Thread: Snipers Sniping & Countering them

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

- Scot, Scotch-Irish, not surprising

Default I'm impressed with the ability...

...of the scope to identify a drug lord as such at that distance.

As for the shooter eliminating an obvious immediate threat, well done.

Default Great job, but ...

Cpl Reynolds, who has killed 32 Taliban fighters, said: “I was quite proud of that shot. It is the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan. I am going to use that fact as a chat-up line in the pub when I get back home.”

I just gotta ask what kinda girl your likely to get
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---

Council Member

- I recall reading 'bout a year ago or so where a Canadian had the record for a while, but can't reference that

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by goesh
    - I recall reading 'bout a year ago or so where a Canadian had the record for a while, but can't reference that
    ....Cpl Reynolds, of Dalgety Bay, in Fife, together with his spotter Lance Corporal David Hatton, worked out different factors such as wind speed and the trajectory of the bullet to hit the target. Musa, who was more than 1,500 metres away, was taken out with a single shot to the chest.....
    The Canadian sniper was Cpl Rob Furlong, who took out his target at a distance of 2,430 meters in 2003 during Anaconda. A bit before that, a member of the same team, MCpl Arron Perry, took out his target at 2,380. Both were confirmed, and both broke Hathcock's long-standing record, so they were discussed a lot on the 'net at the time, including debate over which one fired which shot. Both hits were at distances that were quite a bit more than 1,500 meters that Cpl Reynolds reportedly exceeded, so lacking more precise information, it doesn't appear that he has definitively taken the record.

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    Hey Goesh,
    You actually were the author of Kentucky Windage and you are once again quoted herein for memory

Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
    It's hats-off to our Canadian allies currently engaging taliban and al qaidah forces in Afghanistan. Taken from the VFW March 07 edtion, we are informed of some down right impressive shooting:

Canadians set two (2) new world records for the farthest combat kill with a rifle. Gunny Hatchcock, USMC, held the record from a kill made in Viet Nam registered at 1.39 miles but Master Cpl. Arron Perry whacked an al qaidah fighter at 1.43 miles. The rifle and scope used were not specified. Not to be outdone by a mate, Cpl. Rob Furlong then dropped his man using a McMillan Tac-50, sending him to the promised land at a whopping distance of 1.5 miles! Ooooo-Rahhh! Let's hear it for the Kanucks and them awesome .50s.

When the chips are down, we can always count on the Canadians. In Operation Apollo, Canada dispatched 850 troops of the PPCLI to Afghanistan. They arrived with " I Love NY" stickers on their Coyote recon vehicles. During Operation Anaconda in March of 02', 5 Canadian snipers linked up with elements of the 101st Airborne in the Shahikot Valley. For 10 days, the snipers killed the enemy with amazing professional precision. In the words of one GI, "Thank God the Canadians were there."
    Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    Obviously, one who doesn't read The Small Wars Journal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
    Sometimes it takes someone without deep experience to think creatively.

Default measurements

1 Mile = 1600 meter,
    2400 meter = 1.5 Miles.

A scottish one. In my experience they tend not to be the fragile flower type.

SFC W

Default You are a master of understatment.

I've met too many who can outshoot me.

Won't even go into the wrestling...

Council Member

This seems very appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzC-l_lmUU

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    I've met too many who can outshoot me.
    You're about to shoot a score of 5000 though; next one....
    Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

Council Member

Hopefully, one who inherited a Highland "stalking estate!"

"Honey, can I use your rifle this evening while you're at PTA?"
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Council Member

Default What kinda girl ....

has been defined for all time by Ken:

The Scotch Irish in early America were noted for their wanton ways -- loud, rowdy and very tough girls, and the genre itself for the huge numbers of kids they had and their willingness ... to hop in bed with or marry outside the clan or sept ...
    leaving out the parentheticals (which he may re-insert, since it is his quote).

Perfect match for any Scottish gilly-suiter, I should think.

Nothing that results in human progress is achieved with unanimous consent. (Christopher Columbus)

All great truth passes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

ONWARD

From kiwigrunts link -

News of Harrison’s success comes amid concern over a rival insurgent sharpshooter who in a five-month spree has killed up to seven British soldiers, including a sniper, in and around the Taliban stronghold of Sangin.
    Sounds ominous. Apart from Valin's first link on the subject that mentioned an enemy 'sniper' being killed by a Jav, I haven't heard anything about the Taleban fielding snipers. To the contrary, all open source reports seem to indicate that the competent marksman is an exception amongst the insurgents. Hopefully the report is either erroneous or mistaken.
    '...the gods of war are capricious, and boldness often brings better results than reason would predict.'
    Donald Kagan

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
    Sorry, I just do not believe it. Two shots a 2,470m+ with an 8.59mm round, using the L-115A3 setup? Confirmed?
    Considering how few British Army snipers believed the Canadian claim, this one stretching credibility almost too far.
    About a year ago, a very experienced Recce Platoon Colour Sergeant who was back from theatre told me that in his opinion 90% of the claimed Sniper kills were spurious.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
    ...of the scope to identify a drug lord as such at that distance.

As for the shooter eliminating an obvious immediate threat, well done.
    Sniper observers often use 30x spotting scopes.

The 1,500 m shot seems to have been done with .338LapMag cartridge, and it was apparently a first shot hit unlike some hits at longer distances.

if it was with an .338 Lapua it IS/was a good shot.