Page 85 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2664

Thread: Syria in 2016 (April-June)

Council Member

IS were able to reach the field hospital in #Mare town but were overwhelmed by #FSA

ISIS assaulting force is composed mainly of children from northern and eastern Aleppo towns

15 dead #IS-fighters & several captured- tried to storm #Mare town in northern #Aleppo

IS VBIED blown up near Mare3 before reaching target

Intense clashes are taking place on the periphery of Marea, where ISIS detonated 5 vehicle bombs in the early morning

Syria'n regime airstrikes hit several neighborhoods of #Aleppo city now

Rebels seized BMP from #IS during their assault on #Mare town in northern #Aleppo

#FSA continues battle against #IslamicState-offshoots in western #Daraa province
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGH92I4flk

Footage from yesterday shows battle btw #FSA & #IslamicState at highway to #Turkey border crossing

Rebels have retaken the village of Nada near Azaz in north rural #Aleppo from #ISIS
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Council Member

Aleppo Halab Ops Room commander Major Yasser Abdulrahim in anticipation of a major regime offensive declares general mobilization

Kurds are desperately trying to "walk back" their previous statements on Raqqa becoming part and parcel of a Kurdish federation after the capture of it....THAT after a number of blustering statements from them on the offensive against Raqqa....Raqqa is Arab Sunni and never has been Kurdish.

Salih Muslim denying Raqaa will be part of PYD federalism

Obama WH now has a "loose cannon proxy" in Syria that wants to create their own nation state with Obama supporting them....and he is actually going along with it.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrowBat View Post
    I suggest Mr. @OIRSpox to put a nice big US flag on his chest - and go fighting Daesh in Syria. Right now.
    Apparently Americans fighting with PYD/SDF have complained that Obama has already betrayed them.

What amazes me is that US SOF has not been fully made aware of the multiple political agendas being played now in Syria and the sensitivities of some of those players to a simple thing like a unit insignia..

BUT again many of those now in US SOF cannot be that well informed to the history of PKK over the last say 30 odd years and their close ties to the international communist national liberation movement.....as that was "long before their time"......

Council Member

IDP tents on fire on outskirts of Zakia in W. Ghouta, #Damascus after being targeted by Assad airstrikes last night

Reports of Russia/Assad airstrikes this AM on Zakat & Latamna in north rural #Hama

Assad barrel bombs also targeted today Sakhour, Masakin Hanano, Halak, Haidaryia, Bustan Basha, Ard al-Hamra, Jandoul & Ba’adin in #Aleppo

Russian airstrikes continue today on Kafrhamra, Hayan, Hraytan, Anadan & Asia area in #Aleppo

Council Member

CrowBat.....what do think of this.....is IS using child fighters to conserve their manpower....??

IS were able to reach the field hospital in #Mare town but were overwhelmed by #FSA

ISIS assaulting force is composed mainly of children from northern and eastern Aleppo towns

Also there was a comment yesterday that the suddenness of the IS attacks might have been due to sleeper cells being called into play....that were already in the towns taken over..

Council Member

HIZBOLLA: STOP BURYING FIGHTERS WHO DIED IN #HOMS IN DAHYE WITHOUT A PROPER FUNERAL. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO HIDE THE TRUTH.

Back in 2011, when Nasrallah was going on TV and absolutely denying he had any fighters in #Syria

"6000 mines surround the town of Madaya"

Council Member

Reference the early morning IS attack on Mare today......

So far #FSA killed 30+ #IS-attackers in early morning

There were something like 7-8 major Daesh attacks yesterday and today, all by its Halab Division, something like in the following order:

27 May, 2016

In the early hours of Saturday, 27 May, 2016, the 'Halab Division' of the Daesh launched a big offensive on wide front against the eastern side of Azaz pocket, in northern Aleppo province.

At first there were reports about the Daesh infiltrating Kfar Kalbin and Kaljibrin - with help of local sleeper cells. Then there were reports about heavy fighting in both of these places, followed by reports that the Daesh captured Tel Hussein, Niyarah, Tatiya and Burayshah.

Later during the morning, it turned out Daesh was in control of Kaljibrin, and already in the process of massacring any civilians and few insurgents it caught. Daesh subsequently released a video showing its nocturnal attack on Kfar Kalbin and Kaljibrin. Daesh's Amaq news agency photos of the loot from local insurgent ammo depots.

