Thread: Military Transition Teams (MTTs) in Iraq

Default Military Transition Teams (MTTs) in Iraq

I'm doing a little independent research on Military Transition Teams in Iraq and I was curious about a few things related to the makeup of a typical MTT. I've managed to find a few reliable sources, but I could probably use some help.

I understand that MTTs vary in size and capability, and are frequently augmented, but is there a typical base structure for a MTT? If so, what is it? Are team members broken up into areas of specialization when training indigenous forces? Do team members primarily function as S-1/S-2/S-3, etc., or are those supplementary billets in addition to their roles as advisors? What are typical ways in which MTTs are augmented by outside personnel?

Also, how is an officer or NCO selected for a MTT? Are they nominated and screened, interviewed, etc.? Are they hand-picked? Do these selections occur at the battalion/regiment/division level?

(My brother's ANGLICO team augmented a USMC MTT in Anbar in 2006, but since he's back in Anbar at the moment and doesn't have reliable internet access, I can't really ask him. Plus, as I said, he was not as much a part of the MTT as he was attached to it to provide them with CAS.)

In addition to personal experience and knowledge, any websites or blogs you can point me to, any manuals or other sources, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been doing some of the same research, being on a MTT team myself. So here's some answers.

I actually just got some answers in regards to the requirements. It seems a unit receives a requirement to fill a certain amount of MTT slots with Marines with the appropriate rank, MOS, and are not too close to EASing to deploy. That's it. I asked this same question because it's my belief that this job is not for everyone, and there needs to be some requirements beyond rank and MOS. Take me for instance. I fulfill the rank and MOS requirements and requested to be on a MTT, but this is my first deployment and I have limited experience in my job beyond MOS school. Someone with at least one deployment under their belt would probably have been better, enthusiasm and genius can only take me so far.

Battalion MTTs used to consist of 11 members, but was recently upped to 15. They aren't always put together in the ideal fashion (sometimes they'll have two Log O's, or whatever) but what they shoot for is this: 1 Team Leader (0302, Maj), 1 Maneuver Advisor (0302, Capt) 1 Fires and Effects Trainer (0802, Capt), 1 Intelligence Officer (02xx, Capt) 1 Logistics Officer, 1 Comm officer, a Motor T/Logistics Chief (SNCO), an Artillery Chief (SNCO, usually 0811), an Intelligence Chief (SNCO, 02xx), a Comm Chief (SNCO, 06xx), and four 03xx drivers/gunners ranging from Sgt-PFC. Or something along those lines. For example, my team has a Major 0302 Team leader, a Major Comm officer, a Major Logistics officer, an 0302 First Lieutenant Maneuver advisor, an 0802 First Lieutenant Fires and Effects advisor, a Second Lieutenant Intel officer, and so on.

We do have assigned S-1, S-2, etc. functions to handle the day to day running the team. Some of those will carry over to the Iraqi training. I'm the S-3 for training, while the Maneuver advisor is the S-3 for operations. His Iraqi counterpart will be the IA S-3. The Log O will obviously be paired with the IA S-4. As an 0802, I don't have a "natural" IA counterpart in an infantry battalion. It is up to my team leader what I will be doing. Some MTT teams have a set advisor for each IA Company Commander, some don't. It's up to the team and the situation.

MTT teams are usually augmented with a few more bodies. Who they are depends on the support Coalition unit. Some get Army FOs. Some get ANGLICO teams. Some get Marine grunts.

I hope that answers some questions. My team leaves for Iraq in late November, so feel free to ask more questions before then.

I may be able to offer some information on this topic. I recently returned from a deployment as a MTT leader, and will be returning for a second deployment, again as MTT leader, in a few months. Xenophon generally has the team composition correct, though I never had a comm officer - only the comm chief. Instead the billet is the HSC advisor, and can be filled by pretty much any MOS. It's HSC (Headquarter and Service Company) because the table of organization for all MTTs comes from the army. The overall standard battalion level MTT is an 11 man team following the army T/O. The Marine Corps has added 4 gunner/driver/security Marines to the list to make it 15. On my last deployment I also received 10 additional infantry Marines and a second Corpsman. That was very localized though and a function of the area we were in, the security situation, and the operational status of the Iraqi battalion (in my case they were no longer partnered with a US unit and were operating independently in their own AO). Brigade and Division level MTTs differ somewhat, but follow the same general structure.

