Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Trump impact on US policy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

This source has been highly accurate in the past reporting...

The U.S. Marshals Service presented a plan to a senior Justice Department official yesterday for the service of warrants in the Trump-Russia inquiry, separate sources with links to the intelligence and law enforcement communities report.

The extensive plan was approved yesterday by a senior Justice Department official who is closely involved in prosecuting the case.

Sources say that the extensive plan, multiple pages in length, covered not only the serving of warrants, but logistical arrangements such as the closure of streets, if necessary.

They further report that while timing is uncertain, such plans are normally only presented and approved when arrests are imminent.

Patribotics knows the identity of the senior justice official who approved the plan, and the court in which it was approved. We are redacting that information for now.

Edited:
    I want to acknowledge the following tweets by Claude Taylor made last night. My sources support his sources (and go further). He has asked me to reproduce them exactly as written.
    1. Followers know I’ve tried to avoid an exact timeline as to when to expect arrests. I’m now receiving word that it may be soon. Here’s why
    2. In order to avoid any possible misinterpretation, I’m going to give exact word for word quote of what I was told. “Rumor has it the AUSA
    3. has signed off on the tactical & logistical plan to take numerous subjects into custody”. That’s it. Word for word.
    BREAKING: AP Source: CIA director to brief House intel committee Tuesday on Trump sharing classified information with Russians.

BUT is there more to this briefing as he did not offer to take it to the Senate????
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-16-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    The upcoming NATO meeting will be all about the weather and where are the best places to eat and what tour one will take...ISIS what the heck is that...Syria not sure where that is exactly....Putin who......?

The Latest: Kremlin calls reports that Trump shared classified info "nonsense," Top German lawmaker expresses alarm.
    http://apne.ws/2pG3EF3

realDonaldTrump
    I have been asking Director Comey & others, from the beginning of my administration, to find the LEAKERS in the intelligence community.....

NOW this has just become a one heck of a major farce....
    WH/NSC spokesman Mike Anton emphatically denies that Pres Trump's tweets today confirm disclosure of classified material to Russia.

WaPo reports Trump's team wanted "full transcript" of mtg w Russians ltd to small grp to contain intel leak. Sure sounds like there r tapes

SO who decided within the USG IC that determined this had happened and how did they know about the meeting....
    Because it was a breach that could cost people who trust the United States their lives.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...N18B2MX?il=0#…

NOW Fox News in supporting Trumps right to disclose highly classified CODE WORD intel to Russia "quotes the spokesperson for the Russian FM"....

BREAKING: Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman denies reports that Trump revealed classified information to senior officials.

Trump and Putin really do need to get their tweets on the same sheet of music.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-16-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Council Member

Sr. German lawmaker: If Trump passes intel to others "Trump becomes a security risk for the entire western world."
    http://apne.ws/2pGt7hs#

Middle East allies at physical and political risk from Trump leak
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...=share_btn_tw#
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-16-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Council Member

Jordan most likely provided the intelligence (re: WaPo report). here's my Oct. 2014 @NRO -
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ate-tom-rogan#

Public support for impeaching Trump (48%) has now surpassed Nixon's impeachment #'s 16 mos. after Watergate break-in (10/73).
    via @ppppolls

Council Member

The Associated Press‏
    BREAKING: European official to AP: Country might stop sharing intel with US if Trump gave classified info to Russian diplomats.

Council Member

If this is true and it comes from Trump's own NSA so it must be.....

McMaster said Trump wasn't aware of the source of the intelligence he gave to Russia. And he shared it unplanned, so winging it.

McMaster tap danced with the best of them just now.....he elegantly kept deflecting the main premise of the Wapo article...that in fact highly classified critical ally intel was given to the Russians with Trump not even understanding just how critical it was....

He kept going back and stating no methods and procedures were revealed.....BUT was never mentioned by the Wapo article....

Stunning comment by McMaster: Pay no attention to the sharing sensitive intelligence with the Russians; the scandal is the leaks.

THIS is a blatant lie on the part of the NSA...
    McMaster says the information President Trump shared is “nothing you would not know from open-source reporting”

OSINT does not include CODE WORD TS/SCI/SAP information....