(Some of photos are showing inscriptions in cyrilic, apparently indicating ammo purchased from one of countries of former Yugoslavia [sources differ if from Croatia or from Serbia, but this is near-irrelevant: both are known to have been selling arms to different insurgent-supporters in recent years]).

Mare'a was thus cut off from Azaz.

There followed reports about Turkish artillery shelling villages captured by Daesh, and even the USAF fighter bombers flying air strikes against Daesh (Jenan Moussa was another source citing air strikes), foremost against Daesh in Kfar Kalbin. Correspondingly, the USAF should've started flying over the area already around the midnight, and flew one air strike at 06.00hrs in the morning, followed by another at 06.13hrs in the morning.

Around the noon, Daesh reportedly reached Bab as-Salameh border crossing with Turkey. This proved an exaggeration: insurgents blocked the Daesh advance in direction of Bab as-Salameh about 1km short of it, apparently with some effective support from Turkish artillery. Daesh then limited itself to shelling the area with BM-21s and mortars.

Sometimes around the noon or during the afternoon, the Daesh was then said to have reached the Cattle Market on the eastern entrance to Azaz. Around the same time, the MSF reported to have been forced to evacuate its hospital in as-Salamah.

The Daesh assault on eastern Azaz - precise timing of which remains unknown, though which might have been repeated the last night (27-28 May) - was apparently spoiled, and this morning insurgents claimed to have recaptured the village of Nadda, 2-3km east Azaz.

This attack (on Nadda) took place already within something like 'general counteroffensive' of insurgents, launched already during the afternoon of 27 May. This began with re-capture of Sandaf (first village north of Mare'a), yesterday around noon. Fighting for that place is still going on, nevertheless.

Elsewhere in Azaz Pocket, insurgents managed to recapture the village of Niyarah, already around the noon, and then Tatiyah, yesterday evening, as visible on this video.

''Azaz Pocket: Western side'

Amid a lot of PR- the YPG/PYD/SDF conglomerate announced yesterday, it is 'opening a humanitarian corridor' for civilians from the Azaz Pocket into the Efrin Enclave.

Actually, and opportunist as ever, the 'SPD' - i.e. YPG (which has two own brigades plus SDF's Jaysh at-Thuwar in the Efrin enclave) - attacked Sheikh Issa, yesterday, and then again this morning, and was said to have entered the place, today - apparently without any fight. Supposedly, the Sheikh Issa was empty - of civilians, but also of insurgents, all of whom went to fight the Daesh in Mare'a.

However, it turned out the YPG failed to capture Sheikh Issa, and then conditioned letting civilians evacuate Mare'a via Efrin enclave to Azaz if the insurgents would let it into the town. Apparently, left without the choice, insurgents accepted this offer, and the Kurdish ANAH news agency proudly reporting that 6124 civilians arrived in Efrin from Mare'a, around the noon local time (today).
    Last edited by CrowBat; 05-28-2016 at 01:09 PM.

28 May, 2016

After checking about a dozen of different maps, this one appears to be closest to what the situation on the ground should've been this morning.

This morning, the Daesh unleashed an all-out attack on Mare'a. This was reportedly initiated by no less but five VBIEDs (one of which was apparently knocked out before it reached its target), and is said to have reached the local hospital. There the insurgents managed to stop this attack, killing up to 30 KIA (about a dozen of these were visually confirmed so far, while two (both teenagers from Aleppo were captured.

Local sources are reporting 'fighters in high spirits' after their latest defensive success against the Daesh, but also confirmed that most of local population was evacuated to Azaz - via YPG-held Efrin enclave.

Another Daesh assault on Mare'a, once again led by a VBIED, was reported around the noon today, together with additional additional claims that the YPG seized Sheikh Issa.

Meanwhile, according to reports like this one preparations are underway for a counterattack from Azaz in southern direction, with intention of fully re-establishing the land connection to Mare'a.

Turkey is claiming its artillery and (US) air strikes to have killed 104 Daesh in two days of fighting.

US Military Operations

Despite claims about US air strikes from 27 May, these remained unconfirmed until this morning, when the CJTF-OIR reported exactly, 'three strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed seven ISIL fighting positions'.

Similarly, while a lot has been said about supposed 'US support' for some of insurgent groups operational inside the Azaz pocket, I've seen next to nothing of that, and consider availability of US-made weapons - or, more often, 'US-designed weapons manufactured somewhere abroad' - no confirmation for US support.

