Thread: Gendarmerie / Paramilitary Policing (again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default We've been here before

Ah TheCurmudgeon,

SWC has passed through this area of interest before.

Just using 'gendarmerie' in a simple search I found threads:

1943 - Reorganization of the Imperial Iranian Gendarmerie (x7 posts 3k views)
    What are the SWC thoughts on policing in combat? (x37 posts 11k views)
    Federal Restrictions on using U.S. MPs for law enforcement on foreign soil (x40 views 7k views)
    Law Enforcement Advisory Capability as a Major Shortcoming (x32 posts, 5k)
    Cops Show Marines How To Take On Taliban (x20 posts, 5k views)
    U.S. Police in Peace and Stability Operations (x6 posts, 4k views)

Incidentally during 'The Troubles' the British Army increased the size of it's military police, with two regiments deployed at one time - when the army had responsibility for LE long ago.

In the Balkan peacekeeping much emphasis has been on the presence of small, company sized gendarmerie units; invariably from France, Italy and Spain.

In Afghanistan the UK was handicapped in deploying police advisers as most LE have no arms training, let alone experience; hence the reliance on our few armed police bodies (RUC/PSNI and MoD Police).

Didn't the USMC or US Army announce last year standing up a new enhanced military police unit?
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Didn't the USMC or US Army announce last year standing up a new enhanced military police unit?
    Was this what you were thinking of? "The Marine Corps is always looking for a few good people. If you have pride in yourself and what you do, the Marine Corps Civilian Police may be for you."

I recall hearing something along those lines a few years back, but I can't find anything now. I do think the Army MPs have increased their emphasis on population control.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

David, I think you may be referring to the Marine Corp Law Enforcement Battalions. The Army used to have Constabulary Groups during post-WW2 Europe and several years ago, an article advocated bringing those back during the Iraq War http://www.armytimes.com/community/o...1225/….I think it would make sense to have them for future use as well.

Morgan,

Thank you. Yes it is the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Battalions, which on a quick Google check have an active and reserve component.

Hopefully such formations learn from outside the USA too. The RCMP and the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have considerable UN experience, plus the key European Gendarmerie nations and a few others beyond - India comes to mind, with a variety of para-miltary formations. I am sure they'd be welcome in Northern Ireland too - not on the street though!
    davidbfpo