McMaster briefing appeared to be cut short after press aide entered room with note.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-16-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Council Member

Default To OUTLAW 09 RE: Syria

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09
    Azor...so now will you finally stop defending Trump and his failed Syrian policies as there are none....+

Azor...now tell me that this US President does not have some serious issues..
    Outlaw,

I am not defending Trump, nor have I identified any major differences in policy on Syria from Obama, other than perhaps more aggression.

Please stay on-topic and get off your soapbox.

The details of the alleged secret intelligence leak seem to revolve around Daesh plots to bring down airliners using laptops, which has already been a focus of various laptop bans. As usual with the Washington Post, we must rely upon anonymous diplomatic and intelligence sources (serving and not), from the same communities that endorsed Trump's rival and which have continued to attempt to de-legitimize his election victory.

You never questioned why Steele would burn his sources with the "Piss Dossier" and yet here you are rumor-mongering like a jealous villager at a witchcraft trial...Of course, the dossier has been forgotten and the conspiracy now centers upon Flynn and this, which are very, very different accusations.

By now, you should probably be aware that few here probably believe that you are merely a principled private citizen, whether of the US, EU or both.

You have shamelessly pitched every single initiative that the Trans-Atlantic establishment has come up with, whether to be more muscular in Ukraine and Syria, to more confrontational with Iran (conveniently avoiding the issue of the JCPOA), to keeping the EU together at all costs, to demanding more US commitment to Europe while conveniently ignoring the unpopular 2% target. Now that the establishment has decided to follow the anti-Obama playbook (smearing him as a crypto-Muslim foreign-born anti-American), you have jumped in with both feet.

I don't mind if you want to be a one-man botnet for the most vain and venal woman to go for power since Jiang Qing, just knock off the hot air.

We were told for more than a decade that the cyber-realm belonged to Russian and Chinese hackers, and that the Iranians, North Koreans and others were formidable as well. Then of course we learned that the NSA had hacked the planet, and was listening in at the Zhongnanhai; that the NSA could cause a centrifuge to self-destruct; and that no U.S. ally or neutral was immune from eavesdropping. But how else to keep secrets in an open and free society than to play down one's strengths, play up the enemy's strengths and otherwise disinform?

Quite frankly, I think the U.S. has as much catching-up to do in the cyber realm as it did with the Bomber and Missile Gaps, and your prolific commentary is attached to "Exhibit A".

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Azor View Post
    Outlaw,

I am not defending Trump, nor have I identified any major differences in policy on Syria from Obama, other than perhaps more aggression.

Please stay on-topic and get off your soapbox.

The details of the alleged secret intelligence leak seem to revolve around Daesh plots to bring down airliners using laptops, which has already been a focus of various laptop bans. As usual with the Washington Post, we must rely upon anonymous diplomatic and intelligence sources (serving and not), from the same communities that endorsed Trump's rival and which have continued to attempt to de-legitimize his election victory.

You never questioned why Steele would burn his sources with the "Piss Dossier" and yet here you are rumor-mongering like a jealous villager at a witchcraft trial...Of course, the dossier has been forgotten and the conspiracy now centers upon Flynn and this, which are very, very different accusations.

By now, you should probably be aware that few here probably believe that you are merely a principled private citizen, whether of the US, EU or both.

You have shamelessly pitched every single initiative that the Trans-Atlantic establishment has come up with, whether to be more muscular in Ukraine and Syria, to more confrontational with Iran (conveniently avoiding the issue of the JCPOA), to keeping the EU together at all costs, to demanding more US commitment to Europe while conveniently ignoring the unpopular 2% target. Now that the establishment has decided to follow the anti-Obama playbook (smearing him as a crypto-Muslim foreign-born anti-American), you have jumped in with both feet.

I don't mind if you want to be a one-man botnet for the most vain and venal woman to go for power since Jiang Qing, just knock off the hot air.

We were told for more than a decade that the cyber-realm belonged to Russian and Chinese hackers, and that the Iranians, North Koreans and others were formidable as well. Then of course we learned that the NSA had hacked the planet, and was listening in at the Zhongnanhai; that the NSA could cause a centrifuge to self-destruct; and that no U.S. ally or neutral was immune from eavesdropping. But how else to keep secrets in an open and free society than to play down one's strengths, play up the enemy's strengths and otherwise disinform?