Nevertheless, the CENTCOM did fly additional air strikes this morning. For example, Jenan Moussa reported up to 10 additional air strikes - some of these by A-10 Thunderbolt IIs.

Furthermore, the US DoD is reporting a re-deployment of Grumman EA-6B Prowler electronic warfare aircraft of the VMAQ-4 to Incirlik AB in -Turkey and their operations against Daesh in northern Syria.

For better understanding of what the CENTCOM might use over Azaz pocket:

- USAF has 12 A-10s from the 75th FS at Incirlik, and now

- USMC has 4 EA-6Bs from VMAQ-4 there.

- Reports about either USAF's or CIA's UCAV ops from Incirlik AB are making circles since about a year, and it's quite sure that some of these are MQ-9 Reapers. But, I do not know what agency is operating them.

One of most surprising things about what happened in Azaz Pocket the last two days is the apparent 'non-appearance' of insurgents on their frontlines. At least there were very few of them early on. While the Daesh did release some photos showing up to about a dozen of insurgents - primarily local militia - 'killed in action' (KIA), there are next to no reports about losses: perhaps 10 were KIA in fighting for Kaljibrin, for example, while about 30 were claimed as captured by the Daesh - which seems to have infiltrated the area with help of their 'sleepers', and then attacked from behind.

Daesh subsequently published a number of photos of KIA insurgents. Several seem to be members of Fastaqam Kama Umrit (Stand Upright as Ordered) that recently joined Jaysh al-Mujahidden coalition (photos 10 and 14).

Regardless of infiltration and sleeper cells, the total insurgent force in the Azaz Pocket should be up to 10,000 combatants. Sure, many of them were new intakes, undergoing training etc., but most of commanders are highly experienced - especially from fighting Daesh (one shouldn't forget that the JAM for example, was created specifically with the aim of fighting Daesh, was the first to fight it and the first to defeat it - back in Janaury 2014, when it kicked the Daesh out of this part of Syria). They were also excellently supplied. So, they should not only have been 'everywhere' (up to 500 per every village there), but could not have possibly 'disappeared' just they way they appear to have. There are also no reports citing panic or flight of insurgents, regardless how tense the situation is.

However, after chatting with few people in Turkey, the story is emerging according to which a big part of insurgent force was recently withdrawn into Turkey, for rest, recuperation, and training, pending a 'planned big offensive on Jarablus' - all of this in 'big secrecy'.

But, if this is the case, then the the MIT (Turkish military intelligence) should've known that Daesh has got excellent intel and would have learned about such a move. I.e. if such a measure was taken and insurgents withdrawn into Turkey, regardless the reason, the Daesh learned about such a development and this offensive can thus be seen as a sort of pre-emptive attack.

That said, there is little doubt that plenty of well-equipped insurgent units - including a new (at least to me) appearance named 'Liwa ar-Ra'ad' - are streaming into the area since noon of 27 May. They seem to have been quite successful with first of their counterattacks. So, this might confirm their 'absence' too, at least early on.

Council Member

CrowBat....thanks for clearing a tad the "fog of war" on a difficult to track ground war with an ever shifting front.....especially woith at least six different players......

Council Member

Once a vassal of Muslim empires itself, Russia has always had a Middle Eastern vocation. My WSJ cover essay explains
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/russias-...ast-1464361067

Another YPG "reason" for not attacking IS......
    Commander of #SDF Raqqa Operation Rojda Felatl says they are cleaning ISIS landmines #YPG @VOANews

Putin threatens Romania, Poland, ready to make peace with Turkey - read on -
    http://uatoday.tv
    http://uatoday.tv/politics/putin-thr...ey-662858.html

Council Member

State Dept's Mark Toner denies YPG/PKK relationship. Astoundingly ridiculous.
    http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2016/05/257787.htm

QUESTION: Can we go to Syria?

MR TONER: Yeah.

QUESTION: Yesterday you didn’t address the question of the shoulder flashes that appear on the soldiers – U.S. soldiers who were photographed by AFP in northern Syria. Obviously we talked to the Pentagon about that, but now it’s become a diplomatic incident. The foreign minister of Turkey said some very strong words. He said that if American soldiers are going to be wearing YPG flashes, why don’t they just wear al-Qaida flashes or ISIS flashes? They’re all terrorists and you’re hypocrites for pretending otherwise. What’s your response?

