Thread: English Qur'an: Which translations are best?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I learned in Iraq, you need to be careful with this. A non-believer possesing the Koran is a touchy subject with many Muslims (and not just the AQ crew). There is version I have printed out of Pkaistan that is pretty good, it is kind of like a gideons Bible publishing crew.

SWJED - Different translation. The one CAIR is putting out is the Asad one, not the Yusuf Ali one with the Saudi commentary.

Default "The Meaning of the Glorious Qur'an"

The Saudis have handed out a translation for decades that is quite good, especially because it offers English juxtaposed with the Arabic. the proper title is "The meaning of the Glorious Qur'an" by Abdullah Yusuf Ali in 2 Volumes.

But again note it is not billed as "The Qur'an." CGSC at Leavenworth when I was on faculty had a Muslim prayer room just around the corner from the history office. an Egyptian Captain who amassed an amazing track record of run ins with MPs, female soldiers, and generalized mayhem, set the prayer room on fire when he found one of these in there for use as "The Quran". he was sent home soon afterward.

Tom