Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Snipers Sniping & Countering them

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

A new insurgent propaganda video shows how guerrillas have dramatically upped their kill rate of US soldiers with the help of The Ultimate Sniper, written by a retired US Marines major, John Plaster.

I have purchased 12 different sniper manuals over the last 5-6 years, and anyone one of them would have sufficed as the basis of some type of sniper training.

The problem/success with John's book (who is a personal friend) is that it was uniquely user friendly, and somewhat idiot proof. It demystified sniping and made it accessible, which is what it should not be, and not some "dark art" for the selected few.... which is why he had to put up with so much BS from the US Sniper community who all ran around say "but this guy wasn't a sniper."
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

For those with access (AKO log-in + BCKS forum registration) the BCKS Sniper Defeat forum has posted the new GTA 90-01-13 Joint Sniper Defeat Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    For those with access (AKO log-in + BCKS forum registration) the BCKS Sniper Defeat forum has posted the new GTA 90-01-13 Joint Sniper Defeat Handbook
    It is a good piece of work, well recieved here.

Tom

Default C-sniper help

I'm the asst S3 at a training battalion and I've been tasked to find information regarding c-sniper operations. I need everything from c-sniper defeat principles to tactical recommendations. If you have anything, please help as I searched fruitlessly on google and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance for all your support

Though not military there used to be a lot of law enforcement training in counter sniper tactics. The same with fire departments. Most of that kind of material though is not going to be available through Google. The FBI used to have an entire class on counter sniper operations for law enforcement. I have a couple of books sitting on my bookshelf from classes but they are all 15 years out of date.
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Default Here are a couple of links

Quote Originally Posted by Houng.Lee View Post
    I'm the asst S3 at a training battalion and I've been tasked to find information regarding c-sniper operations. I need everything from c-sniper defeat principles to tactical recommendations. If you have anything, please help as I searched fruitlessly on google and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance for all your support
    AKO Access required.

LINK

LINK

Council Member

Default Call

Have you looked in Center for Army Lessons Learned (CALL)? I remember from a trainup that we found counter-sniper training aides like pocket cards. There is probably other info there too. You could also look at the Fort Benning site and go into the Infantry School. They may have POCs or resources in the sniper school (Target Interdiction?) page.
    "What do you think this is, some kind of encounter group?"
    - Harry Callahan, The Enforcer.

Houng,

The army is paying a gazillion dollars to contractors to do all the data mining work for you.

Simply head to the below URL and submit your request. Operators are standing by.

https://call-rfi.leavenworth.army.mi...ewRequest.aspx
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Default Thanks for the help

Thank you all for the help. They were all great assets. Especially you Cav Guy... sir. I was in your COIN class (18-20 Feb at Ft. Meade). I knew there was a site like that, but I just couldn't remember. Thanks again sir

Default Additional assistance from CAC

As I recall...

CAC and Benning were tasked to form a C-sniper integrated capability development team (ICDT)...

I think this is the home of most of what they developed in cooperation with CALL

https://forums.bcks.army.mil/secure/...aspx?id=329139
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Default That's the upper link of

the two I gave him yesterday...

Whoops, that got truncated somehow.Thought all the below was there/here.

I did forget to suggest that if he has SIPR he can and should go JFCOM's KnIFE site, which is the JF CALL.

Here are some other links:

LINK.
    LINK.
    LINK.
    Last edited by Ken White; 02-27-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Involuntary truncation or stupidity by poster.

Thank you all for the help. They were all great assets. Especially you Cav Guy... sir. I was in your COIN class (18-20 Feb at Ft. Meade). I knew there was a site like that, but I just couldn't remember. Thanks again sir
    Thanks,

Hope you enjoyed the class. All our stuff is posted @ http://coin.army.mil in the knowledge center - including those videos we used.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

What kind of counter sniper operations are you thinking about? Snipers are like submarines, the best way to kill a sniper is with another sniper. Is this what you are after or are you looking for a way to mitigate the sniper threat in country?

Council Member

Hey Ken,

When I was new to the Corps and going thru a Regimental Scout/Sniper School there was a legend about a Marine Buck Sgt. sniper who was using a Cpl. Friday as bait to lure NK or ChiCom snipers in to revealing their positon by having him walk and run, bob and weave his way down the hill to a water point and and back up.

The story was that he killed several enemy snipers using this method and a story in Stars and Stirpes killed the baiting of enemy snipers because the brass or the mothers back in the states were horrified.

This wa supposed to have happened in the static war after the Frozen Chosin fight.

Recall that legend?

Default Yep. Not a legend, it's true

the Shooter was SSgt John Boitnott, Kentucky boy, 3/5. After the story hit S&S they told him to quit using PFC Friday for a decoy and gave him a meritorious promotion to TSgt, the 1946-58 version of a Gunnery sergeant. Last I heard, he was a MGySgt working in the Pentagon -- obviously he's long retired now. He was about 7 or 8 years older than me, I think...

There also about the same time was the Hershey Bar Kid, a Cpl in 2/5 (IIRC) who'd put a dozen Hershey's Tropical Chocolate Bars in his pockets and take off alone on three and four day scouting trips behind the Chinese lines. He alway brought back good intel and occasionally a, uh, 'souvenir' if some poor Chinese soldat had been unfortunate enough to be caught alone. He made the paper also -- and the word came down to have him stop; no individual forays...

No guts, no glory...

Council Member

SSgt John Boitnott's legend was alive and well in 1960.

M/3/5 was one of my most favorite outfits.

We didn't hear about the Hershybar Kid but there was an Amerindian, (Comanche or Apache) who liked to take a stroll and and he liked to find a occupied bunker and worm his way into it and kill the last man in it and leave his head with the first Chinese asleep at the door.

We took the story with a grain of salt, but I have seen Marines who could move that easily in and out of tight places.

I had a farmer in my squad from a ranch in S.D. who would go on night recons barefooted and never make a sound.

I'm sure we all have heard similar war stories about individuals who were almost invisible.

Council Member

Default Scots sniper kills taliban leader with longest shot

Daily Express
    8/9/09

A SCOTTISH soldier has been praised for making the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan after shooting a top Taliban fighter from almost a mile away.
    Corporal Christopher Reynolds took out the Afghan drug lord during some of the hardest fighting of the war so far.

The 25-year-old, of 3 Scots, The Black Watch, kept watch on a shop rooftop for three days to eliminate the target.
    But he admitted the top-level Taliban fighter – known as Musa – was so far away it took him a couple of attempts to get the aim right.

Initially Musa, who was with four men, did not even realise he was being shot at........

Council Member

- Scot, Scotch-Irish, not surprising

Default I'm impressed with the ability...

...of the scope to identify a drug lord as such at that distance.

As for the shooter eliminating an obvious immediate threat, well done.

Default Great job, but ...

Cpl Reynolds, who has killed 32 Taliban fighters, said: “I was quite proud of that shot. It is the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan. I am going to use that fact as a chat-up line in the pub when I get back home.”

I just gotta ask what kinda girl your likely to get
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---