Thread: Climate Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The earth is, in general, cooling. The earth's surface and atmosphere warm and cool, alternatively, independent of man's influence. Regardless if man has impacted this particular warming cycle, it is useful to see what we can do to react to warming and cooling cycles and how they impact man.

I am just chagrined that we are spending so much political energy on whether or not man can manipulate the earth's environment, and very little on dealing with the warming and cooling cycle's impact on man. I truly believe a "treatment model" is the correct one. The "prevention model" appears to be much more costly, and carries a very high risk of being completely and utterly wrong.

Council Member

Default Beware the TPP!

From FoxNews.com: 4/23/07:

" Report: Sheryl Crow's Solutions to Global Warming
    Monday, April 23, 2007

E-MAIL STORY RESPOND TO EDITOR PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
    Americans may be using less toilet paper, if Sheryl Crow has her way.

The singer, who is crossing the country on a biodiesel bus with producer Laurie David, proposes limiting toilet paper use as one solution to global warming, according to a Washington Post report.

"I have spent the better part of this tour trying to come up with easy ways for us all to become a part of the solution to global warming," she wrote April 19 on the Biodiesel Bus blog, according to a report by the Washington Post. "Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating."

Her toilet paper manifesto would limit how many squares of toilet paper Americans use in a sitting.

Click here to read the Washington Post report.

"Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required," she wrote. "

So beware the TPP (toilet paper police). You may be at a mall, get nabbed over an anonymous tip from an angry family member for using too much toilet paper and be dragged into the restroom and there made to drop your pants, bend over, spread the cheeks for a FMRAS (fecal matter residual assessment scan) and fined accordingly. Ms. Crow needs to stick to singing, which she ain't too bad at IMO and leave environmental policing to those agencies that bust people for dumping toxic chemicals in the backcountry. Next we all may be forced to take monthly trips to the zoo to pet whales and dolphins and apologize to them for earth abuse.

She needs to stay awhile in Southeast New Mexico. We eat green chili on everything. She'll back off the one square a visit real quick. She can't be serious. Next thing you know they are going to go after the toilet paper manufacturers. Big mistake in my book. If they are wrong about toilet paper than surely they have to be wrong on such important issues such as war and peace. Talk about being out of touch. No pun intended.

Default I'd be more likely to beleive it if....

I'd must admit that I think it is probable that the global climate might be heating up, the theory makes sense. But it is difficult to take the claim seriously with Al Gore leading the charge, I mean, was the earth heating up during the Clinton Administration? According to what I've read, it was, and nary a word from Al Gore during that time frame.

If we were in a crisis, I tend to think that more prominent voices within the realm of science would speak out. If a meteor was hurtling through outer space and was going to impact the earth, do you think scientists would remain as silent as they are on global warming?

The question really is; what is causing the warming?
    Don't taze me bro!

Interesting point SSG Rock,

So who would be acceptable as a spokesman? And, Al Gore has been an environmental Nazi since the 70's.

So MANY scientists have spoken out from the most prestigious portions of science and they are naysayed because they're not necessarily the right spokesman.

Perhaps the National Academies of Science is good enough?

Understanding Multiple Environmental Stresses: Report of a Workshop
    http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11748

How about a discussion about the discussion?
    Review of the U.S. Climate Science Program's Synthesis and Assessment Product 5.2, "Best Practice Approaches for Characterizing, Communicating, and Incorporating Scientific Uncertainty in Climate Decision Making"
    http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11873

The actual book that is often cited (incorrectly) by both sides of the discussion is an interesting read.
    Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Last 2,000 Years
    http://books.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11676

The common thread is that no one is listening to the scientists. HUNDREDS of peer reviewed literature articles say global warming is real, humans are a big part of it, CO2 sucks, and people say "I really don't like that scenario so I'm going to ignore you and find somebody who gives me a different answer".
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Of course, Mr Gore's only a Nazi when the rules don't apply to him. Shame he can't cut his own conspicuous consumption to help out. And no, I don't consider carbon offsets to be the same thing. He's only paying the Yuppie "feel good" fee and not actually reducing HIS part in the whole thing.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Historically, climate change does impact the military

Before we get too distracted, let's remember the chain of events that eventually led to the fall of the Roman Empire. A lot of things were involved, of course, but the various hordes moving west out of Central Asia into Roman territory was a significant factor by any assessment or interpretation.

The tribes were migrating west because of a change in the ability of the land in Central Asia to support crops, which in turn supported the horses and nomads.

This change in the carrying capacity of the land was due to a 2-3 degree change in year-round average temps.

If climate change was a significant factor in the fall of the Roman empire, shouldn't the guardians of the U.S. pay attention to climate change?

Climate change around the Aral sea in the past 20-30 years provide a great case study in impact of humans on the environment. The secondary and tertiary effects are of special interest, particularly the issues surrounding potable water.