Quite frankly, I think the U.S. has as much catching-up to do in the cyber realm as it did with the Bomber and Missile Gaps, and your prolific commentary is attached to "Exhibit A".
    1. Steele did not burn his sources

2. Trump burned critical intel provided by field agents of a intel agency friendly to the US

NO one has the right President or no President...NO right to reveal CODE WORD information as then you are explicitly putting that field agent in serious danger of being killed....

EXHIBIT A....

The New York Times‏
    Verifizierter Account
    #@nytimes 10 Std.
    Breaking News: Israel provided the intelligence that President Trump shared with Russia, officials said

German intel types I spoke to yesterday are in fact now throttling back IS info to the US out of fear that Trump "leaks" it and it comes from their field agents as well...

Thank you for revealing your solid alt right opinions....have known they were there for awhile but you hide them nicely behind text book supported answers....looking like a true academic which you are not....

Sometimes accepting what others who in fact have true ground reality have to say which is not the standard publicly info flow should be listened to especially by those that do not have true ground reality...
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-17-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Council Member

Default To Outlaw 09 RE: Syria

1. Steele did not burn his sources
    On the contrary, weren't you reporting that more than one had been assassinated or otherwise died in mysterious circumstances? The Russian kompromat story has quietly vanished from the news cycle despite its staggering importance if true. Now, it is about Flynn and obstruction of justice...

2. Trump burned critical intel provided by field agents of a intel agency friendly to the US...

EXHIBIT A....

The New York Times‏
    Since when has the Gray Lady exhibited anything other than antipathy for Trump's candidacy and presidency? If the secret intelligence is so critical to inter-agency cooperation, how could the Times be given any evidence to verify this story, even if it chose not to publish all of the details?

Logic, mi amigo: logic.

German intel types I spoke to yesterday are in fact now throttling back IS info to the US out of fear that Trump "leaks" it and it comes from their field agents as well...
    So if the Germans withhold intelligence on a Daesh operative who kills or injures U.S. citizens, they will blame Trump and hope that Berlin isn't leveled again? Is that it?

Aren't German intelligence officers busy in Iraq and Syria trying to determine which ex-Daesh members from liberated areas are trying to blend in with the migratory flows to Europe? The Iraqi courts admittedly are giving most young men a pass as there is little evidence to charge them.

You do realize that you're trying to act as a corroborating source for the report on the German lawmaker who suggested a moratorium on intelligence sharing, right? Between running a cyber-security firm, traipsing around Brandenburg, meeting with all manner of insiders and posting on SWC/SWJ, when do you sleep?

By the way, I have a question for your friends at German intelligence: do they still keep in touch with their adopted freedom fighters in Kosovo? Or are narcotics, human and organ trafficking not as interesting as national liberation? Between the ~10,000 PKK operatives in Germany and the ~10,000 MIT officers/Grey Wolves, whose side do they fall on?

Thank you for revealing your solid alt right opinions....have known they were there for awhile but you hide them nicely behind text book supported answers....looking like a true academic which you are not....

Sometimes accepting what others who in fact have true ground reality have to say which is not the standard publicly info flow should be listened to especially by those that do not have true ground reality...
    If writing in coherent sentences with proper punctuation, spelling and grammar count as "true academic", then the bar must have been lowered since I last stalked the halls of higher education.

So, any person that is not breathlessly in favor of your Progressivist and Supranational vision of the future is "sold alt right"?

You seem to share Putin's opinion that democracy should be managed. Between Brexit and the EU's tough road ahead, perhaps there is a case to be made for integration of the Anglosphere. It would be lovely to see those countries - where true liberal democracy is not a passing fashion, a means to a collective end, or imposed with strategic bombing - try their hand at an alternative bloc.

Council Member

On the contrary, weren't you reporting that more than one had been assassinated or otherwise died in mysterious circumstances? The Russian kompromat story has quietly vanished from the news cycle despite its staggering importance if true. Now, it is about Flynn and obstruction of justice...

Since when has the Gray Lady exhibited anything other than antipathy for Trump's candidacy and presidency? If the secret intelligence is so critical to inter-agency cooperation, how could the Times be given any evidence to verify this story, even if it chose not to publish all of the details?

So if the Germans withhold intelligence on a Daesh operative who kills or injures U.S. citizens, they will blame Trump and hope that Berlin isn't leveled again? Is that it?

Aren't German intelligence officers busy in Iraq and Syria trying to determine which ex-Daesh members from liberated areas are trying to blend in with the migratory flows to Europe? The Iraqi courts admittedly are giving most young men a pass as there is little evidence to charge them.