The actual MTT assignment are to the T/O advisor positions. I quickly learned that organizing along standard staff functions (S1, S2, S3, etc) was required both for internal MTT functioning and much of the interaction with the Iraqis. I also assigned Marines to company advisor positions. I guess you could say collateral duty, but really it was a second primary duty. Everyone split their time between staff functions/advising and conducting actual combat operations with the companies and the battalion.

As far as assignment to MTTs from what I have seen it is ad hoc and inconsistent. A list of MTT requirement is published and units are assigned to fill certain position and in some cases entire teams. Some people volunteer for team, others are voluntold. The selections occur at all levels (battalion, regt, division). There is no formal nomination or screening process, though there is a general understanding of the attitude and mentality that are required to be successful in this job.

I am in something of a unique situation. Having just returned from my last MTT when my unit was tasked with filling another full team for deployment in a few months. I was given the choice between another MTT tour or a MEF level staff job. I picked the MTT. Fortunately for me most of my previous team then volunteered to come back with me. I was also then given a relatively free hand in filling the remaining spots as well as conducting my own predeployment training. The MEF has made us something of a science project - they want to evaluate how a return team (or team with a good number of encore personnel) prepares and performs. One long term MEF concept has MTTs forming for an extended period and conducting at least two deployments together, though I'm not sure they will ever get to that.

Thank you, gentlemen. This is exactly the kind of gouge I was hoping for.

Now, through the grapevine (meaning my brother) I've heard that there have been some complaints in the past about personnel assigned to MTTs. Something along the lines of, occasionally there will be an E-4 Harrier mechanic assigned to a MTT and no one seems to know why, because they wonder how a Marine with that MOS is suited for the team. Have you encountered this before?
    When I die, I want my last words to have been "Hold my beer and watch this."

There hasn't been a problem with that on my team. Our comm chief is from the wing and our motor T chief has never deployed to combat, but they are both very competent and we have no complaints. Rather, the problem is 03xx types, officer and enlisted, who cannot convert from the "Kill people, Break stuff" mentality to the "advise, mentor, and train" mentality. We still have a few that think they are going over there to be Rambo Ricky Recon. Keep in mind this is based strictly on my team and the three other teams we've been going through the PTP training with.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
    ... and four 03xx drivers/gunners ranging from Sgt-PFC.
    Do the four drivers/gunners have any advisory role, or are they strictly for security and transportation?
    When I die, I want my last words to have been "Hold my beer and watch this."

UPDATE: Ever since I wrote my thesis on COIN in Iraq back in late 2006, I've been tossing around the idea of actually writing a book on the subject somewhere down the road. I shy away from the idea of trying to write a general history, because that would take volumes (historical context, preceding doctrines, plotting the evolution through OIF-I, II, III, IV, etc.). That just seemed like too monumental an undertaking, and that's when I remembered a lesson from my English comp professor during my first semester of my freshman year: BE SPECIFIC. In other words, I need to offer something with both breadth AND depth, something that is not so much of a "history" as it is a "study" which examines a particular facet of the broader picture. It only took me a few minutes of thinking to realize that I need to write on MTTs. That way, hopefully I can make a scholarly and substantive contribution to the discourse out there on training indigenous forces. Considering the Marine Corps is making a move towards emphasizing foreign training and advising via Special Purpose MAGTFs in its immediate future, I see this idea as having some merit.

This idea is still very much in the infant stages, and will probably remain that way for a few years. I'm scheduled to report back to Quantico in January. But there will always be some downtime where I can revive this little project of mine, and hopefully I'll gain some firsthand experience on down the road that will lend my writing some further credibility. Currently I'm working on an outline and obtaining some preliminary sources, and I may even get started on jotting down some of the context. I suspect I'll be back here more often to pick the brains of any officers and NCOs here who have served with MTTs in Iraq.

