Thread: Understanding Indian Insurgencies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    And if we controlled the world media and opinion as the US does, it would stick and become the Gospel Truth!
    If the US controls world opinion, how come everybody thinks we're assholes? Just sayin', you know... it seems like a strange way to use control. You'd think we'd use that control to make somebody somewhere like us. Maybe it's all part of some Grand Sinister Conspiracy.

So, one has to use one's insight to realise what is the reality and what is fantasy.
    And of course one's insight is invariably free of prejudice and preconception...

So, only the western countries are the real second coming of Jesus?
    Neither Jesus nor Satan, just another bunch of clumsy folks trying to get by and occasionally making a mess. Doesn't seem so hard to figure that out, unless you really really want to see one extreme or the other.
    Last edited by Dayuhan; 12-07-2011 at 03:26 AM.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member Backwards Observer's Avatar

Default she stoops to concur

From the always entertaining Heritage Foundation:

US-Australia-India: A possible new alliance

It is wrong to view the proposed India-Australia-US cooperation agreement as a military pact being planned to contain the rising influence of China.

[..]

Some of the media coverage of the prospects for US-India-Australia trilateral cooperation is misleading. No one in his or her right mind believes a trilateral ‘security pact’ is in the offing. The goal is really to promote a stable and predictable order in the Indo-Pacific.

[...]

The US, Australia and India have ‘intersecting’, not ‘identical’ interests. There are things we disagree on. Geography alone dictates that we see the world from slightly different angles. But there is enough commonality in our world views and our challenges that we should consider those areas where our perspectives do overlap and work together where it is in our mutual interest.

(Lisa Curtis is Senior Research Fellow and Walter Lohman is Director, Asian Studies, with the Heritage Foundation.)
    US-Australia-India: A possible new alliance - The Pioneer - Dec 6, 2011.

Stable and predictable...yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

maybe I'm a chinese jet pilot - youtube

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    If the US controls world opinion, how come everybody thinks we're assholes? Just sayin', you know... it seems like a strange way to use control. You'd think we'd use that control to make somebody somewhere like us. Maybe it's all part of some Grand Sinister Conspiracy.
    I would not use such a term for the US, since in our part of the world, it is rather offensive a word.

Even though the opinion of many is shaped by news and commentaries of the western agencies and think tanks, it is only when one finds incongruity in the word and deed that one revises one's opinion.

For instance bringing Freedom and Democracy to Iraq, when Rwanda and Zimbabwe were witnessing worse human rights atrocities. And when WMD was not found in Iraq inspite of repeated assertions, one realised that one has been taken for a ride.

On the issue of Grand Conspiracy:

You may like to see the turmoil going on currently in India on Retail in FDI. Likewise, Monsanto seeds were touted as the saviour of Indian agriculture with lot of western hype and also touted by the Indian business lobby and all that came about was that it has only caused a whole lot of farmers suicides.

Many years ago, PL 480 wheat from the US gave rise to the epidemic caused by Congress grass brought in by the contaminated wheat!

I would not call it any conspiracy, grand or otherwise.

Council Member

Backward,

You have to know India to understand India.

It is good that you have posted this link

http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnis...-alliance.html

But have you no comments or wise analysis to make except a vague 'Stable and Predictable.......yeah, maybe I am a Chinese jet pilot'?

Not much to go by unless you are the type who is merely enamoured with the tote count! :rofl:

But have you no comments or wise analysis to make except a vague 'Stable and Predictable.......yeah, maybe I am a Chinese jet pilot'?

Not much to go by unless you are the type who is merely enamoured with the tote count! :rofl:
    Ray, a fair point! I've decided to take your advice above and educate myself before commenting. Lacking your enviable mental agility, I fear that I may find it more educational to read your posts than to respond to them.

Somewhat off-topic, and if I recall correctly you self-identify as a Christian so you may not be able to answer this, but do you think the Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu?

Council Member

I would not know. It is not material for me to know in my country; India is a secular country. Each to his own belief.

However, I am a bit perplexed as to what has Buddha, Vishnu got to with Indian insurgencies.

I would not know. It is not material for me to know in my country; India is a secular country. Each to his own belief.

However, I am a bit perplexed as to what has Buddha, Vishnu got to with Indian insurgencies.
    Well, from what little I know of the subject, Buddhism presented a direct challenge to the dominant traditions of Hinduism. The response by Hinduism was to more or less absorb Buddhism, mainly through the designation of the Buddha as the twenty-fourth avatar of Vishnu.

Not essentially a topic of insurgency, just something I was curious about and I thought you might have an insight. Thanks for your reply.

Now back to your regular schedule of Western media angst and Sinophobic China-bashing!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Backwards Observer View Post
    Well, from what little I know of the subject, Buddhism presented a direct challenge to the dominant traditions of Hinduism. The response by Hinduism was to more or less absorb Buddhism, mainly through the designation of the Buddha as the twenty-fourth avatar of Vishnu.

Not essentially a topic of insurgency, just something I was curious about and I thought you might have an insight. Thanks for your reply.

Now back to your regular schedule of Western media angst and Sinophobic China-bashing!
    Buddhism or any other religion with origin in India had coexisted through centuries with Hinduism.

Do start a thread on India and its history instead of mixing issues, unless you have some good reason or agenda behind it!

I am sure if you do, someone who is more conversant with the same would enlighten you.

One does not have to bash China. One would feel that it is but self flagellation that they do. Or else why claim half the world as yours i.e. China's?

BTW it might bring joy. Hu has told China to rapidly modernise their navy and be prepared for warfare.

This has been reported by a Sydney newspaper.

You being in Australia can check that out!

Don't worry about the Indo US equation. Last heard is that is a 'strategic relationship'! Take it for what it is worth!

I apologise that I do not have unique expertise of stating issues in a round about way, wherein is what is to be said is said, and yet it is not said so clearly.

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    Sun Tzu

I do admire the Chinese and those who can emulate them.

Hopefully one day I will learn how not to be colourful or vibrant as so succinctly put by you!
    Last edited by Ray; 12-07-2011 at 02:53 PM.