Thread: Suicide Attacks: weapon of the future?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My area of operations

Quote Originally Posted by Granite_State View Post
    A chilling read from the NYT Magazine on female suicide bombers:

This story is a very important one to consider. This was my area of operations. I've written about Zaganiyah, but I haven't really talked about Abu Sayda or Mukisa yet. Abu Sayda is a Shia enclave with ties to Baghdad and Iran. Mukisa and Qubbah were the political, judicial, and religious headquarters of the ISI in the DRV. Additionally, Saddam used to recruit his Fedayeen from Mukisa.

I'm not sure why Major Hosham left out a couple of details. He is a Tamimi and a Shia so he has his own perogatives or maybe they were just lost in translation.

The women started blowing themselves up about a year after I left. Neither Rayna nor Baida were particularly religious. In fact, from what I understand, Rayna doesn't believe in God. They acted out of hate and revenge.

This was just one of the secondary and tertiary effects that occured after the Surge one that I have no I idea on how to fix or cope much less comprehend.

I've spoken with several sociologist and defense analysis experts about this phenomena; however, most take the data as outliers. I disagree. Yes, maybe, in terms of Iraq it is an outlier, but if you examine the empirical evidence prior to 2003, the numbers become important. Moreover, it demonstrates a morphing or evolution of the suicide bomber. They no longer are typical radical fundamentalist.

Baida was smiling again. “If I had not seen you before and talked to you, I would kill you with my own hands,” she said pleasantly. “Do not be deceived by my peaceful face. I have a heart of stone."
    This incident along with others left me to question the Pop-Centric COIN theory.

How do you secure this populace?

v/r

Mike
    Last edited by MikeF; 09-14-2009 at 03:40 PM.