Thread: The US & others working with Pakistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I wrote this comment elsewhere, but it is more relevant here. What do people think?

I would like to drop in here the possibility that Pax Americana may be about to end in that region(perhaps not yet likely, but definitely possible). This will sound weird to people (and there are billions of them) who do not think there was much pax and Americana was wholly bad in any case, but if that happens then our background assumptions may have to change rather drastically. I suspect that the transitional period will be very violent, very confusing and very unpleasant. Any thoughts?

I wrote this on a liberal blog (http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksd...an-policy.html) and the responses here may be different. I think on this blog, most people will not quibble with "pax Americana" but even here I see that very well informed and intelligent people tend to write as if A can change without a chain reaction of changes from B to Z. For example, I disagree with David's assertion that not much would change in Pakistani politics if there is an alternative route for supplies. I think that if there is an alternative route, Pakistan will either start cooperating more, which would mean that the ISI will stop patronizing Islamist forces and will even end up in confrontation with them, etc. etc. OR Pakistan will not cooperate and the US will be more willing to misbehave and eventually that will lead to the army dismissing the current pro-American civilian regime (weak as it is, it does have authority over some areas of the country) and installing a new civilian facade more suited to confrontation with the US. Either way, the status quo (which involves a very unstable and delicate balance between pro-western forces, pro-chinese and rabidly anti-Indian nationalists, Islamists and local pressure groups) will shift dramatically because it is extremely unstable as it is and cannot withstand an alteration in a big element like US-Pakistan relations.

Omar:

I agree about the Pax Americana and would add the greatest beneficiary of that has been Pakistan. The situation as you say is going to change. We MAY be able affect it to the good if we abandon the supply line or creditably threaten to do so and thereby are able to strong arm the Pak Army/ISI into doing what it doesn't want it to do. That is the only chance we have to influence things to the good and it may not be a good chance.

The other outcome of closing the supply line that you mentioned, the Pak Army/ISI bowing up would also happen if we pull out without playing our last card, the supply line. So we really don't have much to lose.

Things are going to change one way or the other. We have a small chance of helping it go better if we do as you suggest.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Cyril Almeida discusses this topic: http://www.dawn.com/2011/04/29/mystery-or-madness.html

I think he overestimates the Americans, underestimates ISI and the actual "endgame" could be worse than he imagines.

Council Member

Default Funny

The article linked by omarali50 had an advertisement come up that said "by Indian inspired jewelry and clothing"

Default New teams, Old problems by Hamid Hussain

Hamid Hussain has been a SWJ contributor and this commentary reflects his perspective on Pakistan's relations with the USA, after a visit to Pakistan and the pending changes in both countries national security leadership.

I cite one section:
    It is becoming clear that the Pakistan military has decided to jump head first in the ‘snake pit’ called Afghanistan.

It is doubtful that they have done an adequate level of preparation. They are betting that Saudi money and Chinese diplomatic cover will be enough to shield Pakistan from the negative fallout from the next round of their reckless involvement in Afghanistan.
    Due to it's length the comment is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    davidbfpo

Default Moderator adds

Please note some posts here have been moved to the 'Osama bin Laden dead (for information & debate)' thread just created:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=13211

Can comments on OBL's death and implications be placed on that thread please.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

cross-posting from the SWJ blog.

I know excessive psychologizing is not popular on this generally common-sense blog, but I would not be surprised if senior Pakistani officers are the ones feeling wounded because of this fuss.
    They may feel that it was "understood" that no one really really wants Osama and we can all be happy endlessly "looking for him". And that its the US that is violating unwritten "understandings" by being so fussy about such things all of a sudden.
    The notion that the US seriously wants the whole jihadi operation shut down would be even harder to accept for them. I can imagine them thinking that the US was perfectly happy with jihadi terrorists a few years ago and was having endless cups of tea with Kiyani sahib just a few months ago even as they knew where Hafiz Saeed and Maulana Azhar and Daood Ibrahim are being hosted. What changed? why the sudden public fuss? Is this how friends behave? Is there an Indian hand in all this? What do the Americans REALLY want? Is this a plot against our nukes as Shireen Mazari has long maintained? Were we fools to trust the US once again? Are they going to betray us again?
    I am not kidding.