Page 50 of 106 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2113

Thread: Syria in 2017 (January-April)

Council Member

More fragments of munitions leftover from the US strike on old wing of al-Jinah mosque.

“Woodward HRT” is California-based defense company:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

Qatar’s Foreign Minister calls the Al-Jinah Mosque airstrike “heinous” & says mosques “cannot be a place of murder or bloodshed."

Ahrar al-Sham says the airstrike that hit Al-Jinah mosque was American & should be declared a war crime:

US strikes that hit mosques & kill 10s of civilians give AlQaeda even more of an advantage. Makes this worse:

Trump thinks looser targeting limits will make America safer; he's dangerously mistaken. Hitting a mosque during prayers = incitement.

Note any military action that knowingly hits a place of worship = war crime.

The strike also took place during evening prayers
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-17-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Council Member

Raqqa: On the night of March 11th-12th #US airstrikes killed 22 displaced civilians, including 7 children & 6 women, in #Raqqa Province.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Qatar’s Foreign Minister calls the Al-Jinah Mosque airstrike “heinous” & says mosques “cannot be a place of murder or bloodshed."

Ahrar al-Sham says the airstrike that hit Al-Jinah mosque was American & should be declared a war crime:

US strikes that hit mosques & kill 10s of civilians give AlQaeda even more of an advantage. Makes this worse:

Trump thinks looser targeting limits will make America safer; he's dangerously mistaken. Hitting a mosque during prayers = incitement.

Note any military action that knowingly hits a place of worship = war crime.

The strike also took place during evening prayers
    No underestimating the damage this apparent US strike in Al-Jinah will have done - rebels now equate US w. #Russia & #Assad. Dangerous.

Syria/#Iraq: Civilian casualties by #US airstrikes rose during the last months of #Obama and escalating under #Trump.

I... I am really shocked by this action. It's hard to explain why.

It's not like I didn't expect this to happen: I just didn't want to 'believe' anybody in the USA is THIS STUPID as to do such things.

I mean: by side that from documents of this kind it's more than obvious that Trump, his aides, and all those supporting them - are living in a fool's paradise.

...or they all fell to the Earth from some other universe... then there is NO explanation for sheer idiotism of the ideas like 'to defeat IS in 30 days', then go babbling in the same paper about 'paying greatest possible attention at preventing civilian casualties' - and then ordering an air strike on a mosque in which there is an evening prayer every single ####ing Thursday since four years!!!

...and then the CENTCOM and the Pentagon... so professionally stupid, so professionally unprofessional as always: when caught red-handed, they can only stutter about 'targeting two buildings nearby', while all the evidence says clearly: they targeted a mosque full of civilians!

I consider myself somebody trying to understand both - or all - of parties involved in conflicts I monitor/study; and, also somebody trying to explain all of them to each other. But, atrocities of this kind are a result of such reckless and idiotically arrogant logic that they can only be described as war crimes.

And war crimes... are something I can't explain even to myself, not to talk about somebody else.

Council Member

Aleppo: All Friday prayers in Northern #Syria where cancelled today after the deadly #US airstrikes on a mosque in Western #Aleppo.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrowBat View Post
    I... I am really shocked by this action. It's hard to explain why.

It's not like I didn't expect this to happen: I just didn't want to 'believe' anybody in the USA is THIS STUPID as to do such things.

I mean: by side that from documents of this kind it's more than obvious that Trump, his aides, and all those supporting them - are living in a fool's paradise.

...or they all fell to the Earth from some other universe... then there is NO explanation for sheer idiotism of the ideas like 'to defeat IS in 30 days', then go babbling in the same paper about 'paying greatest possible attention at preventing civilian casualties' - and then ordering an air strike on a mosque in which there is an evening prayer every single ####ing Thursday since four years!!!

...and then the CENTCOM and the Pentagon... so professionally stupid, so professionally unprofessional as always: when caught red-handed, they can only stutter about 'targeting two buildings nearby', while all the evidence says clearly: they targeted a mosque full of civilians!

I consider myself somebody trying to understand both - or all - of parties involved in conflicts I monitor/study; and, also somebody trying to explain all of them to each other. But, atrocities of this kind are a result of such reckless and idiotically arrogant logic that they can only be described as war crimes.

And war crimes... are something I can't explain even to myself, not to talk about somebody else.
    All evidence suggests the building the US bombed was a new mosque built next to the smaller old mosque

CONFIRMED: US Responsible for Aleppo Mosque Bombing via @bellingcat
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena...sque-bombing/#

The Pentagon just lied about not bombing a mosque, killing dozens. Should prompt a Congressional investigation:
    http://bit.ly/2mURdlA

Trump asked military to push civilian casualty limits. "That's really ####ed up," a defense intel officer told me.
    https://airwars.org/news/1000th-
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Council Member

For the last two years Russian Today has given the open source analysis team from bellingcat grief on anything they wrote....

Suddenly today they are even quoting them....FIRST time a Russian propaganda media outlet uses a true and verified true story.....

RT is now citing Bellingcat's research, guess we won them round finally
    https://www.rt.com/news/381077-mosqu...eppo-missile/#

Council Member

Does Israel really care what the Russians say as Syria is not a part of Russia..YET at least...

