Thread: Snipers Sniping & Countering them

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Bill DuPuy at TRADOC did a lot of things for the Army circa 1976, but a major downside was in not allowing combat experience to percolate up from the field.....During the 1980s the tendency of TRADOC and AMC to keep emphasizing the same points amounted to a willful self-delusion and self-blinding.
    Did Donn Starry take TRADOC in a different direction or was he a continuation of DuPuy?
    Last edited by Rifleman; 07-22-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper

Exclamation "C" Both of the above...

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Did Donn Starry take TRADOC in a different direction or was he a continuation of DuPuy?
    Both epitomized the "Leadership is Showmanship" and get there first with the most schools of military dominatrixisity. Both operated in an era where AMC and Congress had more to do with what the Army might think and do than did the Army itself, much less the brand new TRADOC. DePuy started and Starry continued movement of TRADOC into the decision making realm and wrestliing with AMC over primacy in future systems (I think that resulted in a broad draw...).

DePuy developed the concept of "Active Defense" (FM 100-5, 1976) It was badly flawed (created those dumb Battle Books among other things) and he had (probably unfortunately) won the battle with Jack Cushman at CAC who, surprisingly, had many much better ideas. Cushman was the first senior guy who pushed how to think, not what to think and who realized our training was marginal. When Starry took over at TRADOC, he kept up the push for info and Army dominance. He pushed and developed "Air Land Battle" (FM 100-5, 1981) an improvement over the active defense -- but still European and heavy forces oriented. Both concepts were very strong on WHAT to think (as is the whole Task, Condition and Standard process...)

Both of 'em were products of their time, responded to the Army's greatest threats (potential enemy AND domestic politics and budget) did probably more good than harm. They weren't perfect -- none of us are -- they did the best they could with what they had, I suppose...

Fortunately, Shy Meyer became Chief of Staff. He tried with little success to rein in the personnel bureaucracy but did curb some of Starry's wilder ideas and succeeded to an extent in fixing some of the damage and slowing the raging TRADOC monster created by two hard charging go-getters.

Interestingly, we are now approaching a period that will be broadly similar: Declining budget, end of long tedious wars, Army in flux, world in flux, prospects dim, much angst about everything. That happened post WW II with little effect, post Korea with good effect (though the inability of Congress and AMC to keep up with the Army doomed many good ideas) as well as in the Depuy and Starry post Viet Nam eras wiht mixed effect. Time for a good effect -- everything goes in cycles...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    DePuy developed the concept of "Active Defense" (FM 100-5, 1976) It was badly flawed (created those dumb Battle Books among other things) ...
    When I was in 6/9th FA in Giessen, Germany in '78-'81 I remember when someone in 3rd Armored Division lost his Battle Book during a terrain walk. He left it on top of the winterization kit (canvas roof) of his M151A1 jeep when they drove off to look at the next position. Thanks to him an entire brigade of 3rd AD had to change its war plans. Stars & Stripes even had a story about it.

Didn't Simon & Garfunkel have a song entitled "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover?" Perhaps the Kitakidogo Social Club should add a thread on "Fifty Ways to End Your Military Career." Being the modest and self-effacing guy I am I could only add 12 or 15 suggestions, based of course on my extensive military experience .

Mod's Note: Pete's idea for 'Fifty Ways to End Your Military Career' is now a thread:http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ad.php?t=13831
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-23-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Add Mod's Note