordingly we want to build up a robust knowledge within the brigade and get the mindset, processes and procedures at HQ level established as much as possible. The incoming staff will arrive shortly before the mission specific training starts and key commanders should be in place from now until the end of the tour.

For MarcT's points:

1) I like it. I will get the unit to try and look cross-cultural but at the areas you suggest.

2) Much depends on venue capacity and availability. Having company level staff upwards is the plan and we will try and bring in the sergeant-majors. The British Army has a long and distinguished history of not teaching it's SNCOs to think....... we are trying to change this.

3) We are hoping to rope in the Americans as much as possible. Likewise the Dutch and possibly the Germans (the local German bde deploys to N. Afghanistan shortly after we do). We have embedded US staff at our Div HQ whom we are courting shamelessly!

RR
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-14-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Default Backgrounders...

RR,

The training plan overview appears to cover the essentials. Sitting in my armchair, while thinking about how socioeconomics might shape security issues in Helmand, I googled a few reports that might be of interest when fleshing out the particulars of the topics listed:

Sapere Aude

Default Language and Culture Training Plan

Attached is the extant version of our language and training plan. We were told that it was resourced and good to go, now we are told that there are issues...

Surferbeetle - thanks for the reports. We will use them to add background detail to our training scenario thereby allowing education through osmosis!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Language and Culture Training Plan: comment

RR,

Training is not my field, but regardless of that and the apparent resourcing issues the plan seems a little "dry". How about some of the options MarcT and I mentioned being aimed at the key receptive personnel in each formation? The UK Army has Muslim Imam's IIRC, how about using them to explain their faith? Are there any minority sects, e.g. Mennonites near Suffield. Or native Indians?

davidbfpo