MR TONER: So I’m going to stay in large part where it was yesterday, in that I’m not going to talk about or provide information about these specific photos, and the reason why – and I think Peter Cook also spoke to this, as you noted at the Pentagon – is that I’m not going to talk about where our Special Forces may be located at any given moment. We’ve said before they’ve been deployed to northern Syria to work with the Syrian Democratic Forces who are fighting there, but I can’t get into any specifics. It’s not in my purview, but also I don’t think it’s in the best interests of their operational security.

With respect to Turkey’s comments about these photos, we’ve been very clear from this podium and elsewhere, our belief that the YPG is not connected to the PKK, which we have designated as a foreign terrorist organization. On the contrary, we believe the YPG, as well as other forces in Syria, in northern Syria, are effectively taking the fight to ISIL and we’re going to continue to support them with our advise and assist operations there.

QUESTION: Well, when you say that PYG is not connected to the PKK, they don’t have any ties at all or you just don’t think they fall under the same command?

MR TONER: We have said that we believe they’re – and we hold to this – that we believe they are separate entities. I can’t rule out that there’s some connections. Look, I can’t – let me put it this way, David – I can’t categorically say that there’s not any connections, but we have made very clear that the YPG is a separate entity from the PKK with – is located geographically in a separate area in northern Syria and is, as we have said before, taking the fight to Daesh in northern Syria and is a very effective fighting force, I might add.

QUESTION: But some YP – PYG personnel have been PKK and vice versa. They train in each other’s camps. They have a similar ideology. They’re born from the same movement.

MR TONER: Again, I’m going to stay where I was.

QUESTION: Okay. And do you think this is a crisis in relations with Turkey?

MR TONER: No, look, we’ve been – we understand Turkey’s concerns, and let me make that clear. And we continue to discuss this as well as other concerns that Turkey has regarding Daesh and regarding issues in northern – concerning northern Syria. We’re going to continue to work through those, such as providing stronger border security as well as other aspects that we – where we feel we can strengthen the relationship with Turkey. But Turkey’s been a member of the anti-Daesh coalition, continues to be an active member, and we – we’re grateful for Turkey’s support.

I’ll get to you.

QUESTION: Same subject?

MR TONER: Are we a different subject or still Syria?

QUESTION: On that, on that very issue.

MR TONER: Okay.

QUESTION: You always say Turkey is an ally, a NATO member, and all that, but in this particular conflict --

MR TONER: Because they are.

QUESTION: -- in this particular conflict in Syria, is Turkey really an ally when they view America’s partner forces on the ground, the YPG, the patches of which U.S. troops are wearing on their uniforms right now, as terrorists? Doesn’t that suggest a huge difference in goals in this conflict?

MR TONER: No, it does not. Because the goal here is to destroy and degrade Daesh and remove them from the battlefield. Frankly, it’s a --

QUESTION: But isn’t YPG the same as --

MR TONER: Frankly, it’s a --

QUESTION: -- Daesh and al-Qaida, just like the Turkish foreign minister said?

MR TONER: It is a goal we share – but it’s a goal we share with all members of the ISSG; it’s a goal we share with all members of the anti-Daesh coalition. Now, are there disagreements among members of the coalition as to how we proceed and with whom we’re cooperating on the ground? I’m not going to say that there aren’t. And obviously, Turkey’s made very clear their feelings about the YPG. We have also been equally clear, while we understand Turkey’s concerns, that we’re going to continue to work with the YPG as a part of the overarching Syrian Democratic Forces. So the YPG is not the sole group that we’re working with on the ground. We’re working with Syrian Arabs, Syrian Turkmen, and other groups that are fighting Daesh.
    NOTICE not a single mention of FSA which has far more combat experience against IS and has beaten IS...than anything YG has currently done.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Additional points and updates:

- The Daesh is spending VBIEDs like there's no tomorrow in northern Aleppo: back in April, when insurgents took ar-Rai, the Daesh counterattacked with 30 of these - on the same day!

- Yesterday and today, over 20 VBIED attacks were counted (and over 50 the last week or so): it appears most are driven by 'kids', 10-15-years young indoctrinated kids from northern Aleppo province.

