RE: Russian Ceasefires

The problem is more than merely one of the Russians violating their own ceasefires. Their reliance upon disparate state and non-state actors as force multipliers – from allies of convenience such as Iran and the remnant of Syria, to local criminals, mercenaries and insurgents – has enabled Russia to project power, but at the expense of central control. Indeed, the approach that Moscow takes to expand and deepen its rule in Chechnya, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transnistria, Crimea and Donbas, is the same approach that Putin uses to hold onto power in the Kremlin. The ceasefire violations at Ilovaisk and Debaltsevo were ordered directly from the Kremlin, which held escalation dominance over Ukraine. However, Moscow cannot fully control the insurgents in Donbas, let alone Teheran or Damascus, who have more skin in the game in Syria.

The issue with the “ceasefires” in Syria is less one of Russia violating them and more one of Syria and Iran ignoring them. Russian-sponsored ceasefires in Syria are about as impactful as the UN’s mediation efforts. Note that Russia appeared genuinely taken aback by the Sarin attack at Khan Shaykhun, and has not challenged Israeli strikes on IRGC and Hezbollah targets in Syria with Russian forces in the vicinity.

The discussions in Astana only serve to make Moscow appear more indispensable to peace in Syria than it actually is, and to regain the public relations initiative after the TLAM strike on Shayrat.

RE: Turkey and the “Safe Zones”

This is a signal of displeasure with the CJTF-OIR providing CAS to YPG forces, and to possibly help Ankara target the YPG more freely. Ankara worries that a conflict between the TAF/FSA with the YPG will lead to U.S. interference, as exemplified by the Marines attempting to establish a buffer between the YPG and the TAF/FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAW 09
I will give an excellent example of Russian actions...for weeks and months Putin gives verbal support to LePen, provided her cash for her campaign and unleashed a massive disinformation attack on Marcon and then hacked him in the last days before the election and used US neo right pro-Trump supporters and even Trump tweeted support for her...THEN sends Marco a letter stating "we should overcome our differences.....meaning lift the sanctions...in full belief suddenly Marcon will forget what happened...
Stay on topic please. There are numerous other soapbox threads for you.

The increased slow step fighting between FSA and YPG which is filled to 90% by PKK fighters should be showing one where this is headed...
According to U.S. sources, the SDF is comprised of 30% to 45% Arab fighters. Any ideas as to the demographics of the SDF?

Are you claiming that the YPG is comprised of 90% Turkish Kurds?

I would remind you I have seen PKK shootouts on the streets of Hannover Germany long before the US named them a "terrorist group" and Turkey has been dueling with them since 1978...So in some aspects what Turkey states about PKK is exactly what the US naming of PKK as terrorists states/stated.
I have seen Kurds up to no good myself, but that does not mean that the Kurds in Turkey should have no self-determination.

The Turks have oppressed the Kurds for five centuries. This oppression includes Turkish ethnic supremacism, endemic corruption, authoritarian rule and disrespect for human rights in general. In particular, Turkey has used paramilitaries against the Kurds in a campaign of state terrorism. These Turkish paramilitaries are not dissimilar to the Loyalist/Unionist paramilitaries of Northern Ireland: they have overlapping memberships with the security services, they engage in narcotics trafficking, extortion and other crimes and they carry out extrajudicial killings, and they are protected by the state from prosecution.

As for the incident in Hanover, what exactly are you referring to? Can you be sure that it was the PKK as opposed to non-PKK Kurds in Germany?

...you actually mean the following...a country seeking it's own identity after Soviet suppression since 1918 right..then German suppression and then again Soviet suppression and then Russian oligarch theft of the entire State budget for one year...that "nationalism"??...
I will reply on the Russo-Ukrainian War thread in the interests of staying on-topic.