Via a "lurker" a viewpoint from someone at the "sharp end" conducting policing in a COIN environment:
I presume the requirement is for an officer attached to a unit in Iraq to assess the Policing Units, their officers and then presumably help them upgrade the skills. If it is so, and presuming that this is to be done in a insurgency prone area I would have following thoughts/ points for consideration:

1) Mission, scope, and accountability mechanism relevant for the unit: Territorial Law Enforcement Unit of the police (akin to a Police Station) will have a mission quite different from from Armed Police Unit responsible for a territory (Armed Outpost) for general area domination. Similarly a reserve police unit responsible for maintaining the logistics or installation security would have different mission and scope. According to their responsibilities the accountability of men and officers could be determined. I have not included pure intelligence unit of the police in this discussion.

2) As I understand, the policing in a insurgency area needs the following Knowledge/Skills/ competencies for all those involved:

- General knowledge of the area, people, customs, history
- Specific knowledge about the vulnerable spots, areas, timings
- Facility of local language
- Certain level of physical fitness, mental capacities
- Knowledge about the weapons prevalent with the force and the enemy
- Skills in handling of weapons and equipment including marksmanship and combat shooting
- Knowledge of Tactics used by the enemy, tactics of the Counter Insurgent, general knowledge about the Policy and Strategy of the higher command

In addition I suppose the leader should have following capacity:
- Ability to relate to team members
- Ability to plan and execute tasks
- Ability to learn on the job, and carry the learning to the force through briefing and training
- Talent spotting ability to identify competent deputies, trainers, niche skills
- Ability to promote, project and sustain team work
- Co-ordinate with other units to achieve unity of effort and inter-operability

Suitable measuring technique could be developed after ascertaining the Mission/Scope of the unit for which the exercise is to be conducted.