Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
I think the real moral is that, in war, weird things that defy explanation often occur.
I have no idea why that is, but it's so true. So I'll expound on the story above a bit: We pulled one guy out of the front passenger seat after the shooting. A 5.56 round had grazed the left side of his head, but otherwise, he was fine. I mean he was talking, wearing his new zip-ties, etc. So I walked over to the car and looked inside. The seat from which I'd just watched my guys pull him was absolutely peppered with bullet holes. Like maybe a dozen. The stuffing was coming out. Like it had been used for target practice. I looked back at him, then back at the seat, then back at him again, and then back at the seat. How is it possible that he come out of it with no holes and relatively unscathed? No idea. It's one of those things that you're talking about. You just acknowledge, accept, and move on.

Oh, and another time in Afghanistan an F-16 dropped a 2,000-lb. JDAM on my platoon and it didn't detonate. That was weird.

I could tell stories all night, but I need to get some sleep.