I've trained NG/RC battalions at JRTC and JMRC. I've been in NG/RC battalions. I have yet to see a single one that can C2 their Battalions (and higher) effectively. Their staff officers tend to be complete duds. Their commanders are too busy trying to "play soldier" in order to actually "suck the egg."

You indirectly mentioned one of the problems with the National Guard, overall. There are places in this country (usually the ones with the most federal funding, obtw) where the NG is seen as a welfare program. Some of the Southern and Northeastern states come to mind. Some of the soldiers I've met from there tend to be semi- to un-trained, and some admitted to getting paid without actually drilling. (800th MPs, anyone?)

I don't understand what you are trying to say with the General Honore comment. The Iowa Guard, where I come from, doesn't have a problem sending Infantry and CAV units to disaster relief. What kind of training do you think it takes at the unit level to respond to disasters? There is the 4 hour mandatory "stomp and drag" training that we did (or pencil-whipped) each year.

Your comment on maintenance is nonsense. Each state has full-time maintenance facilities for "maintaining thermal imaging/targeting systems" and other similarly complex systems. All it takes to maintain heavy armor is decent Company-level leadership that stresses PMCS.