- There are still contradictive reports about who controls Sheikh Issa. One version is that the YPG is there to help extract civilians, but status of the FSyA is unclear. Another is that the YPG is 'simply' in control now.

- Latest Daesh attack on Mare'a was launched about two hours ago, this time starting with five VBIEDs, and from the south (well outside the range of even rocket-assisted Turkish artillery). 9 Daesh are said to have entered some houses there, and to have taken hostages.

Not a single air strike was reported from Mare'a area today.

Council Member

Aleppo 40+ residents killed yesterday in Kaljibrin by #IslamicState -followed by #US airstrikes after #IS took over town

Regime airstrikes on northern #Aleppo suburbs

NOW tell me the US intelligence community with all their ISR capabilities cannot find this IS VBIED factory...especially their improvised explosives manufacturing sites.....

IslamicState used ~50 VBIED against rebel held #Azaz/#Mare pocket the past weeks. Seems they have a big factory in northern #Aleppo
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Council Member

SyAA soldier with Iranian Toophan ATGM (BGM-71 TOW copy) today, likely in Aleppo

About 20 barrel bombs and 10 airstrikes have hit Aleppo city and northern suburbs

IS shelled #Gaziantep airport by 2 rockets one of them exploded
    No report about casualties

Situation between #Azaz and #Marea right now.
    Rebel counteroffensive was tiny & regained only 4 villages

(failed) #IslamicState-assault on border-crossing shows
    no hope for intervention by #Turkey army against #IS

Big news (really not since they're working in pincer movement) from #Azaz/Marea is how Daesh & YPG are taking Opp territory from both sides.

Assad rocket attack on Haidariya in #Aleppo now, civilian casualties reported

Assad Regime & Allies Kill Over 3,000 #Syria-ns in 90 Days since #CoH Truce Agreed
    http://ow.ly/ZKtx300EYF9

Ghouta: More Assad regime fighters killed in Deir Khobya

Hama: Syrian Rebels capture 5 Assad regime fighters in Faroro
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Council Member

Appears Shia fighters and their officers are getting killed as fast in Iraq as they are in Syria....

Sectarian Shia leader in Ashura Militia Dawud Zarouk Sa'idi killed in Fallujah

General in sectarian Shia Hashd militia Aziz Majid killed in Fallujah

...it seems that Russians have re-deployed Su-25s to Syria again.

At least it is said that the one below was spotted over Kfar Hamra today.

If so, that's 'perfectly in line' with news from Moscow yesterday, according to which, The Russian Parliament's Defense Committee has asked President Vladimir Putin to Annihilate Jabhat Al Nusra in Syria and to do so unilaterally.

Now, considering this was the result of a 'cease-fire' - Assad Regime & Allies Kill Over 3,000 Syrians in 90 Days since Truce Agreed - everybody is free to imagine what's going to happen as next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

Footage
    Russian jets w/multiple air strikes on civilians in #Huraytan today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9glH3qCIvVk

News
    Turkey say it hit #ISIS with 223 artillery rounds and 40 rockets yday + 11 US air strikes hit the terrorists.
    Didn't help much though.

Footage
    New regime offensive in #Hama?
    Su-24 bomb Kafr Zita, Al-Lataminah&more since yday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saj1LT8xJRM

Footage
    The #Assad regime dropped barrel bombs on #KafrHamra this morning.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKdnYhW6k6Y

Footage
    Women and children in #KafrNabl block road, protest arrest of relatives by #Nusra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXxw5t4FEJ8

Idlib : Angry locals set on fire a #Nusra and a Ahrar Sham checkpoint in #Ras_Maasara after Nusra arrested a young man from the town.

Rebels regained control of #Naddah just east of #Azaz last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vORBHWi7kI

MSF's Al Salamah hospital in #Syria received 14 more patients today. Situation calmer as frontline with IS established at 6 km

Fire was caused by rebel mortar attack. Fuel tank hit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAzjfx5_lA
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Council Member

Alleged video of alleged Turkish tanks and machinery inside Rojava between Hamam & Marwan vlgs SW of Afrin

The doctors of @sams_usa had sleepless night treating victims of #ISIS attack in #Maree

Reports Mansoura in Sahl al-Ghab in south rural #Hama is under rocket attack by Assad forces in Jorin camp (same ol' same ol') #Syria

Heavy clashes between rebels & regime forces trying to break into #Daraya again under artillery & rocket fire. #Damascus

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    State Dept's Mark Toner denies YPG/PKK relationship. Astoundingly ridiculous.
    http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2016/05/257787.htm
    http://www.dailysabah.com/war-on-ter...r-organization

Archives, testimonies confirm PYD/YPG's organic link with PKK terror organization

RAGIP SOYLU

WASHINGTON, D.C.

