Thread: How do you change the perception?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greatful for everyone's replys and paradigm testing

Thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    Bill your concepts of cyber warfare are about 20 years out of date.

I am glad to hear that, somebody is 20 yrs ahead of us. That pleases me.

Cyber-warfare is a sexed up term to refer to a "terrain".

YES, exactly, we now have the Navy, Air force, Army to handle those "terrains", where are the "cyber forces", In this Terrain USA seems to be MIA.

Much like land warfare, or naval warfare, or air warfare. Computers are tools used for good purposes and bad purposes much the same as tanks and trucks. Metaphorical analysis of cyber warfare will only carry you so far and the over use of the term rather than realistic terms only prejudices people against the topic.

We have tried to demonstrate the practical application of our concept of a "cyber troop", I think the Theory is still being worked out.
    They are at war with the USA on the Internet, we reacted.

There is terrorism, it occurs through a variety of devices and techniques, and some of those devices are communications and computer networks. Information warfare uses computers much like it uses mass media but they are not inextricably linked. Command, control, communication, and coordination using information technology (C4IT) can be simplified as "computer mediated". What is missing from your posts (and I must admit the variety of fonts and incoherence of the posts makes them nearly unreadable, some replys have been culled form our Internal docs.I will try and watch it, Thanks) is a basic understanding of commodity computing and computer convergence. These two basic concepts enlighten and inform the conflict scholar about how computers are used and why they are used.

A simple understanding of convergence and commodity tools might help. The ubiquitous refrigerator allowed for fresh foods and longer time in transit for foods. This created a more nutritious and higher value food source for soldiers. Those armies that had access and the resources to use refrigeration had a tactical advantage over their adversaries. Yet we never coined or used the term refrigeration warfare. When high value information technology assets were converged into military supply trains along with refrigeration capability the just in time supply line became a reality for food stuffs. Yet again we did not define war based on just in time inventory or it's convergence with refrigeration.

But we were not fighting on refrigeration trains, we are fighting on the Internet. I think it is a terrain deserving of troops.

C4IT is a converging communication paradigm that is both a tactical tool as well as a strategic terrain. I agree.

USA has run this type of paradigm before, and the result was the Air Force, separated from the Army.
    The sooner the USA spins off a "cyber force" the sooner USA will dominate that Terrain also.

All Armed Forces will need to maintain a "cyber" capability dedicated to use of their service.

Bill

Last edited by BILL; 01-09-2008 at 12:49 AM.