Depending on your thesis depth and format (you didn't say dissertation) your thesis is likely in four parts, lit review, methods, results, conclusions, or something similar. Break the lit review in three parts (intro, background, new), tease you methods section into a good chapter, break your results into a couple of chapters, and make your conclusions into two chapters. Now you have a book format and I've made editors everywhere mad as heck.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    UPDATE: Ever since I wrote my thesis on COIN in Iraq back in late 2006, I've been tossing around the idea of actually writing a book on the subject somewhere down the road. I shy away from the idea of trying to write a general history, because that would take volumes (historical context, preceding doctrines, plotting the evolution through OIF-I, II, III, IV, etc.). That just seemed like too monumental an undertaking, and that's when I remembered a lesson from my English comp professor during my first semester of my freshman year: BE SPECIFIC. In other words, I need to offer something with both breadth AND depth, something that is not so much of a "history" as it is a "study" which examines a particular facet of the broader picture. It only took me a few minutes of thinking to realize that I need to write on MTTs. That way, hopefully I can make a scholarly and substantive contribution to the discourse out there on training indigenous forces. Considering the Marine Corps is making a move towards emphasizing foreign training and advising via Special Purpose MAGTFs in its immediate future, I see this idea as having some merit.

This idea is still very much in the infant stages, and will probably remain that way for a few years. I'm scheduled to report back to Quantico in January. But there will always be some downtime where I can revive this little project of mine, and hopefully I'll gain some firsthand experience on down the road that will lend my writing some further credibility. Currently I'm working on an outline and obtaining some preliminary sources, and I may even get started on jotting down some of the context. I suspect I'll be back here more often to pick the brains of any officers and NCOs here who have served with MTTs in Iraq.
    Getting ready to head out for a year. Always willing to share my views.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusoe View Post
    Getting ready to head out for a year. Always willing to share my views.
    You just want to get your name published in a book, don't you, sir?

Just foolin'. I will PM you sometime soon with some questions. Thank you very much for offering, sir.

Default Members of MiTT's

All,

I am a newly commissioned Marine 2LT and am currently writing my thesis on the use of CAPs/MiTTs. I was wondering if I could interview via email any of the marines who served on a MiTT. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and information already.

V/R

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi View Post
    All,

I am a newly commissioned Marine 2LT and am currently writing my thesis on the use of CAPs/MiTTs. I was wondering if I could interview via email any of the marines who served on a MiTT. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and information already.
    Would you accept feedback from your Army bretheren that served on a MiTT?
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Default Army Military Transition Team

