Thread: Mass shooting(s) after Orlando (amended title)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WFTV ch 9 local news in Orlando has video of Muslims teaching death to gays in local Mosques!

Council Member

Assuming this Muslim leader is legitimate, his road just got a lot tougher. Both links below reference Muslims in Orlando prior to these attacks in a relatively positive light. The property dispute appears to be little more than keeping residential property residential. I suspect the tone will change now, further dividing Americans. This is ultimately part of Al-Qaeda's and Islamic State's strategy, they know they are not strong enough to defeat a state in direct combat with their security forces, so they seek to conduct attacks in ways that turn different groups against one another. It doesn't matter if Shia versus Sunni, Muslim versus Christian, or whatever group against gays. It is these second order effects after the terrorist attacks that destroy countries by dividing them. We can't afford to let that happen.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/musli...sson-/20245443

Muslim leaders invite Trump to Orlando mosque for lesson on Islam

Wajeeh Bajwa, president of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community’s Orlando chapter, said Islam orders Muslims to be loyal to the country they live in.

"Originally, I'm from Pakistan,” Bajwa said. “But my loyalties are with America, because I'm an American now."

Orlando’s Baitul-Aafiyat Mosque hosted a blood drive Saturday afternoon, which was followed by a prayer vigil for the victims of the California massacre.
    http://www.wftv.com/news/local/resid...road/157151636

Residents fight mosque plan on Windermere Road March 16

“This is still our little piece of paradise here,” she said, adding that her home is remote enough to keep her horse, Napoleon, in her back yard.

Any large facility would take away from what makes the area a great place to live, Maurer said.

The fact that it’s a mosque has nothing to do with it, she said.

Council Member

A nice tweet I saw today (From Jeffery Goldberg)

This needs to be reiterated: Orlando massacre can be about Islamism, access to guns, homophobia and mental illness, all at the same time

I do wish Obama had said something negative about Jihadism directly, if nothing else then as a tactical matter... He means well, but he is not helping Muslims, he is helping Trump and giving an opening to demagogues during what is an otherwise sane and measured response.

Tho come to think of it, a sane response should probably include real action against Raqqah. Discrediting the Islamic state may have a negative impact on wannabe jihadis at this time.
    Though it may encourage others to attack.
    I have to think this through clearly.

Default Six things Americans should know about mass shootings

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    An American academic writes, with pie charts etc:
    I couldn't get past Bullet Point #1 without the bull#### flag being thrown.

1) Some of the sources he cites for 'mass shootings in America' happen to include drug business slaughterfests, and the conjurists of these statistics consider anyone under 25 to be "children". But hey, don't look behind that curtain - it contradicts what you're supposed to conclude.

2) He fails to point out that, by Florida law, Concealed License carriers are not allowed to take their weapons into areas where alcohol is the primary attraction. Therefore, all those potential elements of defense had to be left home.

3) He also fails to point out that the murderer was already vetted to be a Security Guard - this is always an element of 'sensible gun legislation' (that only certain types of 'approved' people should be allowed to bear weapons).

Ooops.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 06-15-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Kan't spill werds. fix quote.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail

http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

Default Wife May Be Involved

Link to latest about suspects wife.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gun...cid=spartandhp

Default Why?

Peter Bergen has an op-ed in the NYT which starts with:
    AFTER a terrorist attack like the one in Florida on Sunday, one of the first questions people always ask is: Why? Why would someone take the lives of innocent civilians who are total strangers? That is a question to which I have long sought an answer. But my search has led me instead to another question: Is an answer even possible?
    He ends with:
    No doubt we will learn more in coming days. But it’s unlikely that anything will ever really explain why he did what he did. Perhaps that says something about the nature of evil, — that it is ultimately not fully explicable. Even the perpetrators themselves can never really articulate “Why?” in any meaningful way.
    Link:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/opinion/why-do-terrorists-commit-terrorism.html?

After recent reporting, notably that the murderer had been inside the venue many times before and the incoherent views expressed I am less inclined to think this attack was really Jihadist.
    davidbfpo