Thread: Need advice finding a reading

Council Member

Default Need advice finding a reading

Hey, all. I could use your advice -- I'm looking to assign a reading on the definition of terrorism that is up to date enough to take into account the complexities posed by ISIS, its activities fighting to take and hold territory etc.

Has anyone seen anything decent? This is for very advanced undergrads/baby grad students.

Much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Cori View Post
    Hey, all. I could use your advice -- I'm looking to assign a reading on the definition of terrorism that is up to date enough to take into account the complexities posed by ISIS, its activities fighting to take and hold territory etc.

Has anyone seen anything decent? This is for very advanced undergrads/baby grad students.

Much obliged.
    I still think Bruce Hoffman's definition of terrorism in Inside Terrorism is the most timeless (and timely):
    We may therefore now attempt to define terrorism as the deliberate creation and exploitation of fear through violence or the threat of violence in the pursuit of political change. All terrorist acts involve violence or the threat of violence. Terrorism is specifically designed to have far-reaching psychological effects beyond the immediate victim(s) or object of the terrorist attack. It is meant to instill fear within, and thereby intimidate, a wider `target audience' that might include a rival ethnic or religious group, an entire country, a national government or political party, or public opinion in general. Terrorism is designed to create power where there is none or to consolidate power where there is very little. Through the publicity generated by their violence, terrorists seek to obtain the leverage, influence and power they otherwise lack to effect political change on either a local or an international scale.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-21-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: fix quote
    David S. Maxwell
    "Irregular warfare is far more intellectual than a bayonet charge." T.E. Lawrence

Cori,

The main SWC thread on ISIS may help: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=21084

I cannot recall a discussion here about definitions of terrorism, although IIRC whether ISIS is a state has appeared.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

I don't think we moved past outdated definitions about terrorism being limited to the weak. Bottom line is that the strong also employ terrorism for multiple reasons. They range from controlling their own populations to a form of statecraft. If you find a viable definition please share it.

Council Member

Default thanks guys

I actually assign the Hoffman book for my large lecture class, but I'll check out that other thread -- it'd be nice to assign something addit'l that spoke to hybrid issues, b/c they will bring it up!

Cori,

Try this article from Israel on ISIS. It may not fit your needs, but from afar it looks like a close, topical match:http://www.ict.org.il/Article/1424/F...stions-on-ISIS
    davidbfpo