You do realize that you're trying to act as a corroborating source for the report on the German lawmaker who suggested a moratorium on intelligence sharing, right? Between running a cyber-security firm, traipsing around Brandenburg, meeting with all manner of insiders and posting on SWC/SWJ, when do you sleep?

By the way, I have a question for your friends at German intelligence: do they still keep in touch with their adopted freedom fighters in Kosovo? Or are narcotics, human and organ trafficking not as interesting as national liberation? Between the ~10,000 PKK operatives in Germany and the ~10,000 MIT officers/Grey Wolves, whose side do they fall on?

If writing in coherent sentences with proper punctuation, spelling and grammar count as "true academic", then the bar must have been lowered since I last stalked the halls of higher education.

So, any person that is not breathlessly in favor of your Progressivist and Supranational vision of the future is "sold alt right"?

You seem to share Putin's opinion that democracy should be managed. Between Brexit and the EU's tough road ahead, perhaps there is a case to be made for integration of the Anglosphere. It would be lovely to see those countries - where true liberal democracy is not a passing fashion, a means to a collective end, or imposed with strategic bombing - try their hand at an alternative bloc.
    Vladimir Putin says he can give record of the conversation between Donald Trump and Sergei Lavrov to the U.S. senate and congress insists NO classified information was given to Lavrov.....

APPEARS Putin is lying again as normal......

Well this is a pretty startling detail
    http://nbcnews.to/2pWTawg#

Council Member

Azor...when you have alot of time as ones and zeros are working their magic on a test run...then you have time for this...beside it allows one alot of time to research social engineering in order to understand hackers or and Russian propaganda

You fail to realize just how many true "Grey Beards" are still in the game in this area....and one cannot dismiss years of ground reality experience in this field and related fields...

Besides you might be surprised who these days are working cyber security...

Lastly if you are reading the Russian cyber thread you will see a number of posts on US proTrump alt right white nationalists who are openly supporting European white nationalists and or neo Nazi's.....AND tying into the Russian info war machine as well....

NOW drop back to the year 1986 when I was asked by German intelligence to check with US intelligence and see if they could assist the Germans in tracking 14M USDs that had been flowing into Germany and into neo Nazi bank accounts..FROM US banks.....they gave me the print out weighting in those days about two pounds of paper records...

And it was passed on....response from the USG IC...we cannot provide anything due to privacy issues....14M USDs....and that every six to nine months....AND all from US neo Nazi sources...THIS was 1986....

REMEMBER intel exchanges are sometimes built on trust and the willingness to share and the US is known even today to not be great "sharers".....

BTW in that same year approximately 6 TONS of Nazi propaganda had flowed into Germany and was seized and destroyed.....

ALL from Lincoln Nebraska.....home of who????
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-17-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Council Member

Azor...you tend to forget that I have been in both the IT security and intel business for more than 51 years and when you have been ever strip searched by the GDR Stasi on a border crossing...then you tend to view the world not through rose colored glasses...and one knows how to balance the day to day....and when one works and lives overseas for more than 30 years you tend to have a far different view of the world than those living in the US.....my cat has her own pet passport and it has more country stamps in it than most Americans have ever visited as tourists...
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-18-2017 at 06:07 AM.

Council Member

Aztor...so are you finally willing to admit that just maybe rump and a large number of his associates are either going to jail and or "fleeing to Moscow"????

]NBC News: Officials say multiple grand jury subpoenas & records requests have been issued in connection with the 2 men in the past 6 months

If the SWJ Moderator had not been removing my comments on these events you would have known that FINALLY MSM is picking up what social media has been reporting on for over FIVE months

Three Grand Juries....minimum of 24 max of 71 sealed indictments and one FBI raid already on a GOP Consulting Company with ties to Manafort Ukraine and Russia....

Arrest warrants have been issued and now a Special Prosecutor named...

So Steel was wrong???

IMHO I do not care who is elected..just do not be a traitor and collude with Russia regardless of how much money Putin throws at you....at least Obama did not do that....

Source with ties to Rosenstein says he has been planning to appoint Special Counsel but moved up anncment bc of Trump's actions this week.

Council Member

Interesting in that social media journalists (2) have been reporting on this for over two weeks now and it is just now getting picked up by US MSM.....

