Thread: The Trump impact on US policy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think I understand your argument (but probably don't). My guess (or hope) is that, 50 years from now when historians look back at the collapse of American Democracy, they will see that it started in the 1970's. Young children at that time witnessed a President resign in disgrace after being involved in a criminal cover-up. They were told that America was exceptional and their children would live better than they did, but that is not what happened. If they were part of the white, Christian majority they came expect certain social norms and personal privileges, all of which were challenged by the spread of Liberal ideals and the election of a black president. For example, more Americans see the "End Times" as near because of Gay Marriage than other, more rational threats like Russia or even Islam. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/....04df025ec632; http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-...imes-are-right). They were told that trade deals like NAFTA would bring prosperity, but all they saw were jobs departing for Mexico. All of this led to a disillusionment with the systems as it existed. That disillusionment resulted in a shift in value emphasis away from liberalism and towards nationalism. Trump was the beneficiary of that value shift.

I don't see that Islam had any great affect on what I just described. But I am only talking about America. I would have to do a separate analysis for other countries, but I assume much of the same factors come into play. In Europe you could certainly make the argument that the refugees, who were refusing to assimilate, along with terrorist attacks, had a greater impact. In the US, that impact was replicated by the Mexicans crossing the boarder and killing pour, innocent white women.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 12-09-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

... of course, when they write that history of the collapse of American Democracy, they will be writing in it Cyrillic.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---