Thread: 3 Generals Spurn the Position of War "Czar"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I think they need to stop looking for retired generals who know better than to take the position.

Is this an attempt to formalize a role similar to the one that Col. House filled for Wilson? I guess that Marshall provided the same service for Roosevelt. Otherwise I would think that between them the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the President's Cabinet could give enough background and options for the President to fulfill his duties as Commander and Chief.
    It is right to learn, even from one's enemies
    Ovid

Well American Idol is headed toward its seasonal conclusiion so we could get a panel of experienced judges right there. Simon would most certainly ask the hard questions...

Mondor,

The cynic in me says, no, it is not a "COL House" or a "Marshall" role being sought. It is a buffer or barrier to deflect heat from getting unbearable.

Tom

The whole thing's become a farce now, anyway. How exactly is the 16th choice going to get respect from the bureaucracy now?

Actually, if the goal was to find a heat shield or fall guy, the ploy has worked by getting no takers. Now the rejoinder to the critics can be, "Don't blame us for this failure. We asked for help from the experts. None of the folks who could have helped us steer our way through this maelstrom answered the call of their country in its hour of need."

Quote Originally Posted by wm View Post
    Actually, if the goal was to find a heat shield or fall guy, the ploy has worked by getting no takers. Now the rejoinder to the critics can be, "Don't blame us for this failure. We asked for help from the experts. None of the folks who could have helped us steer our way through this maelstrom answered the call of their country in its hour of need."
    good point!