NBC reporting federal subpoena issued related to Paul Manafort over $3.5 million loan he received the day after leaving Trump campaign.

PART of the FBI CI investigation into Russian ties between Trump WH advisors and Russia has been following a RICO money laundering trail....

Was used to purchase NYC real estate the favorite Russian way to hide money laundering....

Council Member

Interesting chart.....

Council Member

When chasing Russian info warfare...chase the money.....

Russian state-run bank financed deal involving Trump hotel partner
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/russian...er-1495031708#

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Vladimir Putin says he can give record of the conversation between Donald Trump and Sergei Lavrov to the U.S. senate and congress insists NO classified information was given to Lavrov.....
    APPEARS Putin is lying again as normal......

Well this is a pretty startling detail
    http://nbcnews.to/2pWTawg#

Council Member

I had previously posted a chain of comments on this ......

"Family of slain DNC staffer demands retractions from Fox News, local TV station" (Via @oliverdarcy)
    http://cnnmon.ie/2pXytjF

Notice just how this fake news is supported by right wing blogsite....
    David A. Clarke, Jr.‏
    Verifizierter Account
    #
    @SheriffClarke

I admit I do not know all the facts here but as a former homicide detective, was he killed because he knew too much?

He was nominated by Trump as Asst Director to Homeland Security....
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-18-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Council Member

Actually well worth reading concerning "fake news".....

Pizzagate's roots in McCarthy, Birchers and JFK haters.

B.J. Bethel

A view of the world from Ohio
    (Fake) News that kills:#PizzaGate scare only the#beginning

