Thread: Detection of radioactivity at trace levels over Europe in 2017

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

MAYBE this story which I think is a cover story might be designed to end the i131 story....
    https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/02/22/3...KvjGAU.twitter

Sorry, ‘Sniffer’ Fans: WC-135 Isn’t Smelling Russian Nukes

The U.S. Air Force’s WC-135 Constant Phoenix aircraft, capable of detecting nuclear explosions, deployed to the United Kingdom last week for a routine mission, the service said Wednesday.

The “nuke hunter” plane, also known as the “sniffer,” is on a “pre-planned rotational deployment scheduled in advance,” Air Force spokeswoman Erika Yepsen told Military.com.

The WC-135 “regularly flies around the world for missions,” added Col. Patrick Ryder. “Any of the reporting in terms of having another reason [is] not grounded in fact,” the service’s chief spokesman said.

There has been ongoing speculation the U.S. sent the detection aircraft to Europe after an alleged Russian nuclear test, which caused radioactive levels to “spike” in areas such as Norway, according to The Aviationist blog, which first tracked the aircraft Feb. 17.

The aircraft belongs to the 45th Reconnaissance Squadron, 55th Operations Group, at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska.

According to the The French Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety Institute, a research organization and environmental protection advocacy agency that tracks nuclear activity throughout the globe, trace amounts of Iodine-131 (131I) — a radioisotope of iodine that has a radioactive decay half-life of about eight days — were detected in Norway, Finland, Poland, the Czech Republic, Germany, France and Spain throughout January.

The presence of Iodine-131 “is proof of a rather recent release,” the organization said.

Government agencies have not come forward to explain the radiation. Experts, however, say the leaks are not a mystery.

Scientist Jayde Lovell, host of TYT network’s ScIQ and executive director of ReAgency, a PR firm that specializes in science storytelling, told the International Business Times UK, “Iodine-131 is not a mystery.

“It’s released in low levels normally as part of nuclear power and, since nuclear power is common throughout Europe, it’s not unusual to be able to detect trace amounts during certain types of weather, particularly the cold weather of a European winter,” she told the newspaper.

“I would be expecting to see a lot more and more different kinds of radiation than just Iodine-131 if it was a nuclear test,” Lovell said.
    Why a cover story....if one tracks the reported flow of the i131 reporting's they started out in northern Norway/Finland then followed by reports from Poland and then Czech Republic...then mid to southern Germany...southern France and then ending in southern Spain.

The so called winter excuse given in this report is totally false as the wind conditions at the time were mainly from East to West and changing at the end of the eight days back to West to East.....and based on the half life it would have died out over Spain....

If in fact as the story states it is far normal NPP operations...the initial reports did not originate in an area where there is a heavy concentration of NPPs....actually none to speak of able to create a moving cloud capable of being detected.

WHAT is also interesting ....if the WC-135 was on routine missions...then why was it then not announced as it flew very quietly into UK...and only after being tracked by civilian observers does this story now come out....

And the article does not explain the joint operation yesterday with a RC-135W SIGINT aircraft...which normally flies their own collection routes recently over the Baltic and Black Sea areas....

BLUF:
    There has been absolutely no comments made by any EU Research Center as to why the levels of i131 were high enough to actually track...nor has any EU government commented on this...nor why initially reported in northern Norway and Finland.
    Last edited by OUTLAW 09; 02-23-2017 at 08:29 AM.