Thread: Vintage COIN and Stability Doctrine - Links

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Vintage COIN and Stability Doctrine - Links

I am a strong believer in the concept of things moving in cycles. As an historical researcher, I delve into the past and often see parallels with modern goings-on, particularly when it comes to military operations.

I am not a participant in the GWOT or OIF so I am unable to contribute in any meaningful way to council discussions on current operations, but I am an interested observer and student of history with a bit of an idea of "on the ground" grunt and int. work. I wonder if some of the lessons of previous UW and COIN campaigns/ops have not been lost over time. Maybe those who have done similar things against a different adversary can offer some guidance to our policy makers and those on the sharp end.

I remember reading somewhere that OIF is kind of ike a weird mish-mash of Viet Nam and the US Occupation of Germany after WWII.

Below are some links to pdf downloads of vintage US Doctrine dealing with Stability and Support Operations, Civic Action, and COIN. I hope they are of some utility to the modern warfighter.

FM 31-16 Counterguerrilla Operations (182 pages) [25 July 1969]
    Part 1: Part 2:
    Part 3:
    Part 4:

USMC Fleet Marine Force Manual 8-2 Counterinsurgency Operations (200 pages) [22 December 1967]
    Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Part 3:
    Part 4:

Phung Hoang Advisor Handbook (36 pages) [20 November 1970]
    Download

FM 41-10 Civil Affairs Operations (183 pages) [03 August 1967]
    Part 1:
    Part 2:
    Part 3:
    Part 4:

FM 31-22: U.S. Army counterinsurgency forces, 1963