Thread: Personality Assessment Test

Default Personality Assessment Test

I recently read Orrin Deforest's book Slow Burn The rise and bitter fall of American Intelligence in Vietnam, in the book the author writes about a personality assessment test that was developed by the psychologist Dr. John Gittinger for use by the CIA, then later adapted by Bill Todd for use in a field environment. The test is described as a being like an IQ test with topics such as basic knowledge, spatial pattern recognition, digit spans and analytical questions. Based on the answers the test administrator is able to perform a personality assessment on the subject. Does anyone know of this test, and if so (the author of the book states he learned how to administer and evaluate the results in a few days) are there any books/documents/etc or know from whom I can learn this technique. Also does anyone know if the CIA or OGA's still use this test and how has it performed in the OEF/OIF theater of operations.

thanks
    Wierdbeard

I had the same thoughts while reading that book. It would be really interesting. I really liked that book and have recommended it along with Fisher of Men to some friends who are starting up a sort of HUMINT program. There is a lot to learn from that book but someone not open minded enough will not learn a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbeard View Post
    I recently read Orrin Deforest's book Slow Burn The rise and bitter fall of American Intelligence in Vietnam, in the book the author writes about a personality assessment test that was developed by the psychologist Dr. John Gittinger for use by the CIA, then later adapted by Bill Todd for use in a field environment. The test is described as a being like an IQ test with topics such as basic knowledge, spatial pattern recognition, digit spans and analytical questions. Based on the answers the test administrator is able to perform a personality assessment on the subject. Does anyone know of this test, and if so (the author of the book states he learned how to administer and evaluate the results in a few days) are there any books/documents/etc or know from whom I can learn this technique. Also does anyone know if the CIA or OGA's still use this test and how has it performed in the OEF/OIF theater of operations.

thanks
    Wierdbeard

Here's what you get when you get your Google on. The Personality Assessment System Foundation, named after the system Gittinger developed. Gives a pretty decent overview and I'm sure you could contact them. They give classes upon request in Nelsonville, OH with a 5 day intensive seminar in October.
    Example is better than precept.

RTK, thanks for the link, i had done a google search a while back and didn't find that link, me thinks me fingers may be a bit too fat. As for the book Bismark i definatly have recommended it to HUMINT folks as well as non MI folks that have expressed interest in how to better incorporate the HUMINT assets that they have available. I will be contacting the PAS site and see what they can tell me as far as the difference between Dr. Gittinger's original test and the one that was developed by Bill Todd, although with Intel related material its always a coin toss as to whether or not that is his name. Hopefully I will be able to attend one of the courses and if things go exceptionally well i can get Uncle Sam to pay for it.

-wierdbeard