Thread: Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned Newsletter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Couldn't agree more. I posted the piece on the "strategic" Lt under "trigger puller" at the SWJ b/c few Lts, SNCOs and NCOs have access to MCCLL. Then we wonder why we've done 6-8 rotations to OIF yet Marines continue to make significant mistakes thereby alienating the people during their first few months, only to realize they were to aggressive and then the next unit does the same...

Somehow our enemy is having disturbing success passing lessons learned, recruiting, funding ops, etc w/o SIPRNET, CAC readers, etc.

It's such a shame that we compartmentalize everything.

Council Member

The fact that a .mil address is no longer necessary opens up the MCCLL website to all of our junior officer and enlisted Marines that have not been issued .mil email addresses due to the expense incurred under NMCI.
    This statement sort of implies that getting everyone a CAC card and reader is cheaper than getting everyone a .mil e-mail address. I don't buy it. The Army had no problems in mandating that every single soldier in uniform, regardless of rank, get an AKO e-mail ccount. Many thousands of soldiers have both their AKO us.army.mil account and another NIPR .mil account specific to their unit of assignment. But getting the CAC cards and readers out has been a pain in the ass.

As others have noted, it is also a fraudulent solution to a false dilemma. Since the "junior officer and enlisted Marines" have to access MCCLL via a CAC card and reader, for the vast majority, they have no better access now than they did via the previous restriction to .mil address registration. In fact, many previous registrants now have access that is greatly restricted compared to that which they enjoyed previously. I feel the pain myself - as an us.army.mil registrant I have long been a big fan of the MCCLL site and always plugged it to my Army peers. With the CAC restriction in place, I am completely cut off.

Thus far, AKO, BCKS and CALL are still accessible with the AKO log-in. As a retiree, I maintain my AKO account, and still have full access to AKO and BCKS - both of which maintain reams of FOUO material - but CALL blocks me out. Should the Army fully implement the CAC restriction, I will be truly screwed. It's amazing how much I've come to rely on my AKO account over the years....

The stock answer seems to have become, "Acquire a CAC card reader and install the software you will get from your unit."

There was a lengthy thread about this over at Lightfighter.net. Many posters were climbing the wall with the restrictions that the Army had imposed, while a select few seem to have had success getting the right software to make things work.

Why is this kicking our butt so bad? I've come to rely on my AKO account to a great degree as well, and I'm not even Army.

I'm curious as to who mandated the shift with MCLL. Even a drilling Reserve member doesn't have time to bounce through the archives when he is mobilized. There are simply too many pre-deploy training requirements already on their plates. I'm sure the units will get creative and find work-arounds, but this is nuts.

Is there a petition around that I can jump on?