Thread: Gendarmerie / Paramilitary Policing (again)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A distinction with a difference

I seem to have run into a difference in definitions or at least application. It would appear that most military gendarmerie are used as a police force WITHIN the country of ther origin. What I am looking at is a force intended to conduct police type operations OUTSIDE their country of origin. Much more like the US constabulary forces after WWII. I am not sure any force like that exists.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Default A distinction with a difference - partial answer

Good point, but a number of UN peacekeeping missions have successfully used para-military units, invariably from nations with an armed gendarmerie, first for the occasional public order / riot control duties and when there is a preference for a less military response to situations. Plus the situation may make deploying traditional police officers simply too risky.

A number of European nations have earmarked deployable units, usually the French, Italians and Spanish, for international missions. I exclude SWAT teams. When I looked at this issue a few years ago both Australia (AFP) and Canada (RCMP) had small teams available to deploy.

You are right I cannot think of any Western nation that has:
    a force intended to conduct police type operations OUTSIDE their country of origin.
    davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    A number of European nations have earmarked deployable units, usually the French, Italians and Spanish, for international missions. I exclude SWAT teams. When I looked at this issue a few years ago both Australia (AFP) and Canada (RCMP) had small teams available to deploy.
    There is the USMC Security Force Regiment. Neither exactly SWAT nor gendarme, if I understand correctly.
    If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed. – Mark Twain (attributed)

Default Perhaps the right idea, but the wrong force.

Quote Originally Posted by ganulv View Post
    There is the USMC Security Force Regiment. Neither exactly SWAT nor gendarme, if I understand correctly.
    I think I like the idea, I just think they are in the wrong branch. The Marines should not be an occupation force (constabulary force), and that is where I see the gendarmerie conceptually being used. The Marines are a short duration force, at least as I understand them. This mission should fall to the Army (under the American force structure).
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---