Posted by B.J. Bethel on December 5, 2016

John Kennedy became President in 1961, as the hangover buzz from the McCarthy hearings was starting to echo through the skull of American culture.
    His predecessor, Dwight Eisenhower, was a military General, he led the Allies to war in Europe during World War II, and was the most knowledgable foreign policy president to hold office. He was also a Republican. And to some, a communist in sheep’s wool – yes, the Republican General who led the Americans to victory over fascism, and developed America’s nuclear deterrent.
    This was the atmosphere that greeted Kennedy in office – the first Catholic elected president, a civil rights supporter, a war hero, and one loaded with personal and family baggage. The John Birch Society was at its peak, as was the crypto-right, and the conspiracy and rumor that surrounded his every step had parts of the nation gripped in paranoia, but a paranoia that looks comical next to the current state of affairs.
    A month before Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, his UN Ambassador – Adlai Stevenson – was the center of a political riot that followed him from a speaking engagement in the city to the airport, with flags hung upside down as a sign of a country in distress. He was punched by a woman, and left wondering if the city suffered a psychotic episode.
    Kennedy was shot a month later, after his advisors begged him not to go to Dallas. Wanted posters with his face were handed out. He wasn’t murdered#by a Bircher, but by a communist – Kennedy was the ultimate U.S. Cold Warrior at the moment.
    The gas went out of the extremist movement when conspiracy became realization. Oswald was no right-winger (he tried to murder former General Edwin Walker in his own home, a staunch far-right figure). But the atmosphere soon died following y the site of a young and devastated Jackie Kennedy – with her husbands blood still on her hands and clothing – standing next to Lyndon Johnson as he was sworn in, of Kennedy’s son saluting his father’s casket. The Dallas fever kill John F. Kennedy, and his death killed it, along with efforts by conservatives to banish it from their movement.
    It was during this period William Buckley – owner and publisher of the conservative National Review – former Democrat Norman Podhoretz and 1964 GOP Presidential nominee Barry Goldwater met and formulated a plan to cleanse the conservative movement of the extremists within it. Buckley would do the work in the magazine, Goldwater would avoid confronting them directly, and Podhoretz would provide intellectual fire power along with Buckley. Today such a repudiation of extremists on either side of the aisle would never happen – the price paid for political bravery isn’t known, because no one has tried it in so long.
    Just months after Buckley died, the Great Recession was in absolute#thrall and Barack Obama was elected the first African-American president, Tea Party protests began. A grassroots middle class movement when it started, upset at bailouts for banks and a slap on the wrist given to bankers and politicians for destroying trillions in retirement funds, and millions of jobs, it was co-opted by the far right almost immediately. In Northwest Ohio, many of the Tea Party protests organized in rural areas were by local committees of the John Birch Society. The fever pitch was growing two decades before.
    The Fairness Doctrine, which mandated equal time given to opposing views on radio and television, had been put to rest by Congress. Conservative radio followed, which provided a source of news for many who felt condescended to by the networks in their media capitals. But talk radio isn’t news, and quickly Rush Limbaugh began growing nationwide as Bill Clinton began his run as president. Soon followed conspiracy theories of the Clintons murdering confidante Vince Foster. The theme was carried to ridiculous ends during the 2016 campaign.
    We’ve now reached the Dallas fever point#– Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016, when a man from North Carolina walked into a Washington DC pizza place carrying an assault rifle to investigate internet ‘claims’ of a pedophile ring. The fake story planted on Twitter, using the #PizzaGate hashtag, spread through the usual corridors of Reddit, and based on one fact – Clinton 2016 campaign chair John Podesta liked the pizza there.
    During a post arrest interview, the suspect also revealed that he came to the establishment to self-investigate “Pizza Gate,” the MPD said in a statement.
    As CBS affiliate WUSA reported previously, using the hashtag #PizzaGate, an imaginary story about the popular pizza shop was spread, accusing it to be the center of a child sex slave ring organized by Hillary Clinton and her former campaign manager.
    As a result, the pizza place was hammered by thousands of threats, and bizarre, unsubstantiated tales about child sex trafficking.
    WUSA reported that they found two women, who declined to give their names, banging on the patio at the pizza place in late November. The women were looking for the alleged tunnels used to traffic children.
    Police arrested the man, no one was hurt, no one died – but it’s a near certainty someone will. Even as this story broke, the son of the would-be National Security Advisor continued to peddle the absurd and sick conspiracy theory on his own Twitter account. There are those with the moral authority like John Kasich and Mitt Romney to stand in the face of Nut Country and say, “No,” but they are out-numbered by the opportunists, and with Social Media, they wouldn’t stand a chance. When we need fact-checkers the most, our Fourth Estate is at its weakest.
    When someone dies because someone else needed the ‘lulz,’ or Facebook liked its bottom line better than being a responsible company, there won’t be a Kennedy moment. The decency of the majority won’t stand a chance against the ravenous whims and sociopathy of the decadent minority, armed with “communication tools” the inventors of which don’t grasp or understand the consequences of.
    Journalist and author Peter Hitchens mentioned in his book “The Rage Against God,” that Christianity, church and civic community began to disappear from England after World War I. After the war took every of-age male in some villages and towns, monuments were placed. A new religion took over in benighted worship of the military service.
    This effect has reached the U.S. following the loss in Vietnam, of ill-treatment of veterans and the breakdown in faith of government institutions. To make up, the military is exalted in ways my Greatest Generation veteran relatives found extremely uncomfotable, but it hasn’t replaced religion in America, politics has. Maybe it was the Moral Majority, maybe it was the Reagan Coalition, maybe it was the abortion fight. Maybe it was the 60s left. But politics became everything, and as Goldwater once said, “Extremism, in defense of liberty, is no vice. And moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.”
    Since that 1964 speech, extremism and vice have grown by multitudes, anarchy is in place of liberty and justice is no longer in fear of pursuit because the world is drowning in a sea of technology, ironic displacement, and the lies of the humanity’s worst

Council Member

Azor..something that you tend to miss in your comments allies should pay more and Trump's tweets that they do not pay...

Primer for President Trump: How NATO funding really works

http://www.politico.eu/article/prime...ampaign=buffer

Allies including Germany pay far more per capita to the alliance than the US does.
    By David M. Herszenhorn 5/31/17, 6:04 PM CET Updated 5/31/17, 7:03 PM CET

After berating NATO allies over military spending in Brussels, U.S. President Donald Trump declared victory at the G7 summit in Sicily.

But his pronouncement that money had begun to “pour in” only confirmed to allies that Trump, even after his visit to NATO headquarters, still didn’t have a clue about how the alliance’s financing actually works.

If he understood the system, Trump#would know that relatively little money ever pours in to NATO. And when it comes to the money that does go directly into NATO coffers, there is a strict cost-sharing formula — and allies are all paying their share.

Should allies decide to meet Trump’s demand for increased military spending, the money will never pour in. On the contrary, it is supposed to pour out, with individual NATO members spending more money on their own military forces, equipment and weapons.

