Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
Carl - Given the effects of the Pressler Amendment and subsequent cutoff of aid in 1990, I think that may be rather wistful thinking. The Pakistani Army saw itself isolated and without Western patronage. Rather than spurring a reexamination of its institutional priorities, this only aggravated its paranoia about Western intentions, especially towards Pakistan's nuclear capability, and saw the growth of ties to China.

The negative effects of the 1990 cutoff probably weigh on policymakers' reluctance to completely cut off ties to the Pakistani military.
I will concede that probably nothing but a smashing defeat at the hands of somebody or other or a national collapse will get the Pak Army/ISI to change their thinking. The problem with our policymakers reluctance to stop the money is they use it to kill us. I don't like my money being used to kill a guy I may have sat next to in a chow hall. If the money were completely cut off, at least they would have use their own or somebody else's money when they try to kill us.

There were some negative effects to the 1990 cutoff but those negative effects have to be weighed against the negative effects that occur with aid being given. To me no aid or aid is a tossup so we should save the money.