Thread: Was Rep. Murtha right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am curious why you think it would force other countries in the region such as Egypt, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia to come to grips with fundamentalism, and perhaps destroy it? I also am skeptical about the idea of it destabilizing Iran, if for no other reason than it would keep oil prices very high which would in turn pump billions into the hands of the Iranian leadership.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stu-6
    I am curious why you think it would force other countries in the region such as Egypt, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia to come to grips with fundamentalism, and perhaps destroy it? I also am skeptical about the idea of it destabilizing Iran, if for no other reason than it would keep oil prices very high which would in turn pump billions into the hands of the Iranian leadership.
    Admittedly, the previous assertion was provided only to stimulate additional thought. However, I do not believe that the moderate regime in Turkey seeking European favor, or Mubarrak's would tolerate the presence of any State that would destabilize either. I cannot imagine that Mubarrak would tolerate the presence of any group providing assistance to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, or creating additional problems with the Sudanese that would spill into Egypt. I would further assert that the Saudi Royal Family, regardless of their personal fundamentalism, would not tolerate any group or potential threat to their hold on power and wealth in the Kingdom. Due to the fact a failed State would surely attract radical elements from Pakistan that would return to destabilize Musharref's Regime, I trust he would deal harshly with the threat as well.

Hopefully, nations such as China, India, and Japan that are dependent on Middle East oil would recognize the need to protect this resource, and step in as a security force. Surely, these nations would be subject to the same terrorist acts, casualites, etc., and thus would potentially partner with the US to bring the GWOT to a successful conclusion.

As for the Iranians, their oil and natural gas resources are such that they will always have the means to purchase wepaons, or assist the militias in Lebanon / Palestine. We have tried to deal with them by cutting off diplomatic relations since 1979, and this course of action has failed. We can only hope that the US chooses the "reasonable man" approach with them, re-opens our embassay in Tehran, and influences the Iranians to spend money on internal projects.
    Last edited by Strickland; 01-12-2006 at 12:52 AM.

I have no doubt that the regimes of both Egypt and Saudi Arabia would like most of the radical Islamist to go away I just question whether they would be willing to alienate their supports who are more sympathetic to groups like the Muslim Brothers. Also I would wonder how effective they would be if they tried to move against the fundamentalist.

I agree completely about taking a "reasonable man" approach with Iran, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.