Here’s a simple primer on how NATO’s direct budget (officially known as “common funding”) works, and who’s paying what share. We’ll even use bullet points in the hope that a certain someone in the White House might pay 2 percent of attention.
    NATO’s “common funding” budget, the part of the alliance budget controlled by its#international civilian and military staff, is divided into three#main categories:
    • Civil Budget
    • Military Budget
    • NATO Security Investment Programme (for capital expenditures)

As NATO explains, “These are the only funds where NATO authorities identify the requirements and set the priorities in line with overarching Alliance objectives and priorities.”

Allies provide money for these three budget categories according to a two-year cost-sharing formula, based on each ally’s gross national income, meaning the wealthier members pay a proportionally bigger share.

According to the formula for 2016 and 2017 —the United States pays 22.14 percent (rounded to two decimal places; NATO is even more specific on its website). Germany, which has been castigated by Trump, is the next biggest contributor, paying 14.65 percent, followed by France, which pays 10.63 percent, and the United Kingdom, which pays 9.85 percent.

For 2017, NATO’s total budget is roughly €2.18 billion, or $2.44#billion, divided as follows:
    • Civil Budget: €234.4 million, or $262 million
    • Military Budget: €1.29 billion, or $1.44 billion
    • NATO Security Investment Programme: maximum of €655 million or $734 million
    From here on, let’s keep the figures in U.S. dollars, just so it’s easier to follow in Washington.

According to the cost-sharing formula, the approximate total share of the wealthiest major allies (presuming NATO spends the maximum allowed on capital investments) for 2017 is:
    • U.S. $540.32 million
    • Germany $357.46 million
    • France $259.46 million
    • U.K. $240.3 million
    On a per capita basis, that means Americans are paying far less than Germans, roughly $1.68 per person for the 2017 NATO budget. On a per capita basis, Germans are paying more than 2.5 times as much: $4.39 per person. (By this same math, the French are paying $3.88 per person, and Britons $3.69 per person.)

Of course, Trump’s point (and to be fair it’s the same point as many of his predecessors in the White House) is that the important spending by NATO allies is not on the relatively small annual budget for headquarters, but on the soldiers, weapons, equipment and other capabilities that give the alliance its great military might.

On that score, U.S. spending dwarfs that of all other allies. The U.S. forks out more than $600 billion a year on its military compared to about $40 billion spent by Germany.

At NATO headquarters, there is a general sense that Trump doesn’t quite grasp how NATO funding works, though some officials leave open the possibility that he is deliberately simplifying his comments.

At the same time, no one in NATO leadership wants to criticize Trump because they agree with his overarching goal — even if he doesn’t quite understand the goal himself.

In 2014, NATO allies pledged to work toward spending at least 2 percent of annual GDP on defense, a target currently met by the U.S. and just four other countries: Greece, Estonia, the U.K. and Poland.

The pledge in 2014 was voluntary and the alliance set no consequences for countries that fail to meet the target. In response to Trump’s pressure, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg convinced allies not meeting the 2 percent GDP target to agree to develop, by the end of this year, national plans showing how they would do so.

In Germany’s case, meeting the 2 percent GDP target would require nearly doubling its annual military spending to roughly $70 billion from $40 billion.
    But even if German officials, who have pushed back on Trump’s demands, agreed to such a sharp increase, that spending would be on Germany’s own national capabilities, which could be shared with NATO — if Germany wanted to do so. Under no circumstance, however, would that money ever “pour in” to NATO.

When Trump talks about pushing for 2 percent of GDP in spending, his comments suggest that money would automatically fill the alliance’s coffers, something that officials at NATO headquarters acknowledge is a mistaken impression — if, in fact, that’s what Trump believes.

“That would be national defense budgets, any portion of which could be contributed to NATO but that would be a national decision based on operational requirements,” a senior official said, describing the potential 2 percent of GDP in spending.

That the U.S. spends far more than 2 percent of GDP on its own military is a sovereign decision that reflects its unique role as the world’s only superpower.

“It’s also about the US’s global reach and global responsibilities,” the NATO official said. “Because the U.S. has this global reach and global responsibility then of course the military defense expenditures are going to be very different from a country like Slovenia or Luxembourg.”

Anyone interested in learning more about NATO funding — perhaps during a break from covfefe memes on Twitter — can find#more detailed information#on the alliance website.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 05-31-2017 at 05:23 PM.