BREAKING: Moscow summoned Israeli envoy to discuss Israeli strikes in Syria

Syria #IAF conducted several airstrikes on #Hezbollah near #Palmyra & killed high rank commander "Badie Hamya"
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-17-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Council Member

Notable that #Al_Jeineh building bombed by US, which locals say was a mosque, does have a loudspeaker (top right). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBwagt3lXXU#…

Using @TerraServer, you can see the plot in March 2010 and construction in August & October 2015:
    https://www.terraserver.com/view?utf...Lng=36.578064#
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-17-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Council Member

Syria #FSA in clashes with #IS in eastern #Qalamoun

E. #Damascus: Jaish Al-Islam destroyed a T-72 and one armoured bulldozer on #Barzeh front.

SW. #Aleppo: #FSA Division 23 took out with a #TOW an #ATGM launcher on Tell Uhud.
    http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=36...z=14&m#…

Jaish Al-Islam: Al-Bunian Al-Marsous offensive on Al-Manshiyah in #Daraa significatively reduced military pressure on besieged E. #Ghouta.

Regime losses since Bunian Marsous started offensive on Manshiyah (#Daraa): 6 armours, 38 officers (2 generals), 16 tunnels/caches, 2 drones
    E. #Qalamoun: #FSA deployed several tanks to back offensive vs #ISIS in Jebal Afai & Jebal Batra.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Council Member

bellingcat @bellingcat
    Our detailed analysis of the US mosque bombing, more updates to come this weekend
    https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena...sque-bombing/#

Council Member

New Gerasimov article on nature of warfare
    https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2017...e-of-warfare/#
    … via @russmil

Russian Military Reform
    Tracking developments in the Russian military

March 17, 2017 by Dmitry Gorenburg

New Gerasimov article on nature of warfare

Valery Gerasimov, the Chief of the Russian General Staff, has published a new article on the nature of modern warfare. Given how much attention has been paid to his 2013 article on this topic, it seems worthwhile to quickly review what’s changed in the last four years.
    The most important observation, though, is how much hasn’t changed. Gerasimov still focuses on the American origin of hybrid warfare, both attributing the origin of the term to American theoretical writings and discussing its implementation in the Middle East, and particularly in Syria.
    Gerasimov’s discussion of the origins of the conflict in Syria is worth citing at length. He notes that in the first stage, internal Syrian tensions were transformed into armed actions by the opposition. The opposition was supported by foreign trainers and an active information war from abroad. Subsequently, terrorist groups supplied and organized from abroad then entered the conflict against Syrian government forces. The conclusion that Gerasimov draws is that hybrid warfare is actively practiced by the United States and other NATO members, in large part because this type of action does not fall under the definition of aggression.
    Nevertheless, Gerasimov isn’t eager to assume that the hybrid warfare concept is here to stay or to introduce it into official Russian discourse. Instead he focuses (as in the 2013 article) on the continuing erasure of the boundary between conditions of war and peace. He highlights that it is more and more common for a country’s sovereignty and national security to be threatened in peacetime. The spectrum of reasons for use of military force is continually expanding, with force being more often used to secure a state’s economic interests or to enforce democratic values in another country.
    Much of this is a repeat of the 2013 argument, with the focus on Western states using a wide spectrum of measures (political, economic, diplomatic, informational) combined with the “protest potential of the population,” to ensure that their interests are observed. Cyber warfare is added to this list, with an example of cyber attacks on Iranian energy infrastructure.
    What seems interesting to me is the second half of the article, where Gerasimov discusses how Russia is responding to this heightened risk of “new generation” warfare. Here, Gerasimov drops all the discussion of hybrid and information warfare. Instead, his focus is very much old school: a discussion of strategic deterrence with nuclear weapons and long range aviation. To this is added the development of long range cruise missiles and other precision-guided munitions, next generation fighter aircraft, modern ships, etc. There is also a discussion of advances in automation and electronic warfare. In other words, Russia is preparing to respond to this threat environment by strengthening its conventional and nuclear military capability. There is virtually no discussion of Russian efforts to engage in information warfare or hybrid warfare of any kind. “Little green men” play no role in this vision of Russian military power. Instead, we are given to understand that Russia will respond to any aggression with overwhelming force.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 03-18-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Council Member

Ethnic cleansed continues in #Syria under #Russia'n supervision (#Homs suburb Al Waer)

Council Member

The huge devastation in #Palmyra city, as a resault of bombing by #Russian & #Syrian, before recapture the city.
    https://youtu.be/k65wfzMAgJM

Council Member

Shocking #footage
    #Russian airstrikes on Urem al-Kubra (west of #Aleppo) hit civilians last night.
    Dead and injured.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8c...ture=youtu.be#

Female @SyriaCivilDef workers treat a man, injured in an #AssadPutin airstrike south of #Aleppo last night (other pix).

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09 View Post
    Ethnic cleansed continues in #Syria under #Russia'n supervision (#Homs suburb Al Waer)
    ASSADPUTIN'S COMPLETE ETHNO-SECTARIAN CLEANSING OF 75.000 CIVILIANS FROM AL-WAER BEGINS.

The world & @UN look the other way.

Council Member

Of course also the #Assad airforce kept attacking innocent people across #Syria today.
    Here: E of #Damascus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BttGZJ8wpg&t=0s#…

Council Member

REMEMBER CENTCOM still claims they attacked AQ in their air strike against a mosque....

MAYBE they need some serious reviews of available open source media ....

SINCE when is a small child....AQ

Rescue workers save a child from under the rubble after the #US attack on peaceful praying people in #Jinah
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jptAgpPoqw#…

Council Member

CENTCOM needs to urgently explain WHY they cannot seem to figure out who belongs to what sect/tribe..and who is or is not AQ and or IS....

THIS is extremely bad if correct.....total intelligence failure at the highest targeting levels and that goes all the way back to Trump WH.....

Looks like @CENTCOM killed dozens of peaceful Tablighi Jamaat members in the #Jinah attack.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablighi_Jamaat#…
    http://en.eldorar.com/node/5137