February 19, 2016

Although links between the PKK and PYD have been deliberately disregarded by some, especially Washington, archives and testimonies show contrary evidence that in terms of leadership, ideology and militant activities

The Syrian Kurdish group Democratic Union Party (PYD) has seized the northern parts of Syria after forces loyal to President Bashar Assad abruptly abandoned Kurdish cities in 2012. Since then, Turkey has claimed that there was a solid link between the PYD and the Northern Iraq-based radical Kurdish nationalist PKK, recognized as a terrorist group by Turkey as well as Western countries.

Although the connection between the two parties has been established as a fact within many academic circles, Turkey's NATO ally the U.S., currently refuses to recognize that connection and claims that despite their ideological similarity, the groups have separate decision-making processes and that there is no organic attachment between them. The U.S. officially designated the PKK as a foreign terrorist organization in 1997, but for reasons associated with the struggle against DAESH, the U.S. is willing to work with the PYD.

A report published by the Atlantic Council has detailed the widespread presence of Turkish citizens in the ranks of the PYD's armed wing, the People's Protection Units (YPG). Casualty data from the YPG compiled through open sources confirms links between the YPG and the PKK. Kurds from Turkey total roughly 50 percent of Kurdish casualties between 2013 and 2016.

Salih Muslim, the current chairman of the PYD, has also implicitly accepted that there were hundreds of PKK militants in the ranks of the YPG. "It is quite natural for a Kurd who was formerly one of the [PKK] fighters in the mountains to defend his home" Muslim told the London-based Al-Quds Al-Arabi newspaper last month.

But this information is not enough to reach a conclusion in the eyes of American officials as well as other commentators who are sympathetic to the PYD's cause in Syria.

This is why we decided to investigate the PYD-PKK connection in the PKK archives, past news stories and testimonies. We found strong organic links between the two organizations.

The PYD's foundation: The PKK's direct role

The Kurdish insurgent group PKK, established in 1978 by Abdullah Öcalan and headquartered in Syria from 1979 to 1998, was forced to leave Syria after Turkey threatened war against Hafez al-Assad's Syrian regime, which was providing logistics and training for the Kurdish militants. Many accounts suggest that a new party had to be founded after this development, since the PKK still had strong support in the country's north.

Syrian Kurds had a presence in the PKK's ranks as well, and they are generally referred to as "undocumented" by the Turkish authorities, since the Syrian regime didn't recognize them as Syrian citizens. Research carried out in 2007 by James Brandon of the Jamestown Foundation suggests that twenty percent of PKK militants were Syrian nationals.

The PKK's official magazine, Serxwebûn, (Independence), mentions the name of the PYD for the first time in its May 2002 issue where the documents of the PKK's 8th General Congress were compiled.

The Political-Practical Working Report, prepared for the 8th PKK Congress, underlined the absence of a political party in Syria that can defend the rights of Kurds in the country. The report suggested that PKK needed to establish a political arm in Syria as follows,

"Our Congress should make assignment and create a Democratic Union Movement of Syria or Democratic Union Party, and support it as part of our movement in upcoming days."

Osman Öcalan, the younger brother of the imprisoned founder of the PKK, Abdullah Öcalan, and also a senior PKK commander at the time, said that he founded the PYD in 2003.

He stated in an interview with Iraqi television Zelal in 2013 that, "I founded the PYD, as I did PJAK (the PKK's Iranian arm). We did not use the word "Kurdistan" in the party's title since we did not want to provoke the Syrian regime. The PYD is connected to the PKK, and acts upon on PKK orders."

In a separate interview given to the Turkish daily Yeni Akit, Osman Öcalan said that the PKK decided to establish the PYD while bearing in mind a possible US intervention in the region. "We held the first general PYD congress in October 2003. We trained the cadres."

