Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Islamic Army of Iraq denounces Al-Qaeda in Iraq

Hmm, I wonder if the newfound IAI truce has anything to do with this new development with the Anbar Salvation Council?

Tribal Coalition in Anbar Said to Be Crumbling. Joshua Partlow and John Ward Anderson, Washington Post. 11 June.

A tribal coalition formed to oppose the extremist group al-Qaeda in Iraq, a development that U.S. officials say has reduced violence in Iraq's troubled Anbar province, is beginning to splinter, according to an Anbar tribal leader and a U.S. military official familiar with tribal politics.

In an interview in his Baghdad office, Ali Hatem Ali Suleiman, 35, a leader of the Dulaim confederation, the largest tribal organization in Anbar, said that the Anbar Salvation Council would be dissolved because of growing internal dissatisfaction over its cooperation with U.S. soldiers and the behavior of the council's most prominent member, Abdul Sattar Abu Risha. Suleiman called Abu Risha a "traitor" who "sells his beliefs, his religion and his people for money."

Abu Risha, who enjoys the support of U.S. military commanders, denied the allegations and said the council is not at risk of breaking apart. "There is no such thing going on," he said in a telephone interview from Jordan.
    Lt. Col. Richard D. Welch, a U.S. military official who works closely with the tribal leaders in Iraq, said that relations inside the group were strained and that he expected a complete overhaul of the coalition in coming days ...

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if the newfound IAI truce has anything to do with this new development with the Anbar Salvation Council?

Tribal Coalition in Anbar Said to Be Crumbling. Joshua Partlow and John Ward Anderson, Washington Post. 11 June.
    As I said in my other post ... this was going to happen. I am amazed that the council chiefs are still alive. The insurgency is flexible in its targetting if not uncanny in hitting the right victims at the right time.
    Putting Foot to Al Qaeda Ass Since 1993