Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
Just my opinion, but I think that the reduction in activity here has to do with the consolidation of ideas on small wars into set camps of thought. In the early days there was much debate about what would or could work. Now it seems like there are only those who think that Small Wars are a problem of culture (we cannot forcibly Westernize the world), or Small Wars are a problem of the ROE (if only we could kill everything that we think might be a threat, we can win), or that Small Wars are a waste of time (Gian Gentile et. al.). We end up having the same conversation with the same people.

There is also the issue of competition, of which there is plenty. Places like WoTR and the Strategy Bridge, as well as blogs like Lawfare. Still, I really like SWJ for people who want to throw ideas out there and get a response from the field. It just seems that small wars and insurgency/counterinsurgency are not the hot topic. Nowadays, the areas of interest now are little green men and cyber.
I don't know about the camps, but agree there are other focus areas for those of us still working in this area. The COINdistas were incorrect in their assertions that war between states is a historical artifact and the future of conflict is COIN. Getting involved in some other country's internal affairs is always a choice, rarely a national security necessity. On the other hand, where I was wrong and the SWJ Eds were correct is that is we are at risk losing all the lessons related to small wars once again. We're off and running trying to implement the 3d Off Set Strategy, while the small war lessons have been sidelined. The balance that SecDef Gates pushed has never been achieved, instead we're on titter totter that doesn't titter. The fat guy is either small wars or conventional war, and the other guy is skinny whose feet never get to touch the ground. Until we see these two schools of thought as part of a greater whole instead of being antagonistic, we'll continue to struggle.

Overall, and perhaps it is just me, we have discussed tactics at length. I have learned much from those discussions. However, there seems to be a growing sense of frustration that regardless of how skilled our men and women are on the tip of the spear, it often seems for naught when our political leadership is strategically adrift. It may even get worse as our national rhetoric approaches a level of hubris we haven't seen since Dick Cheney was VP.