Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Chemical Attack in Iraq

That's part of why I wouldn't call the old rat a jihadi. He's a bit like the Sunni version of Pat Robertson, except in our discourse Robertson is a nutbag right winger, while in the Sunni Islamist context Qaradawi is a liberalizing influence.

Banned

Sure. I understand you.

Council Member

Default Bin Laden authorized it already

In a previous fatwa OBL already authorized/justified the use of chemical weapons, so the religious debate won't get us too far. I realize OBL is authorized to issue fatwas in traditional Islam, but none the less he has a following, and those followers will use his fatwa to justify the use of chemical weapons.

If the Muslim community could find a way to discredit OBL and his fatwa's, then we could start this debate again, but right now it sounds like we're trying to wish a potential problem away?

Banned

He, personally, doesn’t have religious (spiritual and scholarly) standing to do that. That’s reason he have some Islamic scholars on his side to help him, advice him and write fatwa for him… You must understand that every scholar can say or write this or that, but it is up to people to accept or not. Therefore, there are many Islamic scholars who refute him and “his” fatwas.

I know that he did sign his name under some fatwa but truth is, Islamic scholars are saying for years that he doesn’t have credibility to issue any. Justifications for use of WMD weapons (IF they have any for some massive strike), came not from him but from some other scholars that he is leaning for religious advices and guidance.

Islamic community did started long time ago to discredit OBL and AQ but Western press didn’t gave them much voice and coverage. Debate it’s going even now and those fatwas are refuted. And one more thing, Bill… If you didn’t catch this article, I recommend you to take a look. It’s interesting read:

Three Explanations for Al-Qaeda's Lack of A CBRN Attack
    http://jamestown.org/terrorism/news/...icleid=2370251