Thread: DoD IG Report on CPL Tillman's Death

Council Member

Default DoD IG Report on CPL Tillman's Death

For those who are interested, here's the public redacted version, dated 26 Mar 07:

Review of Matters Related to the Death of CPL Patrick Tillman, US Army

Council Member

Default Pat Tillman; Issues and Circumstances

I searched the site and did not locate any discussion relative to the Pat Tillman friendly fire incident, therefore, thought perhaps interest might be generated from my short comments below.

We all know Pat Tillman was killed by other in his Ranger unit while serving in Afghanistan (Khwost Province, adjacent to Pak border). The circumstances of his death some 3 years ago (2004) remain clouded in mystery and definition.

What most know is that senior officers covered up the incident from unit level to the most senior positions in the US Army.

The question remains is WHY? Why would a senior US Army officer(s) lie to cover up what they must know would be public information as soon as the unit's members either separated or returned to the United States.

The honor code states: " I will not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those among us who do.."

If senior officers were afraid or apprehensive to recommend or demand that military metrics required most "boots on the ground" for the invasion of Iraq; and, senior US Army officer lied about how Tillman was killed-what does this say about the fabric of our leaders who are in command presently.

This one of many issues seriously challenges in-depth thought as to what is really happening to our beloved institution.

Haiti/95;Bosnia/96; Kosovo/99;Africa/2002;Afghanistan/2003;Iraq/2005

It might help the discussion if you introduce yourself here. Good profile, though.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Dexter Filkins' NYT review of Jon Krakauer's new book on Pat Tillman “Where Men Win Glory.” The LA Times is less critical of the book in their review. The WSJ recently interviewed Krakauer.

Default And here's...

Andrew Exum's review in the Washington Post.

He fits a brief explanation of the distinction between political, strategic, operational, and tactical levels of war into this discussion - but I wonder if that distinction has any appeal to General Public.

Certainly this is a fine example of how events at small scales change the nature of the larger which in turn impact the smaller (and so on to infinity).

Greyhawk,
    Thanks for the link; Exum was the right man to have pen a review on it. Krakauer is a talented storyteller, and I was anticipating this book. Sorry to see it panned by two people who know what they are talking about; good thing I didn’t pre-order the book.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
    Good review, though if I read it correctly, it sounds like he aired his political views to his men and even criticized his chain of command in front of them. That's would be disappointing.