2003 was an important year for the PKK. Following his 1999 arrest by the Turkish authorities, Öcalan tried to redesign the party based on an "updated" philosophy that ended the organization's demands for independence and instead prioritized a confederated struggle within the existing states of Iran, Turkey and Syria. The PKK changed its name after a congress in November 2003, and established the "People's Congress of Kurdistan," or Kongra-Gel. The PKK's armed wing, the People's Defense Forces (HPG), which has been operating since 2000, preserved the previous organizational scheme and continued its operations without regard to the PKK's name change.

Turkish newspapers reported the establishment of the PYD in May 2004, referencing unnamed Turkish officials. The Cumhuriyet daily said that the PYD was founded to shield the PKK/Kongra Gel's illegal activities in the region. It said the riots in Syria's Qamishli village, which occurred in March 2004, "were provoked" by 2,000 PKK militants.

Official PKK websites and magazines depict the establishment of the PYD in detail. For example, an undated article published by Zaxo Şiyar on the PKK's women's branch, the Kurdistan Women's Freedom Party's (PAJK) website, says that the PKK's leadership decided to establish individual parties separately in every region of Kurdistan. The article, which also appeared on the PKK's Arabic website, depicts the PKK's psychology after its forced exit from Syria and subsequent arrest of Öcalan:

The Syrian state was planning to destroy the remaining party cadres since the leadership was dispersed. The PYD party was established under the shadow of these liquidation operations in the four parts of Kurdistan. The PYD was the first party in southwestern Kurdistan, and tried to create its own perspective.

The four original PYD founders were PKK militants

There is no doubt that PKK militants were the PYD's original founders, because its current leadership still commemorates the five founders, who were members of the PKK's armed wing the HPG, and were later assassinated in Iraq's Mosul.

Following the Syrian regime's 2004 crackdown in northern Syria against the PYD, the party's political committee decided to move to Northern Iraq to review their strategy: namely Şilan Kobani (Meysa Baqi), Zekeriya (Zekeriya İbrahim), Fuat (Hikmet Tokmak), Cemil (Nebo Ali) and Ciwan (Hacı Cuma Ali).

PYD militant Şilan Kobani (CR) with seen next to the imprisoned PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan (R).PYD militant Şilan Kobani (CR) with seen next to the imprisoned PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan (R).

The PKK's official magazine Serxwebûn describes the aim of the committee in an article dated November 2006:

A group of comrades were assigned to re-construct our democratic struggle in south-west Kurdistan. Comrades Şilan, Fuat, Zekeriya Ciwan and Cemil were chosen to do this task. These comrades, who were martyred in Mosul on November 29, 2004, would take a memorable place in the history of the Apoist (Abdullah Öcalan) movement.

In another article published in February 2007, the magazine explains that,

Şilan's formal area of work was Syria but Syrian state was looking for her, this is why it was better for her to perform her work in Iraq. She was coordinating the PYD tasks from Iraq. This area was formerly belonging to our leadership (Abdullah Öcalan) and for Syria and Turkey it was important to take over this territory to weaken the PKK. Our enemy thought "if we weaken the PKK in southwest Kurdistan, then they would weakened everywhere. Comrade Şilan played a vital role to expand PYD as an organization. This is how the PYD survived.

PYD Commemorates Fallen Founders

The PYD officially recognizes its fallen members and regularly commemorates the date they died. For example, according to pro-PYD Kurdish news agency ANHA, the PYD last year issued a statement in which it commemorated its former founders, who were "martyred" by "a conspiracy" on November 29, 2004.

The statement says that the construction of social revolution in Syria was possible thanks to these leaders, especially Şilan Kobani, also known as Meysa Baqi.

Şilan Kobani, who joined the PKK in 1998, has a special place in the PKK's cadres. The PKK's official websites and magazines have published multiple articles and interviews in memory of her.

The PKK also declared her a symbol for new PKK cadres in its" Remodeling Congress" held in 2005.

The PKK's armed wing HPG lists Şilan Kobani (Meysa Baqi), Zekeriya (Zekeriya İbrahim), Fuat (Hikmet Tokmak), Cemil (Nebo Ali) and Ciwan (Hacı Cuma Ali) among their 2004 martyrs.

Turkish newspaper Milliyet, confirming the PYD leaders' membership in the PKK, reported that five senior PKK/Kongra-Gel commanders were assassinated in Mosul's Shingal.

The PYD is today connected to the PKK in a framework, a supreme body called the KCK that supervises the associated organizations created by Abdullah Öcalan while he was looking for new ways to increase his outreach across Kurdistan.