I served as an Army Military Transition Team Chief in Iraq. Below is a snapshot of how my team was organized.
    As the Team Leader I advised, trained, assessed, and validated an 800 man Iraqi Army Light Battalion Command and Control Headquarters composed of a headquarters and Service Company and four maneuver companies. I assisted the Battalion Command and Control Headquarters in becoming interdependent, mutually supporting and Soldier focused. Assessed and mentored the command group leadership at all levels. Coordinated and provided effects for operational missions as liaison between Coalition Forces and the Iraqi Army Battalion.
    The Battalion Staff Maneuver Officer was responsible for mentoring, coaching and teaching the Iraqi Battalion in all aspects of staff supervision, coordination and management. Specific responsibilities included coordination between staff sections in matters of operations, training, personnel, and logistics, in order to efficiently and successfully execute the battalion's counter insurgency missions. He was also responsible for the supervision, coordination, and management of the team; served as the team commander in his absence.
    The Headquarters Support Company (HSC) Advisor was responsible for training, assessing, equipping and validating the HSC. Assists the Battalion HSC in becoming interdependent, mutually supporting and self-sustaining; advises staff counterparts to develop sustainable procedures, tactical and technical proficiency for S-1 section, maintenance platoon, food service section, and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Platoon in accordance with Iraqi Ministry of Defense directives and policies. Additional duties included: Team S-1.
    The Intelligence Officer along with the Senior Enlisted Intelligence Advisor was responsible for advising the S2 Officers and staff, coordinated between three maneuver companies and a scout platoon with the S2 staff section. Advised the S2 on all operational and administrative intelligence staff functions as the battalion build combat power and trained on counter insurgency operations in the eventual capability to conduct independent operations. Enabled, advised, and conducted intelligence training that developed systems which supported the sharing and dissemination of intelligence with Coalition Forces. Maintained the current situation regarding the enemy and environmental factors; advised Iraqi counterpart on how to update the Intelligence Preparation of Battlefield and the intelligence estimate; guided the Iraqi S-2 in collection, process, production, and dissemination of Intelligence; ensured Iraqi counterparts disseminates all information to the Iraqi BN CDR in order to allow the BN CDR to plan and prepare for near and long term missions.
    The Logistics Advisor was responsible for advising, training, assessing, equipping and validating the battalion S4 section. Assisted the battalion logistics personnel in becoming interdependent, mutually supporting and self-sustaining; served as a liaison between coalition logistics enablers and BN logistics personnel. He advised staff counterparts to develop sustainable procedures for receipt, accountability, maintenance and issue of ammunition, vehicles, and weapons in accordance with Iraqi Ministry of Defense directives and policies. Additional duties included: Primary Hand Receipt Holder and Team S-4.
    The Fires and Effects Advisor along with the Fires and Effect NCO assisted the Battalion Command and Control Headquarters in planning full spectrum operation and incorporating both lethal and non-lethal effects into their operations. Coordinated and provided effects for operational missions as liaison between Coalition Forces and the Iraqi Army Battalion.
    The Senior advisor to the Iraqi Battalion Command Sergeant advised, coached and mentored the Iraqi NCO leadership in all Battlefield Operating Systems during training, preparation and combats; served as liaison with coalition forces and provided counterparts with access to coalition effects; provided US and coalition with assessments of Iraqi capabilities and transition timeline; responsible for morale, health, welfare, maintenance and accountability of all assigned forces.
    The Senior Medical Advisor was responsible for emergency and routine medical care for the team and the Iraqi Army Battalion; mentored, trained, and advised the Iraqi battalion’s medical personnel for the development of an independent Battalion Medical Treatment Facility; ordered and maintained all medical supplies. He collected, interpreted, and reported disease information and prevention; administered drugs up to and including narcotics as necessary; rendering medical aid to members of the Iraqi forces, civilians, and any injured personnel on the battlefield
    Lastly, the Communications Chief and Primary Communications Advisor to the Iraqi battalion was responsible for training and advising the Iraqi battalion in all facets of communication operations; served as team communications NCO responsible for ensuring operation of all communication and electronic countermeasures devices for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
    There hasn't been a problem with that on my team. Our comm chief is from the wing and our motor T chief has never deployed to combat, but they are both very competent and we have no complaints. Rather, the problem is 03xx types, officer and enlisted, who cannot convert from the "Kill people, Break stuff" mentality to the "advise, mentor, and train" mentality. We still have a few that think they are going over there to be Rambo Ricky Recon. Keep in mind this is based strictly on my team and the three other teams we've been going through the PTP training with.
    Excellent observation. I have found this to be true also.

I just returned from northern Iraq serving as a military transition team member.
    15 months of training and deployment was long, but it was an outstanding experience to understand my role as a current Army officer. I believed the officers served in Iraq as a MiTT will be better prepared for future deployments and will do well in next duty position.
    Here are some examples, First, living with the Iraqi Army day to day, I learned how their culture work, how they think and how they operate, also I pick up their language very fast. End of my tour I was able to read and ask simple questing during missions. This was the best culture training that Army provided.
    Second, I witnessed the good and bad operations from coalition partner units. Observing from the outside of the units, it helped me to see and feel what looks right.
    Therefore, the experience that MiTT member will goes through will better prepare for future deployments.