Thread: Policing in the Middle East

Default Policing in the Middle East

I am after recommendations for reading on the policing culture and norms in the Middle East.

I saw some good point on the (closed) 2008 thread Policing in Combat but what I am really after is works that give a feel for the difference in attitudes towards policing between the West and the Middle East.

The context of this is a project on the periphery of Italian Carabinieri efforts to train the Iraqi Police.
    RR

"War is an option of difficulties"

Default Starting points

Professor Alice Hills, lka @ Leeds University, has written extensively on policing and may have covered the region. She is now @ Durham and her bio indicates a broad interest and writing, but on Africa mainly:https://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/profiles/?id=11424

Joana Cook @ Kings War Studies has an interest in policing as part of CT in the region, her focus was the Yemen and lately Saudi Arabia. I know her so will alert her.. Her bio:http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/department...phd/jcook.aspx

There is a former UK policing plus adviser @ RUSI, who served in Iraq and I will connect you.

It maybe worth looking at SSR material and focus on the region.

The UK, along with others, have offered places for Middle Eastern police leaders at staff colleges. Not sure if they publish anything though.

There was a UK police team in Iraq advising and IIRC some have published articles.
    davidbfpo

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have ordered a couple of books as well:

What Happened To The Iraqi Police?

The Police In War

and

Policing and Prisons in the Middle East

I think the last will be of the most use as I try and understand what the West seeks to provide in Iraq based on its view of policing and what Iraq actually wants based on its view of policing.
    RR

"War is an option of difficulties"